Clutch safety switch 69 Dart

-

haybag

Reaction score
Took my 69 Dart with a 4 spd to the track last night for the first time in a couple years. When I went through tech they are now requiring a clutch safety switch so the car can't be started in gear. Is there a simple way to do this on a car that didn't come with one?

Took my 69 Dart with a 4 spd to the track last night for the first time in a couple years. When I went through tech they are now requiring a clutch safety switch so the car can't be started in gear. Is there a simple way to do this on a car that didn't come with one?
If this is a fairly close to stock car I think you could argue the point, as the car never came with one. Frankly I think it is preposterous. Does that track require them on EVERY car? Dragsters? The pro cars? Other / older vintage?

if car didn't come with one, then it's not required, all automatics have to have a neutral start switch, clutch cars do not, ask NHRA about this, it's not in the rule book,

ok, read rule book, no where does it say, have to have a clutch safety switch, , brackets, stock, super stock, and general regs, no mention of a safety switch rrequired , period. next time ask tech guy to show you in rule book where it says have to have one.

He tried to tell me 69 came with it , I told him it never had one. He did let me run, but in the future said I needed one. He said they have had 4 incidents in the last year of cars being started in gear and causing accidents in the staging lanes.

They came in 70 and up cars. The clutch pedals are slightly different from 69 to 70.

The easiest way would be to either get a 70 or newer clutch pedal set with a switch and run a wire through the fire wall to the starter relay..

Or

Tell that guy to pound sand because he doesn't know mopars and a 69 model year mopar NEVER had a safety switch. It's all the same for A,B, and C body mopar cars. No one had a safety switch till the 70 model year.

They came in 70 and up cars. The clutch pedals are slightly different from 69 to 70.

The easiest way would be to either get a 70 or newer clutch pedal set with a switch and run a wire through the fire wall to the starter relay..

Or

Tell that guy to pound sand because he doesn't know mopars and a 69 model year mopar NEVER had a safety switch. It's all the same for A,B, and C body mopar cars. No one had a safety switch till the 70 model year.
Yeah, I only go once or twice a year, car is basically stock and currently only running high 14s, so I think I'll try option #2 and hope for a different tech guy.

make him show you in rule book where it is required,, it's not, plain and simple!!!

-
Back