Cnc water pump pulley nose cone!

-

KevinB

Reaction score
Backstory is that I’m building a 5.9 magnum engine and wanted to A) use a serpentine belt and B) use billet pulley from March Performance.

I got my pulleys a while back but it turns out that March doesn’t make a cap or nose cone piece to dress out the water pump if you are going with an electric fan. So I designed my own and sent the CAD file off to be CNC machined from aluminum. It arrives tomorrow!

Below is a pic of the water pump with no cap, and the one I designed. I’ll post a pic of the part when it arrives (assuming I made it right and it was machined right!)

If there’s a few others interested in this part let me know and I’ll see what the price will be to do a small batch.

4DFB4E71-7B0D-49E6-9E17-0DFF69D45740.jpeg
DCB6B46E-01FC-41C3-A71F-1D84A8C03A13.png

Looks great. I bet if you make a few extras you could sell them easy.

Anything to offset the cost! This first one was fairly pricey, but not a bad deal overall. If I get 5 or more made the price drops considerably.

I bet those 4 little raised nubs made the CNC guy say "C'mon......Really?" Make them in relief or delete them and the machine time will be reduced substantially.

I bet those 4 little raised nubs made the CNC guy say "C'mon......Really?" Make them in relief or delete them and the machine time will be reduced substantially.

Yes and no! Many quotes were higher because of those as expected but my final process meant they added no cost

Pulley cover is here! This thing fits SO PERFECT. I was sure there’s be a hole off or it’d be 1/32 too big or something, but it is spot on! I’m gonna start polishing it very soon but it shouldn’t take much work. I’d like to figure out how to sand inside the fratzog a little bit, but that’s the only tricky thing I can see. Eventually I’ll get it powder coated clear along with my intake that I’m sanding and polishing.

Ok so why did I stick with the details on the face of the cone? In theory it should be a lot cheaper to omit them and the fratzog. Then it could just be turned on a lathe. Well the company I used is called 3Dhubs.com, and when I uploaded the cad drawing the price difference between what you see here and a plain one with no fratzog or raised ribs was $1. Now I was skeptical since it should add a lot more, but I guess the plain price is using the face milled technique as well. Anyway there was no extra expense so I went for it. And I’m extremely pleased.

I’ll make another post in the for sale section once it’s polished and if anyone is interested in getting one you can let me know. That’s all for now!

3C378783-2EF3-43D2-8313-3DCB5E49FE02.jpeg
F9964B31-51FF-42D7-A3A6-B0B5C36FCBB6.jpeg
23857162-4DDE-4016-B51A-670173FCF68C.jpeg
633200D6-F458-446D-AC10-E1E5C2C8DC80.jpeg

-
Back