CLUTCH HELP

-
It will fit backwards. I've done so many I cannot count and I've still installed a few backwards. Tired, not paying attention, distracted. It's easier to do than you might think.
mmm didnt know they would. When did you catch that you did it ? Wish there was a way to tell. You know when your 100% sure on something then someone comes along & makes you think lol

mmm didnt know they would. When did you catch that you did it ? Wish there was a way to tell. You know when your 100% sure on something then someone comes along & makes you think lol
When I started it up in gear with the clutch depressed and the car moved, just like you did. That's the symptom you get. Not trying to make you second guess yourself, but it seems you've eliminated everything else and a backwards disc will cause what you're experiencing.

When I started it up in gear with the clutch depressed and the car moved, just like you did. That's the symptom you get. Not trying to make you second guess yourself, but it seems you've eliminated everything else and a backwards disc will cause what you're experiencing.
yea i guess i should just bite the bullet and take it out. Fun Fun

yea i guess i should just bite the bullet and take it out. Fun Fun
I don't know what else it can be at this point. I've been racking my brain trying to think. But everytime I think of something I come back to the thread and you've checked and eliminated what I thought of. lol The only other thing I can think of is if the throwout bearing is incorrect and too short......but the transmission has to come out for that, too.

I don't know what else it can be at this point. I've been racking my brain trying to think. But everytime I think of something I come back to the thread and you've checked and eliminated what I thought of. lol The only other thing I can think of is if the throwout bearing is incorrect and too short......but the transmission has to come out for that, too.
the bearing came with the kit like i said ill just do it and be done with it im just getting to the age i dont like laying on my back to do stuff.

the bearing came with the kit like i said ill just do it and be done with it im just getting to the age i dont like laying on my back to do stuff.
I frikkin hate it too. I we were local, I'd come help you do it.

I had it adjusted so you could just barely turn the bearing with your fingers. I also had someone push the clutch in while i was underneath. It pushed the fingers in & the bearing was tight agents the fingers. My question is is it pushing them in enough.

Right, that's why I'd make the rod as long as possible and get a bunch of preload on the plate.

probably already been said
1) is the crank machined deep enough to cater for the input shaft spigot end? auto car with manual box, is it a manual box crank?
2) is the friction plate in the right way
3) do you have a raggy edge on the friction plate that is now sandwiched between flywheel and clutch
4) have you fitted an 11.5 inch fiction plate on an 11 inch set up (10.5 on 10, 9.5 on 9) (metric size on imperial sized clutch or vice versa ) and it is rubbing the clutch bolts or dowel?

if you take off the lower cover you can see if the clutch works from beneath
undo the clutch bolts and see if you can move the friction plate with a screw driver via the space between flywheel and clutch you have just made.

Dave

probably already been said
1) is the crank machined deep enough to cater for the input shaft spigot end? auto car with manual box, is it a manual box crank?
2) is the friction plate in the right way
3) do you have a raggy edge on the friction plate that is now sandwiched between flywheel and clutch
4) have you fitted an 11.5 inch fiction plate on an 11 inch set up (10.5 on 10, 9.5 on 9) (metric size on imperial sized clutch or vice versa ) and it is rubbing the clutch bolts or dowel?

if you take off the lower cover you can see if the clutch works from beneath
undo the clutch bolts and see if you can move the friction plate with a screw driver via the space between flywheel and clutch you have just made.

Dave
yes the crank is for a manual trans. Im not sure if a crank wasnt if the trany would go in. Im sure the disk is in right. Some say it will fit in backwards some say not. I bought everything for a 10.5 clutch. I took the cover off & took the bolts off that hold the clutch to the flywheel & i can move the disk easy. It doesnt seam to be stuck to the flywheel or clutch. When i tighten the bolts back up it makes the disk really tight to the flywheel to where i cant get my thinnest feeler gauge between them. Not sure if if there is suppose to be a certain gap.

once you have done up the bolts the only way the friction disc can move is if the clutch peddle is pressed and the throw out bearing presses on the fingers of the clutch cover and this levers the flat pressure surface back making space for the friction plate to free wheel.

if you use a carrier for the throw out bearing designed for a twin plate clutch rather than a single plate the carrier is too short and you never get the throw out bearing to press the levers.

does your throw out bearing just rest against the fingers/ levers of the clutch

Dave

yes the crank is for a manual trans. Im not sure if a crank wasnt if the trany would go in. Im sure the disk is in right. Some say it will fit in backwards some say not. I bought everything for a 10.5 clutch. I took the cover off & took the bolts off that hold the clutch to the flywheel & i can move the disk easy. It doesnt seam to be stuck to the flywheel or clutch. When i tighten the bolts back up it makes the disk really tight to the flywheel to where i cant get my thinnest feeler gauge between them. Not sure if if there is suppose to be a certain gap.

As RRR said, the disc WILL go in backwards. I’ve seen it more than once. Not sure who is telling you they won’t, but they are wrong.

Yeah i have done that. crushes the cush-drive springs and or the plate that holds them, into the bolts in the flyhweel hub....
and you have exactly this problem...

Dave

I do believe it is possible to bolt one in backwards. Should be able to verify install when the clutch cover was unbolted.

130 tooth flywheel hub with a couple MP correct bolts........

1664976708470.png

Disc backwards sitting on the flywheel bolts next two pictures..........

1664976832239.png

1664976903095.png

Disc on flywheel with correct orientation............

1664977092566.png

I'm thinking the gap may be more noticeable if one is using the bearing in lieu of a bushing. Maybe the spline hub bottoms on it? IDK, I've never used the bearing.

I do believe it is possible to bolt one in backwards. Should be able to verify install when the clutch cover was unbolted.

View attachment 1715994314

View attachment 1715994315

View attachment 1715994316

View attachment 1715994319

I'm thinking the gap may be more noticeable if one is using the bearing in lieu of a bushing. Maybe the spline hub bottoms on it? IDK, I've never used the bearing.
Thanks again .

Yeah i have done that. crushes the cush-drive springs and or the plate that holds them, into the bolts in the flyhweel hub....
and you have exactly this problem...

Dave
Not always. I've done it on a slant six and a Chevy S10 years ago and both went in fine and didn't damage a thing. Depends on how large a diameter that spring pack is. Most of the time it fits right into the recess in the flywheel. lol

once you have done up the bolts the only way the friction disc can move is if the clutch peddle is pressed and the throw out bearing presses on the fingers of the clutch cover and this levers the flat pressure surface back making space for the friction plate to free wheel.

if you use a carrier for the throw out bearing designed for a twin plate clutch rather than a single plate the carrier is too short and you never get the throw out bearing to press the levers.

does your throw out bearing just rest against the fingers/ levers of the clutch

Dave
the bearing came with the clutch kit its touching the fingers yes its adjusted so you can just barely move the bearing with your fingers

View attachment 1715994314

View attachment 1715994315

View attachment 1715994316

View attachment 1715994319

i unbolted the clutch from the flywheel & the disk sits flat to the flywheel

-
Back