Cleaning glass

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
What is the best method to clean the 50+ year old glass from my Barracuda. I have the Windows out in preparation for paint and think its a good time. Working on vent Windows this coming week

Man, I don't know but Ill tell ya what I do. if it is glass with heavy dust, start with water, hose it off. Stuff like overspray, I will use a razor scraper like the ones used for scraping State inspection stickers. Then I will finish with Windex window cleaner . Use the Windex however many times it takes. Also, if using razor scraper, change blades often.

What is the best method to clean the 50+ year old glass from my Barracuda. I have the Windows out in preparation for paint and think its a good time. Working on vent Windows this coming week
I had BAD water spots on my glass....tried EVERYTHING....nothing worked...
Until I heard about using Barkeepers Friend (Google it...)
Worked like a charm!
(Like $2.00 at Walmart)

Jeff

I recently discovered windex with clay bar works great.

Last edited:
To just clean windows use water with a little bit of dish soap in a spray bottle, it works better than windex or anything else and it won't streak, if it dose take a dry towel and it wipes right off

I ordered some "Cerium Oxide Powder" from ebay. It came with the buffing wheels and instructions. It worked SUPER GREAT. It actually polishes the glass, makes it look like new!! Even tiny dings/scratches will disappear.

9Pcs Glass Polishing Kit Scrach Remover 8OZ Cerium Oxide Powder 3'' Wheel Pad US | eBay

Or if you're in a hurry:

9Pcs Glass Polishing Kit Scrach Remover 8OZ Cerium Oxide Powder 3'' Wheel Pad US

8oz in enough to do 4 windshields.

Treblig

Thanks for that link.
I have been meaning to order some for the felt dust marks in my side windows, and what looks like the results of dirt on a wiper blade on the Wife's 72 Dart.
Most of the prices just for the cerium oxide were 35-40 bucks.
Both are just haze marks and this should do the trick.

I have used the Barkeepers friend also. Cleaning overspray I use straight box blades by hand with the Sprayway. Look at it closely. If it's heavily pitted from road debris/sand there's not much you can do with it. Never had much luck with the cerium oxide powders myself on anything other then really light marks.

I use Windex - Or - Castle cleaner, and wipe with a micro fiber towel. That works well vs. using paper towels, which leave streaks.

Thanks for that link.
I have been meaning to order some for the felt dust marks in my side windows, and what looks like the results of dirt on a wiper blade on the Wife's 72 Dart.
Most of the prices just for the cerium oxide were 35-40 bucks.
Both are just haze marks and this should do the trick.
Be sure and take care not to polish too long in one area or the glass will overheat and crack. I choose a cool day in the shade and continuously touch the glass with my bare fingers, when the glass starts to get warm I move to a different area and so on. The internet has plenty of U tube videos also. I also learned that if you use this stuff when the glass is still in the car you need to tape off/mask off as much of the area around the glass as possible because the fine powder (mixed with water) gets into every single nook and cranny then it dries and takes some elbow grease to remove. I used that 2 ft wide brown paper and painter's tape. With the buffing pads on a drill to can sling the slurry all over.

treblig

Be sure and take care not to polish too long in one area or the glass will overheat and crack. I choose a cool day in the shade and continuously touch the glass with my bare fingers, when the glass starts to get warm I move to a different area and so on. The internet has plenty of U tube videos also. I also learned that if you use this stuff when the glass is still in the car you need to tape off/mask off as much of the area around the glass as possible because the fine powder (mixed with water) gets into every single nook and cranny then it dries and takes some elbow grease to remove. I used that 2 ft wide brown paper and painter's tape. With the buffing pads on a drill to can sling the slurry all over.

treblig

Yep, up on all that but thanks for taking the time to warn me.:D
Also to make a dam at the bottom of the glass to recover some of the powder for reuse.
I'll be doing an entire window at a time and will not try to take out more than it is made to remove, and I have TONS of patience.
I have read 2-3 hours per glass isn't unheard of.

Yep, up on all that but thanks for taking the time to warn me.:D
Also to make a dam at the bottom of the glass to recover some of the powder for reuse.
I'll be doing an entire window at a time and will not try to take out more than it is made to remove, and I have TONS of patience.
I have read 2-3 hours per glass isn't unheard of.
You should be able to do each glass in an hour. The clean up takes a lot of time if you don't mask everything. It can be done faster in colder weather because the glass cools off faster. I had some wiper marks that took some extra effort (time) but I was really pleased with the results.
Good Luck!!

treblig

You should be able to do each glass in an hour. The clean up takes a lot of time if you don't mask everything. It can be done faster in colder weather because the glass cools off faster. I had some wiper marks that took some extra effort (time) but I was really pleased with the results.
Good Luck!!

treblig

Thank you, and thanks again for the info.

May sound real strange but 000 super fine steel wool with paste wax. Put wax on steel wool
rub away let dry and polish with clean rag. Takes away water spots film and leaves very clean
surface that stays cleaner and repels water. WILL NOT SCRATCH GLASS!

May sound real strange but 000 super fine steel wool with paste wax. Put wax on steel wool
rub away let dry and polish with clean rag. Takes away water spots film and leaves very clean
Even 00 wont scratch.

I like "Sprayway" glass cleaner. I found it cheap at Wal-Mart. Cleans well.

I just started using Sprayway also. It's WAY better than windex or similar glass cleaners IMO

I think I'll try this ^ ^ Thanks

At a cruise-in I had someone ask me how I got my glass so clean. I just use Sprayway.

My windshield is kinda rough though. I'm going to try the Cerium Powder

Be careful with the cerium powder. While using keep a good flow of water and if using a polisher/grinder keep the speed low and move it around a lot. I found you have to change or clean the pad/disc often. Also plan on lots of deflection from the process as it can really make a mess of things! I did mine on saw horses out in the yard and even then the back scatter went every where!

I ordered some "Cerium Oxide Powder" from ebay. It came with the buffing wheels and instructions. It worked SUPER GREAT. It actually polishes the glass, makes it look like new!! Even tiny dings/scratches will disappear.

9Pcs Glass Polishing Kit Scrach Remover 8OZ Cerium Oxide Powder 3'' Wheel Pad US | eBay

Or if you're in a hurry:

9Pcs Glass Polishing Kit Scrach Remover 8OZ Cerium Oxide Powder 3'' Wheel Pad US

8oz in enough to do 4 windshields.

Treblig
That's a product used in fiber optic connector polishing. Basically polishing glass.( I work in the industry) It has occurred to me that they also make polishing film impregnated with cerium and aluminum oxides to do the same job with a lot less mess. It comes in six inch discs and 8 by 12 sheets. I've often wondered why that wouldn't work with a small buffer?

Couldn't find a new rear window for my 64 Dart so I ended up buying a used one from a guy in New York.The Steel wool and bar keepers friend made it look almost as good as my new Windshield.

Bon Ami. The original 1886 Formula in the red package. Rinse well afterwards. Special order from Ace.

I have always used 0000 steal wool and glass cleaner followed by rain-x.

Yup....0000 steel wool will clean everything off with no scratching.
Amazing what a difference it makes on 40 year old glass.

"And they even used Bon Ami!"

bonami.jpg

:lol:

-
Back