Cleaning a filler neck

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
on my 66 dart, the original filler neck is mangled where the cap goes, so cap doesnt fit right.

I found a used filler neck off a 65 dart at the junk yard, which is not mangled but the inside of the tube is rusty down at the bottom , like that tongue that sticks out. the top of the neck, inside isnt rusty but is oxidizing white. Is there something I can soak this in to clear it all up? Vinegar? WD40?
Any ideas?
My tank is new so I dont want rusty getting into the system if I can help it.
thanks faboers

Buy a length of large diameter PVC pipe and put a cap on one end. Only has to be long enough for half the filler pipe, just flip the filler pipe over when one half is done.

Yea or just make a simple tub out of anything and line with a trash bag.
Thanks for the ideas. The neck has a long curve to it, so I dont think it would fit in a PVC pipe. I only bought a gallon of the Evaporust.

What I was hoping is somehow to plug one end of the filler neck, pour the solution into it and let it soak standing upright. I am unsure what I could use to plug the end, though. Maybe a balloon? Or would Evaporust eat it up? humm.... tinfoil with a rubberband? maybe one of those Fernco fittings?like a cap> it is black rubber

I want to update this thread. I did figure out a away to soak in Evaporust. After a few hours, most of the rust was gone, however it left a sticky green film inside the neck, that would not wash out. I ended up having to fart around with a long bottle brush and scrub it out. Too bad as the Evaporust selling points say NO SCRUBBING REQUIRED.

I want to update this thread. I did figure out a away to soak in Evaporust. After a few hours, most of the rust was gone, however it left a sticky green film inside the neck, that would not wash out. I ended up having to fart around with a long bottle brush and scrub it out. Too bad as the Evaporust selling points say NO SCRUBBING REQUIRED.
I have exactly the same problem that you just dealt with. Rust at the bottom of filler neck. concerned about the residue you mentioned, did it come out OK and leave good clean metal surface? Mine is 65 Valiant, - unable to find a repop, or a clean one at this point. would you still reccommend this method?

I have exactly the same problem that you just dealt with. Rust at the bottom of filler neck. concerned about the residue you mentioned, did it come out OK and leave good clean metal surface? Mine is 65 Valiant, - unable to find a repop, or a clean one at this point. would you still reccommend this method?
Well soaking it was a pain, the rust at the bottom did get removed, however you need a long, firm bottle brush to get all the residue off, all the time hosing it with water. It did all finally get clean. There was a nice clean one on Ebay 2 weeks ago, for $1 and $15 shipping. Dont recall if anyone bought it.

Well soaking it was a pain, the rust at the bottom did get removed, however you need a long, firm bottle brush to get all the residue off, all the time hosing it with water. It did all finally get clean. There was a nice clean one on Ebay 2 weeks ago, for $1 and $15 shipping. Dont recall if anyone bought it.
Found in my stash of chemicals a bottle of EXRust, from Kano labs, where I buy my Kroil penetrant (best stuff out there). I had not used this before, so hoped for the best, and got it. diluted it two parts of water to one EXRUST. submerged the rusty end of the pipe in an elbow of 1.5" PVC pipe, and then the whole thing in an empty ice cream carton (for safety in case of spill) Went to dinner, came back and metal is clean, ready for rinse and spray paint. I am very pleased, worked very well, and no scrubbing needed. I'll treat and paint to keep it from rusting again. Thanks to earlier post suggesting it in some kind of container. I'm lucky in that it was only affecting the bottom 2 or 3 inches.

I did a crankshaft with 1 gallon of Evaporust...I opened a black trashbag and layed it in my kids sandbox. I pushed the crank into the bag/sand until it was below the sand line, then you backfill the voids with sand so the trashbag is now formed to the crankshaft shape. make a berm with the bag then you pour in the Evaporust. With some luck, you can completely cover the crankshaft with 1 gallon of evaporust. Let it soak overnight and take it out. I toweled it off and let it dry in the sun. No more patina. Sucked the evaporust back into the container, only lost about a cup.

-
Back