Collector Extension Gains

-

The Shocker

Reaction score
Anyone here ever added collector extensions and actually lowered their ET ? As im running out of cheap ideas to make up the last tenth i need for a 6 second slip i made these yesterday .I have read lots of tech articles about lowend torque gains on dyno pulls ,but has anyone really seen anything on a strip from them.It was kind of a pain to make these ,cuz my headers have no flanges on the collector.I had a guy at a muffler shop flare one end so they would slip over and i welded sum ears to them and the headers so they bolt on and i can remove them if they dont work .I havent ran it yet ,but i can say the SB seems to be more crisp down low and they actually sound better IMO than the short collectors ...

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 300
  • 002.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 338
on my braket barracuda years ago when i was racing it had an 18" of collector built on the headers and i added another 18" of collector and it reduce the et by .15 seconds.

I run a 18 inch extension off my collectors.My heddman Huslers came with no flange on the collector,so attached the extension with bandclamps.I can remove and slide my dual exhaust on in minutes for road use.I,m sure the extensions lowered my ET,just can,t remember by how much.:eek:ops:

hi, most gain is about a .10 to .15 depending on combination. they help on the gear change. we tested a 383 dart , years ago, without collectors it bogged some on gear change, with collectors picked it up. we usually paint a white stripe the length of pipe, where it stops burning, cut off excess pipe. just food for thought.

Perfacar Got it right,though it is old school the paint burn trick was how we tuned them back in the day.Most start with 18'' to 20'' lightly paint a stripe, make a pass and see where the paint burned off. Rule of thumb was, stick car cut the burn off, automatic cut at 1'' longer than the burn.You have yours completely painted thats ok too as it will burn a ring around the tube just as well.you may have to make more than 1 pass.
This is really old school but does work.Does "Hooker Adjustable Headers" ring a bell with anyone ?

Might be something to it cause when I first ran the 416 it had TTIs and a bolt on collector extension - maybe 6". After adding the 3" X pipe and flow 40s it picked up about .15 in the 1/8th.

Perfacar Got it right,though it is old school the paint burn trick was how we tuned them back in the day.Most start with 18'' to 20'' lightly paint a stripe, make a pass and see where the paint burned off. Rule of thumb was, stick car cut the burn off, automatic cut at 1'' longer than the burn.You have yours completely painted thats ok too as it will burn a ring around the tube just as well.you may have to make more than 1 pass.
This is really old school but does work.Does "Hooker Adjustable Headers" ring a bell with anyone ?

x2. That's how I know about it. Gains really are individualistic. I've seen some cars gain as much as .2, and others not gain anything.

Where do you run at? I make it to the track N of Denton sometimes.
I run at Denton usually in Feb.Im running at Yello Belly in a few months for the first time (if i dont get jacked while unloading my car, lol).I run at Ardmore in Sep .and Temple Academy in October .I run the Nostalgia races circuit every year,but im not a "hardcore racer" .Its more of a back burner hobby for me .I ran at Northstar (Denton) a few weeks back ...

I run at Denton usually in Feb.Im running at Yello Belly in a few months for the first time (if i dont get jacked while unloading my car, lol).I run at Ardmore in Sep .and Temple Academy in October .I run the Nostalgia races circuit every year,but im not a "hardcore racer" .Its more of a back burner hobby for me .I ran at Northstar (Denton) a few weeks back ...

I have never been brave enough to go to Yello Belly....lol...good luck.

Hey 383Duster ,let me know next time your gunna be runnning a TNT at Denton as i would like to meet up at the track with another member from here.Im usually the only Mopar running when i go .I was planning to try out the extensions this past Friday night there ,but the rain kept me at home ...

-
Back