Cleaning original fuel sender

-

Greasyfingers

Reaction score
I pulled the fuel tank out of my 64 dart today and found pinholes in it. The good part though is the original fuel sender actually tests perfect. The sender has a little rust and is kind of chalky.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to clean it up? I thought about soaking it in evaporust, but I don't know if it will screw it up.
IMG_20210314_172729028.jpg

Look at the parts carefully before considering evaporust as it's not galvanized friendly...

Personally I'd spray it down with Krown or Fluid film, let it soak in for awhile and then wipe it down, spray the rheostat with contact cleaner and run the arm back and forth, check again that it's running from ~10 full to 73 ohms empty and reinstall it.

there are repair services that will restore it, I don't recall the name but someone here will remember. Since the only other option is a aftermarket and they ALL suck it is worth the cost.

There is also a how to on rebuilding a sender in the how to section. most likely the nub on the sweep has worn away.

There is a softer metal contact rubbing a harder metal resistor wire inside the little box. You can bet that contact is well worn at this age. You say you tested it to be working so maybe just throw a new sock and seal at it and run it until it fails. Who ever restores it will make it pretty again.

The contact looks pretty good and the float is still sealed. The sender meters out correct, but I will check again after cleaning.

The tank has pinholes right where the strap holds it in.

I'll just clean the electrical parts with contact cleaner and scrub the rest with pb blaster and fine steel wool.

Take a can of DeOxIt and soak it all including the rheostat.

Instrument Specialties, not sure who else does it.

That contact eventually wears to a C or almost fish hook shape. Then it snags on the resistor winding that has lifted away from the board (no idea what causes that unless board shrinks with age). Whatever resistance value its hung at is what the gas gauge will show regardless of fuel level. Good luck with it.

-
Back