Cluster gear fix ?

-

Mojack

Reaction score
I've got a basket case 4 speed from a friend. He had someone take it apart, years ago, to look for a vibration that turned out to be the driveshaft, in part. He went to an automatic and I snagged the disassembled 4 speed. It looks like the thrust bearing caught some metal bits and scored the cluster gear to the point of shearing the tangs off the back of the thrust bearing. Whats my best option here, I think I can borrow a DoAll grinder and dress the end of the cluster in my lathe, then polish it. I know I'd have to shim behind the new thrust bearings. I'd rather not have to buy a replacement if i can help it. Sound feasible?

Also, this is an older style syncro '68 vintage tranny, is this width keeper right for this width syncro? I only knew of the one size slot vs the later tang syncros so I'm thinking this is right..right...?

Attachments

• 20151214_201414.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 261
  • 20151212_174325.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 248
The brass and struts are a match like that.

I don't know if you can lathe that off. But you can grind it off for sure. But however you repair it, you will have to fab a spacer to adjust the endplay. Now;the spacer will have to be anchored to the case, or it will all just overheat and you will have a repeat performance.
I suppose you could fab the spacer out of bronze and eliminate the thrust-washer altogether.But you'd have to fix the case too, and provide oiling to both sides of the spacer

Have fun

Thanks AJ, Brewers sells shims for end play adj. but I'll have to see how much I have to grind off, hmmm.....bronze, I like that idea. I could mill the backside off and leave some honkin big tangs that wouldn't shear off. :burnout:

Your kind of damage is very rare. It was probably oil related.I used to rebuild trannys for a living. I built thousands, and thousands, of trannys. Very few looked like yours.

That kind of damage looks like the cluster was being loaded toward that end, but I can't imagine how that could happen. Maybe just a lot of trash got embedded in the washer. Thanks

I'm going to call this part a win. It ground out the marks without going too deep and some sanding with a wore out flapper disc. A little sanding with 600 then 1500 paper I believe will be as good as new. I filed the high spots in the case and mocked it up. The factory tolerance is up to .029 and I'm at .051 with the factory washers installed so I'll have to decide where to shim up the difference or go with the bronze washer idea....:scratch:

Attachments

• 20151220_161841.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 20151220_162311.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 214
  • 20151220_165132.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 216
You might want to put two grooves in the end of that gear cluster for lube to get to it.
V shaped with polished edges and about 1/16 deep and 3/16 or so wide and polished edges if you can and it'll stop that from happening again.

That was a definite lack of lube problem.

Attachments

• gear.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 201
!!!excellento!!!

www.excellento.fi.logo.png

You might want to put two grooves in the end of that gear cluster for lube to get to it.
V shaped with polished edges and about 1/16 deep and 3/16 or so wide and polished edges if you can and it'll stop that from happening again.

That was a definite lack of lube problem.

The thrust washers have that v notch, I think I'll try and duplicate that treatment in some bronze spacer/thrust washers. Wish me luck!

The thrust washers have that v notch, I think I'll try and duplicate that treatment in some bronze spacer/thrust washers. Wish me luck!

Ah, good.

Good luck, and from seeing what you were able to do so far, I think you got it nailed.

Wow, bearing bronze isn't cheap, but I found some locally so that's good. Got them machined and trial fitted everything, it's still a little tight so I'll have to take a little more off. About .007" off each washer should get me at the low end of the factory clearance. That's a lot of work to save those parts, but I hate to give up and just throw money at something if it can be fixed.

Attachments

• 20151231_150725.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 20151231_170621.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 20151231_184108.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 20151231_194223.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 129
Wow, bearing bronze isn't cheap, but I found some locally so that's good. Got them machined and trial fitted everything, it's still a little tight so I'll have to take a little more off. About .007" off each washer should get me at the low end of the factory clearance. That's a lot of work to save those parts, but I hate to give up and just throw money at something if it can be fixed.

What's the worst that can happen, it messes up the end of the cluster gear? :D

I think it's going to be fine from what I'm seeing.

-
Back