cloning

-

oojoe

Reaction score
hi, guys i have a question about cloning a 74 duster to a 72 is there anybody out there that can answer a few questios thanks,oojoe

I would say ask away the questions. I am sure there are people here that can get you an answer, if not here probably nowhere.

It's a big job. We have had several threads on this. In my opinion you would be money ahead just getting the year of car you want.

Why? You want a 72 go buy one. If you go thru with it make sure to start yet another thread about vin swapping.....we need another one of those....it's only been a month or so since the last one surfaced.....

Why? You want a 72 go buy one.

that's not really in the spirit of muscle cars is it ?

we don't go out and buy what we want, we buy what we can afford and in time turn it into what we want

how many people on here bought the car they drive now with the engine they wanted in it ?

I say go for it, buy a 73-74 duster or dart sport and put whatever front end on it you want
heck, slap on a 70 superbee front end and some 74 cuda taillights
chances are, with the money you save buying a 73-74 instead of a 70-72 you will break even if not come out on top

Basic answer: you swap all bolt-on body parts ahead of the windshield.
Hood, hood latch support, fenders, bumper, grille, headlight bezels (I think that's it).
If you have access to the parts it can make sense.

most importantly, the rear body panel must be cut out and replaced and new bumper brackets installed with said bumpers of the year you desire. don't forget the tail-lights, gotta have those. Not all that hard if you have some skills with autobody.

I did it to mine not a big deal at all find a parts car and do it.
I did not change the tail panel yet but will when its in the budget.

Hood
Fenders
Grill
Hood latch
Bumper

I did it to mine also. I went with 71 though. All I replaced was hood and grill in front and tail light panel in back, well and bumpers.

Why not do it?
It is a lot of work if you really want an accurate looking car inside and out.
If you only want the exterior to look like a '72, it's pretty straight forward.

I did this to my 73 Scamp. I liked the way the 70 Darts looked plus I had one in 74 that I wrecked. Luckily I saved most of the parts. I only paid $350 for the Scamp.

Fred B

Attachments

• PA050012 (640x480).jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 124
24 hr. is a little early to declare awol, LOL...

I say go for it. And, those '74 front fenders you have will work fine, you just have to weld on a small bracket at the front. I used a '74 Duster fender when I did my '72.
AMD has a quality tail panel. I have a set of the inner brackets you will need for the tail panel, let them go pretty cheap to see them put to good use.

Hardest part to get will probably be the grill assembly, if you want a good sharks tooth it will also be the most expensive part!
C

-
Back