.. clear coat / matte finish ..

-

mopar66

Reaction score
just wondering if anybody out there can recommend a good source/brand for a good, durable matte finish (not satin gloss) clear coat paint in a rattle can ??
(yeah, i know,> rattle can isn't the best source to begin with for a good, durable paint :), but it's what i have to go with for this application)

thanks ahead of time for any answers/suggestions ..

What do you want to clear ? Spray bomb is fine for small parts. Matte finish clear is expensive

AdamR : looking to 'matte' clear my dash and instrument panel (which i just rebuilt) / repainted both items > have to paint dash in place mounted in the car / and don't have the equipment and resources to do it with a gun system at this point (sorry, i konw it's not the best way)... need to matte clear to get the 'look' i am going for with the rebuild/repaint ..

I've always found a matte finish without clear to chalk on big surfaces yet a simple black two stage adding deadener to the clear coat lasts. Of course it was raining the day of this photo...
66015.jpg

Anything getting sun needs 2k paint. Period. Get a quart setup of matte clear and a Preval Sprayer. https://www.google.com/search?q=preval+sprayer&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari
Yes you will have plenty left over but the durability with stain/chemical and UV resistance will be unmatched. Krylon the kids' red wagon.
You will need to practice on some panels a time or two to get used to it. The qt setup will be plenty for practice and the actual paint session. Clean the sprayer with laquer thinner or gun wash.

Have fun packed with the confidence knowing that you have done the job right.
:burnout:

He's painting the dash while its in the car. Rattle can is fine. Ive done tons of dashes with nothing more then SEM trim black. All sprayed out of a can. How much sun is it really going to see ? 1 cruise every weekend ?

I much prefer to use a gun and better quality paint but his dash will be fine. Not to mention it was painted with single stage from the factory

Attachments

• 166.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 307
Obviously you have never seen a preval sprayer. When using 2k products it is better than Sem and krylon combined 10 fold. SEM and krylon are in the same ball park. I will not use either if I want my job to last. I don't drive garage queens nor shoot dashes with 1k crap. LOL. Neither would I do it if I was gonna sell. Pretty lousy of a guy to pass something like that Mickey Mouse stuff down the line IMO. Krylon a dash and call it ok adam? Shame. I am Done here.
:wack:

You know you can get just about any paint put into a spray can right ? Cans are cheap and easy. Not everyone wants to spend $200 on painting a dash. He specifically asked about spray cans not 2K and Im willing to bet 90% of the guys here would do it the same way.

Also if your looking for factory colors for interior parts Herbs Parts has them already mixed in cans.

You can Krylon a dash and achieve a 95% OE finish appearance that will last years.

All for that low price of $8.00....

Just stack light and even coats.

And.... Who gives a crap if it starts to fade in 3-5 years, spend another 8 bucks and give it a light, fresh, top coat.

THANKS guys for the practical help ! ..
i'm on a tight budget and got the answers i needed to get me going in a direction i can afford to go and still get satisfactory results .. thanks again ..

You know you can get just about any paint put into a spray can right ? Cans are cheap and easy. Not everyone wants to spend $200 on painting a dash. He specifically asked about spray cans not 2K and Im willing to bet 90% of the guys here would do it the same way.

Also if your looking for factory colors for interior parts Herbs Parts has them already mixed in cans.

Local paint shop does a ton of business mixing up rattle cans, I have a few for the black that is on my car......Hell, the bottom of my car was done with Rusteloum that EZ mixed and sprayed. I think my dash & doors were done this way as well......

You can Krylon a dash and achieve a 95% OE finish appearance that will last years.

All for that low price of $8.00....

Just stack light and even coats.

And.... Who gives a crap if it starts to fade in 3-5 years, spend another 8 bucks and give it a light, fresh, top coat.

Si.......and that is a big 'IF".......

I can do it and be doe for 40 bucks with 20 years life span with the spray can setup i gave him and 2k product you mix and pour in it. Preval prayers. Searh it. Amazon carries the sime little aerosol type spraye for 10 bucks on top of that. If ya use a brush on that rusteum you won't have to mask. Smile. Rofl

The preval aerosol sprayer. Anybody seen this 10 dollar aerosol spray can?

Oh well pride goeth before destruction.....to each his own.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 234
Keep the continer warm.above 75.These,are sweet,until the propellent can ,frezzeses over.

i've used the preval sprayers and they really are nice, especially if you are doing custom colors. I have no one close that will mix paint into a spray can. wish i did though.

I can do it and be doe for 40 bucks with 20 years life span with the spray can setup i gave him and 2k product you mix and pour in it. Preval prayers. Searh it. Amazon carries the sime little aerosol type spraye for 10 bucks on top of that. If ya use a brush on that rusteum you won't have to mask. Smile. Rofl

Were is he going to get less then a quart of matte clear ? Last pint I bought was over $100. He's not asking about color, he's asking about matte clear,

Even TCP's house brand is $100 http://www.tcpglobal.com/Customshop/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=KUS+KIT-HRF289-M-QT Then he needs to sand the dash because he most likely already spray painted it and he cant use the good clear over the spray paint. Im not arguing that the 2K is a better product, Its just not what he asked about.

-
Back