Clutch fan vs derale single 2400cfm fan

-
In regards to mechanical fans. more blades the better?
rnb-620-148_vv_xl.jpg

So I just pulled off old shroud and that flex fan and did some measurements I'm not sure with the new cold case that's 3 inch thick will fit the clutch fan? I heard of some guys using the HHR fan saying it pulls a lot of cfm? Is that true? Like more than the derale setup I was originally going to with?

This is what it looks like with the champion 3 row. But I am putting in that cold case tomorrow when it shows up and it supposed to be thicker

PXL_20220317_005417351.MP.jpg

If the new one is even closer I'd be concerned. Maybe run poly mounts.
Yeah I pulled off the flex fan and the spacer just so I could mock it up with the new Hayden clutch fan and that looks pretty close. Motor mounts are a few months old. I'm not sure why my engine would be so much closer

In regards to mechanical fans. more blades the better?
View attachment 1715889208
It would seem so but I don’t know for sure. I’d bet there’s a bit of science behind the use of less blades. One example is the MP Viscous fan package offered for years and years that came with 5 blades oddly spaced apart. All I know about it is, it really moves some air!

I'm gonna disagree on you on this. The Derale fan shroud stands off the radiator at least an inch creating a plenum that will allow the fan to draw air across the entire radiator
I agree with you that in that one condition the shroud will be fine BUT most of the time the car is moving and for air to turn 90 degrees is not easy. And it WILL build up static pressure between the shroud and the rad and that WIll cause airflow issues at anything other than sitting still.

Spray a garden hose perpendicular to a flat piece of whatever your going to get wet.

Spray it at an angle and not so much.

One guy saw a 3.85% gain in HP and 8.93% gain in Torque going from clutched mechanical to electric. Whats a ~4% gain of HP on your motor? 9% torque gain?

Agreed, for more improvement, disconnect the field wire to your Alternator.

But in the real world (not the drag racing world) a mechanical fan will not fail you verses a poorly designed electric fan and shroud.

I'm not against electric fans or aluminum radiators for that matter, I just see post after post where someone has the newest latest aluminium radiator and electric fans and is complaining that they are overheating in one situation or another.

If an A body can run fine from the factory with a 383 or 440 under the hood with stock parts why recreate the wheel and cross your fingers that the new combination of parts will be good for a mildly worked over 318 or 340 or 360.

Last edited:
Same argument says Ford Taurus' (even SHO) ran fine (as well as every transverse mounted motor) with stock electric fan only for ever. Air can turn corners just fine......its light. There is no fuel in suspension so they can make intakes with all sorts of 90 turns in it. Air in a rad plenum is no different but with a whopper of a chopper within 2 inches of it. I'm open to see some data on any high pressure readings inside a working fan shroud.
a-photos%2F27671-ais-2002-2007-later-honda-intake-manifold-17110-zy3-003-175-200-225-250-hp-v6-2.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with you that in that one condition the shroud will be fine BUT most of the time the car is moving and for air to turn 90 degrees is not easy.
So sorry, where is the air turning 90*’s in the radiator system?
And it WILL build up static pressure between the shroud and the rad and that WIll cause airflow issues at anything other than sitting still.
In a moving car? I’m having a problem seeing this.
Agreed, for more improvement, disconnect the field wire to your Alternator.
Why? The amount of draw on the alternator is minimal.
If an A body can run fine from the factory with a 383 or 440 under the hood with stock parts why recreate the wheel and cross your fingers that the new combination of parts will be good for a mildly worked over 318 or 340 or 360.
How much power will a stock 3 core radiator dissipate? Better yet, or easier to understand, how much HP?
Is there a size difference between the small block and big block radiator? I have a stock 3 core unit in the wife’s ‘67 Cuda.

. Air in a rad plenum is no different
So sorry, where is the air turning 90*’s in the radiator system
Anywhere other than where the hole in the shroud for the fan is. The air comes in and through the radiator core fins, then it has to turn 90 deg to find the hole in the shroud ( poorly made flat shroud) to exit.
In a moving car? I’m having a problem seeing this.
If the fan hole in the shroud is smaller than the area of the radiator core there will be an increase in pressure in the shroud. But what I'm talking about is if you put a flat surface in close proximity to the back of the radiator a high pressure zone is created and it will slow the airflow.
Why? The amount of draw on the alternator is minimal
It's not the load from the field cir, it's the load that the alternator puts on the engine trying to power all the load of the car.

40 amps worth of electric fans is 480 watts or 0.6 HP. On top of that direct conversion is efficiency losses, ie maybe it takes 1 HP (745 watts) from the engine to produce 480 watts for the fan.
Is there a size difference between the small block and big block radiator? I have a stock 3 core unit in the wife’s ‘67 Cuda
From what I have seen the stock 383 radiator is physically the same size the inlet and outlet is larger in diameter.

I am sure the fins per inch and the construction of the tubes is different, not to mention the water pump, pulleys, etc.

I have a stock HP/AC radiator and a stock standard cooling rad. The tubes are the same except the HP/AC rad the tubes are (just numbers for example) 1/2" long by 3/16" wide vs 1/2" long by 1/8" wide.

All I'm going to say about the subject. If you think I'm full of **** so be it. I know what has worked and what hasen't in my life experience.

The Taurus 2 speed fan will pull 12 (165W) and 30-33A (415W). Thats nothing compares to a mechanical fans drag. Ill keep my electric and let the community determine what is best for their application with the data in this thread.

The Taurus 2 speed fan will pull 12 (165W) and 30-33A (415W). Thats nothing compares to a mechanical fans drag. Ill keep my electric and let the community determine what is best for their application with the data in this thread.
Those Taurus fans are beasts! I've got one I'll likely use on the 66 BB Dart. The T-bird and Mark VIII fans blow a TON of air too. You can't beat OEM fans for electric, as far as I'm concerned. There're lots of good ones out there.

Those Taurus fans are beasts! I've got one I'll likely use on the 66 BB Dart. The T-bird and Mark VIII fans blow a TON of air too. You can't beat OEM fans for electric, as far as I'm concerned. There're lots of good ones out there.
Yeah I might give one a try

Anywhere other than where the hole in the shroud for the fan is. The air comes in and through the radiator core fins, then it has to turn 90 deg to find the hole in the shroud ( poorly made flat shroud) to exit.
OH! Gotcha!!!! Poorly made fan shrouds!

From what I have seen the stock 383 radiator is physically the same size the inlet and outlet is larger in diameter.

I am sure the fins per inch and the construction of the tubes is different, not to mention the water pump, pulleys, etc.

I have a stock HP/AC radiator and a stock standard cooling rad. The tubes are the same except the HP/AC rad the tubes are (just numbers for example) 1/2" long by 3/16" wide vs 1/2" long by 1/8" wide.

All I'm going to say about the subject. If you think I'm full of **** so be it. I know what has worked and what hasen't in my life experience.
It’s not that I think your full of it though I thought I was about to strongly disagree on a point or two. But clarification is what I was after. Thanks for clearing that up. Now it makes sense to me. Hence why I asked.
Also thanks for the radiator description.
Much appreciated.

This is very true.

^^ '95 or older 3.8's or this '98 Ford Coutour/Merc Mystique, talk about overkill! This one is thicker. Jeep liberty is another option from another site.
use-your-jeep-16685d1365775227-contour-fan-upgrade-need-step-step-please-8641968425_382c6b1147_h.jpg

So check it out guys I got everything installed with the cold case radiator and clutch fan and this is how close it sits. Also got the Taurus fan to take a look at it and see if that would work but tell me if this fan clutch too close for comfort

PXL_20220319_024505277.MP.jpg

So check it out guys I got everything installed with the cold case radiator and clutch fan and this is how close it sits. Also got the Taurus fan to take a look at it and see if that would work but tell me if this fan clutch too close for comfort

View attachment 1715892552
How close is it? Sometimes pictures can be deceiving. What motor and transmission mounts are you running?

How close is it? Sometimes pictures can be deceiving. What motor and transmission mounts are you running?
Stock mounts except I might switch my engine mounts to the mighty mounts soon. You can get your index finger in between the two and that's about it I want to say half inch or so

-
Back