Clutch or cone type sure grip

-

keith9291

Reaction score
I am getting ready to replace my axles and center section in my Dart. Should I look for a clutch type or cone type sure grip. I have heard the cone type are stronger but the clutch type are rebuildable. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks and happy holidays!!

Go with the clutch type, I have never had a problem with them, many miles of burn-outs and donuts!! Cone ones are stronger? I have never heard that one before.... cone ones work good if they are new, don't do donuts or burn-outs around corners, it will wear out easier!

i dont have any personal experience with them but i have heard and read says to stay away from the cone type if possible and go with the clutch type if you hav the option but if someone more knowledgeable says im wrong i would listen to them like i said i havent had either yet.

I have a clutch type now, but the cones are great too. They will last 100,000 miles, and Auburn will replace them for a very reasonable price.

The factory cone type in my Cuda is worn out and it has less than 60,000 miles on it. Look for a clutch type since it's rebuidable. You can machine a cone type to bring it back to life for awhile but if you don't have a lathe it'll cost you quite a chunk of change at a machine shop. Also most used factory cone types you'll find will be pretty well worn out.

The cone type is stronger??? Never heard that before. I've always heard just the opposite.

One last question, were any clutch types used in the 489 case? I was reading the information that mymopar had about 8 3/4 and they say that the clutch was used in 741 and 742 cases only

One last question, were any clutch types used in the 489 case? I was reading the information that mymopar had about 8 3/4 and they say that the clutch was used in 741 and 742 cases only

57-68 had the clutch type, 69-74 had a cone type! Some early 69 cars with a 489 may have snuck out with some leftover clutch ones but that would be it. The 741, 742, 489 sure-grips are all interchangable!

That is right use the clutch type. And then sell me all your worn out cone types. Seriuosly, contact me if anyone would like to sell ther old cone types.

Ever try looking into the Detroit True-trac. Completely gear driven and no clutches. I have no experience yet but I have heard great things and went with it. Just to throw in another option.

Cones wear out. And it's not a nice, even wear. Once they begin to wear, they wear out fast even when you're not beating them. Clutch types you can always fix. Cones, soem guys will "fix", but it's a crutch and nothing I get involved with. If you are looking for brand new, for the street, I would only go True Trac. They will never wear out, and react very well in street situations. The lockers are great for drag racing, but they get noisey and are either "on" or "off". A tight clutch type will last the best of the factory style. New Auburns are cone type, and I've seen more than one fail in one summer up north of mixed driving and racing. Not worth the $$ IMO.

I have a clutch type 742 3.23 grs but want to change to 3.91's... the case is off a 69 roadrunner..

-
Back