Clutch time. Any advice?

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
68 Formula S, 340, 4 speed. Car is or was capable of high 11s, but it’s track days are over or will be very limited. I just cut off my headers (along with some of my HP) and went with my original manifolds and a TTI, 2 1/5” x pipe system. I want a good, street/strip clutch and don’t mind a very stiff peddle.

BTW I have an old (but very good) custom built (clutch) drag race only and pressure plate if anyone is interested. This was the clutch used in the car in it’s former glory days at the track. It easily held 8,000 RPM launches, killed several 8 3/4 (one time snapping the pinion without ever tripping the lights), and is also the reason I am now running a dana 60 now. I will also be selling the 60 once I find parts to get my stock 8 3/4 together (only have the housing and 3.23 chunk.

So, the engine has not changed except for the headers. Correct?
I have a Centerforce unit. It is fine, but isn't the same style as stock on the pressure plate. I did have to drill the clutch pedal to help out the worn out spring.
I have had past good luck with MP units, AKA Hays. (Mr. Gasket) Click the url and scroll down to the sub company icons. Click Hays. http://mrgasket.com/

Mcleod sells a B&B/long pressure plate, it has very good holding power, plus lighter pedal. the series 200 disc would work very well. this is a vast improvement over B&B clutch. Mcleod uses a B&B hat with long fingers from a ford clutch. get best of both styles. have used their products for years. best bet, talk to George at Mcleod.

We jsut used a centerforce on the 383 4 speed we rebuilt last winter...

very happy with it, really grabs when you bang gears, it will not kill your foot in traffic, and has held launching the chally all year, at the trach, about 10 runs...

so far, for a one year review, I'm happy with it...

heres how it bangs...
http://www.zippyvideos.com/6211832403903256/dave1/

-
Back