Clutch & pressure Plate for 64 Dart

-
I spoke with Brewer, said just go with the Rockauto truck 10inch. Said they had trouble with the 273 clutch
I noticed they didn't have it listed any mort. I bought one, took it to the local Clutchmaster shop to get checked out and it was perfect.

Be careful with those Borg and Beck Type 10" Pressure plates and pressure rings if you plan to turn any RPM's..

Ask me how I know... :)
If you plan to keep it below the ~5200RPM Range your bellhousing, Trans tunnel, and Feet **Should** Be okay.

I have yet to Order one of the Ram Clutches for the 273/slant 6 yet.. They **should** be skookum as Frig.

Another option to try is the Fiero Diaphgram style Pressure plate with a good 9.25" Chrysler splined 1x23" Disc.

I have Heard about this, But never Have Bought a Fiero Part to try on my own Projects. ( I bought a Spec Clutch from Dion here on the board and I am convinced it is a resprung Fiero Pressure Plate)
- So far so good on that one, as it is installed on my '79 Volare duster with a 225 and an 833 OD transmission.
  • → Not all 1"x23 Splined discs have the same pressure angles on them. I found that out the hard way. Ford, Mazda, and Porsche are different from Mopar even though they are all 1"x23 as the pressure angle or spline form as I understand it is slightly different between manufacturers. There is no data I have found published on this but one of my clutch rebuilders have confirmed this.

if you look here there are some options for the Fiero/GM plates:

The clutch disc from the Pontiac / GM Parts will not interchange but the Pressure plate is what we are after here. You may have to mix and match some parts. and whilst doing all this you need the shim the bolted on Bellhousing pivot point about 3/8" - 1/2" closer to the flywheel to make up for the diaphragm plate being "less tall on the the flywheel compared to a Borg & Beck 3-finger design.

The diaphragm style pressure plate will stress your 1960-1966 sissy thin A Body Z bar a lot less, as they do like to break as mentioned in the previous posts.
I Have had Factory Z bars fail on my '62 Valiant, '64 Dart and, '79 Volare. I have repaired and reinforced all of them to not sucking status by reinforcing the Z bar tubing as needed.

Good Luck.

I replaced the POS cheap Chinese B&B Luk brand clutch that I had put in my car on warranty from Pep Boys a couple years ago, just before they quit dealing parts. First disc came apart at the springs. This one had non centered pressure plate fingers, kept bouncing the throwout bearing off the fork. Also crappy uneven wear pattern on the 2000 mile clutch.
20230812_122023.jpg

20230812_122015.jpg

20230812_122619.jpg

IMO, If you see made in China on your disc, I'd send the kit back.

Replaced it with an US made AMS Rhinopak from Rock Auto in August. Way better quality and disc seems to ride flat on the flywheel. 1965 DODGE DART 4.5L 273cid V8 Clutch Kit | RockAuto

Over the last 8 years I've welded the Torque-shaft a few times and replaced it about 2 years ago with a much stronger than original from Brewers. This latest go-round included new clutch linkage hardware, as the nut was slipping.

Last edited:
I replaced the POS cheap Chinese B&B Luk brand clutch that I had put in my car on warranty from Pep Boys a couple years ago, just before they quit dealing parts. First disc came apart at the springs. This one had non centered pressure plate fingers, kept bouncing the throwout bearing off the fork. Also crappy uneven wear pattern on the 2000 mile clutch.
View attachment 1716154884

View attachment 1716154885

View attachment 1716154886
IMO, If you see made in China on your disc, I'd send the kit back.

Replaced it with an US made AMS Rhinopak from Rock Auto in August. Way better quality and disc seems to ride flat on the flywheel. 1965 DODGE DART 4.5L 273cid V8 Clutch Kit | RockAuto

Over the last 8 years I've welded the Torque-shaft a few times and replaced it about 2 years ago with a much stronger than original from Brewers. This latest go-round included new clutch linkage hardware, as the nut was slipping.

I'm in the process of replacing a clutch for a 65 Dart with a 273 with the 122T 10-inch flywheel. Looking at the "AMS Automotive 05004" on rock auto, are you happy with how your AMS clutch has performed?

Some back story on my car I got it very cheap with zero information/history on it. Assuming it hasn't been driven since the early 70s when it was last registered, so I'm going through it all. Here are some pictures of the clutch that came out.

20231017_132440.jpg

20231017_132454.jpg

That looks in good shape. What does the pressure plate look like?

That looks in good shape. What does the pressure plate look like?
I thought it looked well too but it was more its age that had me thinking it would need to be replaced. I'm very new to this and this is my first experience with clutches. Heres more pics

20231017_132711.jpg

20231017_132313.jpg

20231017_132719.jpg

I'm in the process of replacing a clutch for a 65 Dart with a 273 with the 122T 10-inch flywheel. Looking at the "AMS Automotive 05004" on rock auto, are you happy with how your AMS clutch has performed?

Some back story on my car I got it very cheap with zero information/history on it. Assuming it hasn't been driven since the early 70s when it was last registered, so I'm going through it all. Here are some pictures of the clutch that came out.

View attachment 1716155200

View attachment 1716155201
Yes, so far I've been very happy with the AMS 05004. Only have a few hundred miles on it. It doesn't have the shudder that the one I took off had when starting to move.

It Reminds me of the one I had on it back in 2003.

I've mentioned this before, but it bears mentioning again. Kentucky Clutch can handle anything you need in the way of good quality clutches and can also repair your clutches.

well my 64 273 cuda , got a 318 4bbl installed with a 10 clutch / pressure plate . now i'm installing a hot 340 6pk , i'm thinking that 10 pp will not handle that rpm of the 340 . so i'm thinking 10 1/2 clutch setup and new flywheel and scatter bell to fit the tunnel of my cuda . but i've got new tti step chassi headers , is there going to be clearance issues ?

well my 64 273 cuda , got a 318 4bbl installed with a 10 clutch / pressure plate . now i'm installing a hot 340 6pk , i'm thinking that 10 pp will not handle that rpm of the 340 . so i'm thinking 10 1/2 clutch setup and new flywheel and scatter bell to fit the tunnel of my cuda . but i've got new tti step chassi headers , is there going to be clearance issues ?

that stock 10 1/2 130 tooth flywheel 72 bell housing will hit the small firewall reset for the 9 1/2 or 10 122 tooth bell housing . tunnel is to small for it . the racing scattershield 1/4 thick type can fit after the seem rib is pounded flat .

-
Back