Clifford Products

-

Money Pit

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the Clifford intake manifold and headers? I read the threads about the internal engine components but I don't recall seeing anything about the intake and headers.
Does anyone have any experience with the Offenhauser manifold and split flange headers? I was watching Powernation the other day. They had to grind the intake manifold so it would fit flush with the header flange. Summit Racing says the intake is for use with the stock exhaust only. If that's the case, will it also bolt to the exhaust manifold like the stock intake? Thanks.

The Clifford intake is designed to work with headers as it has no provisions like the Offy 4 barrel to mate with a stock exhaust (either bolt-wise or to heat the intake manifold). The Clifford is geared more towards higher RPMs/racing whereas the Offy is more suited to the street. Summit is incorrect about the usage.

The Clifford intake is designed to work with headers as it has no provisions like the Offy 4 barrel to mate with a stock exhaust (either bolt-wise or to heat the intake manifold). The Clifford is geared more towards higher RPMs/racing whereas the Offy is more suited to the street. Summit is incorrect about the usage.
I have a Clifford 2 bbl. intake and headers on a stock rebuilt 250 CI 73 Chevy P.U. since 1998. Really noticed an
increase in performance. The only thing I noticed is they tend to get loose and eat gaskets. Clifford recommends a
cardboard type of gasket over metal. Truck doesn't run that well now and I suspect it is the carb because of almost
20 years of running fuel with ethanol content. It has a Holley 2 bbl. carb. The engine got fried at 198,000 miles
because of a stuck thermostat.

Be very careful before you decide to (not) spend any money with Clifford. They have a long and ugly reputation for being a bunch of clowns; see for example here, here, here, here, and here. Much of what they sell is inaccurately described, and a lot of it is not even slightly cost-effective. The good news is that you don't need to go to Clifford to get hot rod parts for slant-6s; there are lots of other, better options. See for example Dutra Duals and header options discussed in this thread and this one, Erson custom cams, HEI ignition upgrade, Mike Jeffreys windage trays, Hurricane intakes, other exotic intakes. Hi-perf engine buildup here, high-perf parts and build info here.

Does anyone have experience with the Clifford intake manifold and headers? I read the threads about the internal engine components but I don't recall seeing anything about the intake and headers.
Does anyone have any experience with the Offenhauser manifold and split flange headers? I was watching Powernation the other day. They had to grind the intake manifold so it would fit flush with the header flange. Summit Racing says the intake is for use with the stock exhaust only. If that's the case, will it also bolt to the exhaust manifold like the stock intake? Thanks.
1st, Welcome to FABO !!
2nd, most of us w/o a TV show don't mill the intake to correct that, LOL!! A lot of headers including the older DC/MP ones needed 1/4" nuts welded to the header flange to
give the bridging washers a level clamping base.
Clifford has a couple of different products out there for slantys, if You haven't seen a thread about intakes and headers, You haven't looked too deep in the slanty forum
here!!! There's plenty of discussion/debate, so get a cup of coffee & start cruisin back through the pages, or use the search function in the upper right & read up!

How, about the Dutra setup. Affordable?

A single Dutra manifold was about $250 plus shipping the last time I checked with Doug, Using a single front and the modified OE rear casting will let you keep manifold heat to an OEM single or Super Six manifold as well as the Offy 4 barrel manifold and let you run dual exhaust or join the 2 headpipes down under the car to a single pipe.

Does anyone have experience with the Clifford intake manifold and headers?

Back in the 80'swhen Jack Clifford owned Clifford, they had some decent products. I bought a Clifford 4 barrel intake and a set of long tube headers (the only headers that would clear PS on an early A Body) and used them on my 65 Dart convertible. Stand at the rear with the engine running and it sounded like a V8 but definitely a different sound when getting on it. The combination was OK but would have been much better if I knew then what I know now that the engine really needs some upgrading in compression and a better cam to take advantage of the the add-ons.

I will be using an Offy 4 barrel intake and a set of the long discontinued Clifford long tube headers in my 65 wagon with power steering. The Offy manifold flange is the same 1/2 inch thickness as the header flanges so no grinding needed. Back when I did the Clifford intake/headers on the convertible, the flanges were the same 1/2 inch thickness. I do not know what they are now.

If I wanted to order a Dutra exhaust, how do I contact them. When I google it, it takes me to the slant six forum web page. I tried using several link, thew same thing happens. Thanks

I'm in an endless loop. This link also takes me to the slant six forum page that describes the manifold. Is there a direct link? Thanks

I just was up to see Doug and got me a DD .. the cost is up to $295 and that with me picking it up from him ..

-
Back