cleaning carbon off pistons

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
Hey, guys was wondering what cheap and effective ways of cleaning carbon on pistions? i was thinking of using good old gas and a tooth brush what has worked for you

Hey, guys was wondering what cheap and effective ways of cleaning carbon on pistions? i was thinking of using good old gas and a tooth brush what has worked for you
A metal coffee can and mineral spirits worked well on my 383 Mag in 1991. I used carb cleaner on my Ironhead Harley and a toothbrush... in my living room. Forged Manley Pistons.. runs in the 7s in the 8 th... but the smell in the living room....

Using gasoline is a good way to injure someone. Fuel is for combustion..( and is poison) solvents are for cleaning ( and still flammable)
You wouldn't (shouldn't) use a screw driver for a chisel. The proper tool always works better.
Are the pistons still in the holes ? If so make sure what ever you use gets rinsed down and out of the oil pan.

Last edited:
I just cleaned mine with a small wire wheel on drill, then steel wool coarse and fine spraying brake cleaner until I thought it was good enough.
842D6AA9-4C8A-4DE4-98D4-A17AE4B230F8.jpeg
7F24B908-DFA3-41A6-AC88-2F6DF0A6826E.jpeg

Use carb cleaner, kerosene, or simple green then Dawn dish washing detergent and hot water, blow dry. A toothbrush or plastic bristle scrub brush works good.

P1010002.JPG
P1010004.JPG
P1010006.JPG
P1010008.JPG

Last edited:

Is the shortblock assembled?

I just did this in an assembled 400 shortblock using a 50/50 acetone-transmission fluid mix and it worked great with just a rag to wipe it off.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about using oven cleaner. I thought that oven cleaner didn't react well with aluminum and a lot of pistons made of aluminum.

Trim removal tool...the plastic kind to keep from gouging the cyl wall if the engine is still together.
Otherwise be careful and use a small putty knife.

Carb cleaner and a fine brass wire wheel. I tried using a toothbrush once, but couldn't get the taste out of my mouth for weeks afterwards...

I remember looking a set on rods pulled from a 64 or 65. I dont remember the valve reliefs...the wedgy sloped head I do remember..and a letter. Are those stock, modified or after market?
See post #9

010700_1422[00].jpg

I just remember a valve troff.
Not individually cut, just a troff like the 1st round of kb356's were but are now individually fly cut.
Haven't seen anything like that. All the aftermarket HP273 pistons look like the oem ones that I have seen but that has been in the last 10 years. Dould have been a old TRW or Jahns or something like that. Never say never.

Haven't seen anything like that. All the aftermarket HP273 pistons look like the oem ones that I have seen but that has been in the last 10 years. Dould have been a old TRW or Jahns or something like that. Never say never.

Old TRWs look the same, only forged. Same individual valve pockets.

Propane torch and a brass wire brush. Oven cleaner works and should not damage the piston. If they are out of the engine you can soak them in carb dip. Many ways to skin a cat.

I soak them in solvent then scrap them with a razor blade. then Finish it with emory sloth 80 grit!

No response from OP. Are the pistons out of the block ? Or what. That would make a big difference on cleaning the pistons.
Pistons are out the block. and yea i know gasloine is flammable thats why im doing this outside

Thanks for all the responses i ended up soaking the pistons in half a gallon of Gasoline mixed with 1 can berrymans fuel injector cleaner. Total cost 5.99 for the berryman fuel cleaner and 2.50 for the half a gallon. Used a wire brush let it sit for an hour. came out pretty good!

-
Back