Cold exhaust, hot valve cover.

-
I’m in the camp that wouldn’t be going nuts to solve anything until I had the temp gun in my hand.

Also, FWIW, I was running 10’s@3650lbs with a 906 headed 448 using an ootb Torker II in 1995.
I’ve used a number of them through the years....... never had any running “issues” with one.

It might be worth spraying carb cleaner or something around where the manifold seals to the heads...... top and bottom side to check for leaks.

Whoa, that is alot of initial timing.
Some high performance engines like alot of initial timing around 20-22 * at idle
Normal is more like 12-14* depending on the engine.
Why do you want that much?
1000 rpm is pretty high for a street application, manual or auto tranny?
Sorry I should clarify. I was messing with it a lot to try to learn more about this problem. That was the last setting I had when I gave up. Normally I would have an 800 idle and around 10° advance. I probably should have specified that... oops
It is a 727 auto. High stall converter. I forget exactly what but its somewhere around 3000 stall

I’m in the camp that wouldn’t be going nuts to solve anything until I had the temp gun in my hand.

Also, FWIW, I was running 10’s@3650lbs with a 906 headed 448 using an ootb Torker II in 1995.
I’ve used a number of them through the years....... never had any running “issues” with one.

It might be worth spraying carb cleaner or something around where the manifold seals to the heads...... top and bottom side to check for leaks.

I like the carb cleaner idea. I may do that as well.

Sorry I should clarify. I was messing with it a lot to try to learn more about this problem. That was the last setting I had when I gave up. Normally I would have an 800 idle and around 10° advance. I probably should have specified that... oops
It is a 727 auto. High stall converter. I forget exactly what but its somewhere around 3000 stall
I believe you will end up at around 14* initial and all in around 36* without a vacuum advance hooked up if you are running one.

Ok sounds good! Thanks for the help.
It really depends on how the mechanical advance in your distributor is set up.
Those timing values I gave you are pretty generic and commonly used as a good starting point. Just dont let it detonate and you will be fine.

For anyone curious, the intake valve in cylinder 8 was stuck open. The pushrod jumped up on the edge of the lifter and was keeping it open. So it was stealing all the air and fuel from cylinder 1. I have reset the pushrod and lash on that side. Darn rockerarm adjuster came loose. It's good and tight now.

-
Back