Clutch fan

-

downsr

Reaction score
I have a clutch fan and shroud that came on my duster 340.Is this a good set up for cooling a 416 stroker .Can someone explain how the clutch fan works and the pros and cons of it

It's hard to say if it will be adequate for your stroker, but it's probably worth trying.

The idea of the clutch fan is that the fan spins slower than the pulley is turning. This means it moves less air at high RPMs, so it doesn't use up as much HP. This is all good, but the thing is, there are different clutches, some of which have thermostats, and which spin at different percentages of the pulley speed. So the one that worked for a stock 340 may or may not work for your stroker, depending on how much power it puts out, and where it runs in the RPM range (i.e. gearing). The water pump and radiator are other factors, of course.

You will probably just need to try out your cooling combination and find out, if you aren't committing to some kind of aftermarket package from the get go.

It should work fine as long as the clutch is still good. The radiator is a 22" and that will probably need to be recored with hi capacity tube and fin.

Different clutches are designed to slip at different rates.

Non-thermostatic clutches(no coil spring) slip about 50 percent but are engaged all the time.

Standard-duty thermostatic clutches slip about 30 percent when engaged, but do disengage and freewheel.

Heavy-Duty thermostatic fan clutches slip about 15 percent and also will freewheel.

Usually on Mopars there are 5-blade and 7-blade fans. The important thing is the PITCH of the blades. Deep blades move lots of air. You also need a shroud that covers half the depth of the fan blades.

In comparison, those flex fans everyone used to tout so much, including the factory Mopar versions, flatten the blades out at about 2000 rpm and move little air, although they do a good job of slowing down the air through the radiator at the same time:wack:

I think you will need more than a 22" radiator for that size engine unless the core support lacks the opening for a 26" radiator. My brother's 440 would not stay cool with the factory 2-core 26" rad and clutch fan. He had it recored to a 3-core and so far so good.

Sorry to resurrect this, but with everything that goes on with a fresh install, the last thing you want to worry about is overheating. To that end I would highly recommend a direct drive fan, a shroud, a restrictor washer in the stat house, a brand new pump,and pure water in the system. At some later date, after the cam break-in, and the timing and carb are bugged out, then you can start experimenting with the cooling system. With so much money invested in the engine, why take chances with a clutch fan, or a stat?
Tyler said it pretty good. I second the 26 inch rad, and the modded core opening. My little 360/430hp needed it.And a Milodon pump. And a hi-flo stat.It was many weeks before i had the timing/carb bugged out.The first few weeks temp was a constant concern, even thus equipped.Those aluminum flex fans? I cant imagine who could take advantage of their design. I have had one for more than 20 years. I think Ive tried it on about 10 vehicles. the results are almost always the same. Why bother? Its currently taking up space, somewhere deep in the back of my parts stash. A thermostatic clutch-fan, speced for a Ford currently resides on my 366.
all the best to you.

-
Back