co2/argon

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
just picked up my new tank of mix for the welder..new to this kinda welding..lol any pointers from you guys that do it all the time... $240.00 out the door and 25.00 to refill when i need it...now to the duster lol :prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer:

depending on what your are wearing on your feet might want to keep them out from under what ever it is you are welding on....

They make canvas sleeves which are not too much money and they will save lots of burns on you arms. I used a 90/10 mix CO2/argon which tends to cool better for filling gaps and keeps heat down from warping panels IMO.

When going from flux core to solid wire make you swap polarity on the welder. You should be fine with 75/25 mix for most welding.

If you don't have one get an auto-darkening helmet. Much easier to learn with.
Lots of practise on scrap. Turn it way up to see what happens. Turn it down. Play with it to learn. Stay clear of "ignitables".

thanks for the tips guys..i can and have been welding for some time..went to school for it back in the late 90's lol..just never welded with gas...had a nice (fat butt) lady teacher learned stick from her and learned mig by doing it...i have heard that gas welding is easy but i will see.:Dwhat do you guys use as a start point on the reg..? or is it a fill for the way you weld??? thanks mike :prayer::prayer::prayer:

You would be a nice heavy, aerodynamic projectile.
(your avatar) :toothy8:

thanks for the tips guys..i can and have been welding for some time..went to school for it back in the late 90's lol..just never welded with gas...had a nice (fat butt) lady teacher learned stick from her and learned mig by doing it...i have heard that gas welding is easy but i will see.:Dwhat do you guys use as a start point on the reg..? or is it a fill for the way you weld??? thanks mike :prayer::prayer::prayer:

18-22 cfh (cubic feet/hour) is typical. Welding outside can be a problem if it is windy. If you start to get lots of spattering all of a sudden, you are probably losing your cover gas shield. Or you forgot to open the bottle valve :eek:ops:. L8r

metal match works good on new clean steel. but not as forgiving on older used metal.as you know wire feed welders dont like dirt or rust not even a little but sometimes you cant get it as clean as you want.and every welder is like a person it has a pensonality that you must get to know.

Welding clothes: I use durable slim fit jackets and gloves from sportsmansguide.com mil surplus. This way I can reach and operate with dexterity while welding. You get several pairs for a few bucks.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=951928

Two pair, nice mil leather gloves with extended wrist coverage, 18 bucks.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=223026

Three, mil heavy sleeve jackets, 18 bucks.

In the summer, I just throw them in water and put them on. Stay cool for 3 hours while welding when it is 100+.

If your inside with no wind set your flow meter on 15 if your welding body panels i would recomend 0.23 wire. the wire package will tell you which polarity to set straight or reverse. Electrode positive is reverse polarity and electrode negative is straight polarity

-
Back