Coleman Mach air conditioner

-

19DUSTER73

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, the enclosed trailer I just bought has a Coleman Mach air conditioning unit on it. I was told the heat is pretty weak but the AC is great. The trailer is a 2008. I don't know if it came installed or if it was an add on later. I'm trying to figure out if the way it operates is typical of the unit or one of it's age. I suppose I won't know how well the AC works for a few months. Does anyone know anything about these rooftop type units? Thanks in advance.

Look at the interior panel and get the model #. Some times you need to remove the interior panel to see the model#. Coleman has Manuals in pdf format online. If it hasn't run in awhile I would take the exterior cover off and clean the condensor coils.

Look at the interior panel and get the model #. Some times you need to remove the interior panel to see the model#. Coleman has Manuals in pdf format online. If it hasn't run in awhile I would take the exterior cover off and clean the condensor coils.
Yeah I'm thinking I'll have to remove some panels for info. It's a nice day so I'll pop the covers off and have a look at everything. Thanks

I guess?? Are we?? talking about 120V AC power? (As opposed to main engine belt powered?)

You can likely learn more, faster, by just looking at it internally. Look for a diagram and if so, post it. Is this a heat pump or straight resistance electric heat?

What does the stat say? Does it have a heat position for "aux" (auxiliary) or "emergency?" that would suggest heat pump

A good cleaning can sometimes straighten them out some, along with cleaning the blower and even oiling the motor--worn bushings/ motor running slow won't help.

Look and see if it has access fittings and if they appear factory or added? That could indicate previous problems.

Any idea how much use?

I've got one on my camper. It does alright except for the very humid days (+90%), then it struggles to keep the temps below 75ish. My camper has a 27' 'box' on it, so fairly large for a single AC unit. It doesn't do heat, so I can't comment on that.

Last edited:
I guess?? Are we?? talking about 120V AC power? (As opposed to main engine belt powered?)

You can likely learn more, faster, by just looking at it internally. Look for a diagram and if so, post it. Is this a heat pump or straight resistance electric heat?

What does the stat say? Does it have a heat position for "aux" (auxiliary) or "emergency?" that would suggest heat pump

A good cleaning can sometimes straighten them out some, along with cleaning the blower and even oiling the motor--worn bushings/ motor running slow won't help.

Look and see if it has access fittings and if they appear factory or added? That could indicate previous problems.

Any idea how much use?
I haven't had a chance to get the covers off yet. Kinda double booked myself today. It's 120 AC I believe. No idea how much it was used.

I have one in my camping trailer. It definitely cools very well 30 ft trailer
Repair parts for big items are expensive, compressor $430, start/run capacitor $75, blower motor was also high.
I found them new for $1500

I haven't had a chance to get the covers off yet. Kinda double booked myself today. It's 120 AC I believe. No idea how much it was used.

Not sure if you are in an area with lots of bees and wasps but they love building nest in and around these covers. Remove slowly and plan your escape route. That first step is a doozy. I usually have wasp spray or a can of brake clean on standby.

Not sure if you are in an area with lots of bees and wasps but they love building nest in and around these covers. Remove slowly and plan your escape route. That first step is a doozy. I usually have wasp spray or a can of brake clean on standby.
Good call. It's still cool here so nothing is moving much yet. I found some numbers under the inside cover. I haven't had a chance to look it up yet. I'm pretty sure the guy I bought it from said it's a heat pump type. I've read they don't like putting heat out below around 45 degrees ambient. The heat isn't that big of a deal as long as she blows cold at the track in August I'll be a happy camper lol. I've only had it about a week so I'm kinda just running through everything.

Good call. It's still cool here so nothing is moving much yet. I found some numbers under the inside cover. I haven't had a chance to look it up yet. I'm pretty sure the guy I bought it from said it's a heat pump type. I've read they don't like putting heat out below around 45 degrees ambient. The heat isn't that big of a deal as long as she blows cold at the track in August I'll be a happy camper lol. I've only had it about a week so I'm kinda just running through everything.
Heat will be weak from those. They are only 110 volt and probably 10-15 amps. Not much more btu's than a hair dryer.

Heat will be weak from those. They are only 110 volt and probably 10-15 amps. Not much more btu's than a hair dryer.
Sounds like the same as a typical portable "bathroom" heater, 12-1500W. They are often designed that way so they will work off a standard 15A 120V circuit without blowing a fuse/ breaker

Sounds like the same as a typical portable "bathroom" heater, 12-1500W. They are often designed that way so they will work off a standard 15A 120V circuit without blowing a fuse/ breaker
A toaster will pull 10 amps. Not much heat there.

Just remember, volts X amps = watts. 1200 watts is just that, regardless of what style heater it is.

A small cube ceramic heater works better than they do.
It has a Heat Storm heater in it also. I'm not sure of it's specs but it seems to be ok. Sounds like it's current know operating status is the norm for these. Thanks to all.

Heat strip, designed to increase ambient temp 10 degrees

-
Back