Clever anit-theft switches

-
my 727 has a switch build in that refuses to let the car start unless it is in neutral or park

shouldnt be too hard to take that switch, extend the wiring and add a second switch into
This is what I'm going to do once I get some time to figure out which wires to cut.

You can avoid all the electrical switches & relays & just get a three on the tree, pretty much weeds out the latest generation from being able to drive it.

You can avoid all the electrical switches & relays & just get a three on the tree, pretty much weeds out the latest generation from being able to drive it.

and...waiting for a picture to pop up

Did not know about the MSD white wire, thanks. I also like the idea of the neutral safety wire interrupt locking out the starter relay. Maybe use both.

MSD Kill.jpg

I added a solenoid switch to the washer spray button and a keep alive circuit to the solenoid as well. To start the car, turn the key to run and hit the spray switch. When key turns off, the stay alive circuit also dies to reset it automatically. The solenoid controls the hot wire to the coil from the ignition switch. I also addded a hidden bypass switch to the whole deal so when the car is in for service, I don't need to reveal my device to them.

Yes, to your question about grounding the HEI tac lead. Many of the older Sun diagnostic machines would let you ground out individual cylinders by pushing cylinder buttons for that purpose.

For the most part, what does it take to get our cars started, for my 70 dart all it would take is a piece of wire four foot long and something metal to jump over the starter relay, nothing more. Current to the ignition and bypass the start relay via wrench, pliers or, screwdriver and the motor is running, this is a “factory stock car”. But don't over look the fact this car has reverse lock, locking steering column, OK slide hammer and then jerk the cylinder lock out or crescent wrench and just give a good twist, turn the column by hand, there you go, off and running. Putting the battery in the trunk and having your main switch in the trunk or hidden somewhere in the car is a good ideal, especially if you can remove the switch handle.

I like the ideal of the wheel locks the police use, the hub also covers the lug nuts, so removing one would be almost impossible, steering bar locks, the ones that hook to the pedal and then attach to the steering wheel itself. I am thinking I going to look into the brake line locks, manual or electric. Pull into somewhere push on the brakes and turn the knob, brakes are on, locked. Install on the front brakes or rear brakes or both?

Does anyone know if grounding the tach wire will work for GM-style HEI ignitions?

YES. On a side note, the interesting thing about GM HEI is that when the key is on, engine not running, HEI does NOT normally draw current through the coil as does points or the Mopar ECU, or the older Jeep electronic from the '70s

(My cousin went through two or three Jeep ECU it turned out he was listening to the radio, with key in "run" instead of accessory)

Did not know about the MSD white wire, thanks. I also like the idea of the neutral safety wire interrupt locking out the starter relay. Maybe use both.

View attachment 1715042164
a push button momentary switch would be better in my opinion. Push ina nd hold it while starting, let off after start. no having to flip it on or off to leave the car. just hide it where u can use it easily and not be noticeable at all.

If I told you, then everyone would know & it wouldn't work any more...

electric fuel pump switch under dash/cigar lighter/defrost button, turn it off and they wont get far, but they will still get somewhere...

Wire a push-button in series w/ the yellow wire from key switch to engine bay. You must push it as you turn key to "crank". Of course, anyone smart can jumper under the hood - BAT+ to ballast and touch 12 V to "start" on starter relay. You could wire a switch in series w/ the NSS to stop the later, though they could still do the "screwdriver to starter" trick. With EFI and/or an electric fuel pump, you have more options. I would like to take the time to wire a coil to give a thief a big shock. My 69 Dart was stolen in front of my house in 1994 and the license plate found on a stolen Jetta 7 yrs later in a redneck county. Car was never found, but the police don't really look. I did once do the "nails in plywood board, facing up" like a Charles Bronson movie when I suspected someone was jumping over my fence at night in Atlanta, but it saw no action.

-
Back