Come on Crane Cams !!!!!!

-
Vise-grips were to back fuckers out after they broke The Allen key hole was stress cracked. No way to back them out with an Allen wrench when it spins. Those nice vise-grip could have stayed in the toolbox if the product wasn’t flawed.
Ah OK... thought you were turning them in.. I shoulda looked at the direction in which they were gripped.... CCW. LOL

Harlands are 90.00

Make your decision on a geometry kit now because if you buy pushrods and then decide on a kit later you'll also be buying new longer pushrods, again.
Correct. I had to wait for the adjusters and the adjustable pushrod tool. Was stoked to make headway with the valve-train but **** happens.

Motor came with longer pushrods off the shelf but weren’t correct with factory adjusters. I’ve got quite a bit of time to get geometry sorted out.

Harlands are 90.00

Make your decision on a geometry kit now because if you buy pushrods and then decide on a kit later you'll also be buying new longer pushrods, again.

Are the Harland’s 3/8-24 with 5/16 ball

Aren’t they 7/16-20? For a 3/8 pushrod?

Are the Harland’s 3/8-24 with 5/16 ball

Aren’t they 7/16-20? For a 3/8 pushrod?

Idk about a designated push rod diameter, but yeah that's a problem huh.lol

Call PRW, they have a a 3/8 by 20 thread ball end adjuster set , their own brand, not crane. They run around $73
I spoke with them today.

Ordered a set from Smith Brothers just now. $91.

Will call them back with my pushrod measurements when I get the adjusters from them. Glad it’s only the valve covers I have to remove each time :)

Called Mancini. They said to send them back for warranty inspection.

Ordered a set from Smith Brothers just now. $91.

Will call them back with my pushrod measurements when I get the adjusters from them. Glad it’s only the valve covers I have to remove each time :)

Called Mancini. They said to send them back for warranty inspection.

I'm hoping beyond hope you are using the B3 kit to correct your geometry before ordering your pushrods.

Are you going to cripple my hopes, or are you using his kit????

I'm hoping beyond hope you are using the B3 kit to correct your geometry before ordering your pushrods.

Not interested in buying new rockers etc. This is a fairly mild engine without huge spring pressures and lift. A basic purple shaft type 268 grind. I’ve not gotten far enough to check valve stem pattern yet. Will get to that before final assessment of pushrod length.

My other 340 has a really tight pattern right in the middle of the stem. Those components where from Hughes though. And it’s a roller Cam.

What’s a kit from him cost? Or a complete rocker arms, shaft etc cost?

I have used Crane aluminum rockers since the early '90s and love the rockers themselves. However, with high RPM use (383, 7200rpm, flat tappet solid, 8005A Isky springs) we broke 2 adjuster balls off. This was after many hard passes, 2 separate occasions. Always had good oiling, no galling or discoloration, just broke 1/2 the ball off, like a hardness issue. When we went solid roller, with some seriously stout Lunati springs, we switched to HUGHES rockers, and so far zero problems. I have used Crower and Hughes adjusters with zero failures, so I would suggest upgrading the Crane's to Hughes (Crower now discontinued, bummer) adjusters. Some say that "Smith Brothers" offer awesome adjusters, and I suspect this to be the case, based on their pushrod quality. If starting from scratch, just go HUGHES, now that Crane's price is so outrageous.

As I understand it, the solution varies depending on the rockers, and valve lift and probably some other variables, and that varies the prices and other parts mods that may be needed. So I don't believe there is any set price.

The kit is under 200 bucks IIRC. You don't need new rockers but you damn sure need to correct the geometry. They are always wrong.

And now, someone will come along and tell you how long they've been doing this ****, and how they never had an issue, and they just center up the pattern and let it rip and I suggest you leave them to their happy world of unicorns and skittles. It's their rainbow, let them taste it.

The fact is, I've never seen geometry that was correct when any part of the geometry equation is changed. That's the rocker, lift installed height and some other things.

So I can say, with assurity, your geometry is wrong. I know it is, without ever looking at it. Is worn and needs to be corrected.

Don't buy pushrods until you correct the geometry.

The kit is under 200 bucks IIRC. You don't need new rockers but you damn sure need to correct the geometry. They are always wrong.

And now, someone will come along and tell you how long they've been doing this ****, and how they never had an issue, and they just center up the pattern and let it rip and I suggest you leave them to their happy world of unicorns and skittles. It's their rainbow, let them taste it.

The fact is, I've never seen geometry that was correct when any part of the geometry equation is changed. That's the rocker, lift installed height and some other things.

So I can say, with assurity, your geometry is wrong. I know it is, without ever looking at it. Is worn and needs to be corrected.

Don't buy pushrods until you correct the geometry.
Believe it or not, this is one of the occasions where it is actually pretty good. According to what Dave told me, everything is factory stuff except for the cam. Since the valve lift is pretty much stock, so geometry is not off enough to justify any adjustment. I can't/wont sell him something he doesn't need. However, he wouldn't have known if he hadn't asked. Kudos for at least taking the advice here and checking it out.

Got my Smith Brother adjusters. Legit!!! 3/16 hex head instead of piss poor 1/8 head. The neck on these are more like the originals as well. Thanks for the headache medicine SBros. Now I can setup my motor.

Got my Smith Brother adjusters. Legit!!! 3/16 hex head instead of piss poor 1/8 head. The neck on these are more like the originals as well. Thanks for the headache medicine SBros. Now I can setup my motor.

Smith Brothers does quality work. So does Trend. And Manton.

Any of those three make great pushrods, and when you learn how much world actually goes into making a pushrod...well, they are reasonably priced.

View attachment 1715219802 View attachment 1715219803 View attachment 1715219804 I was working on the 340 yesterday measuring for pushrods with new locking adjusting nuts from Crane Cams. Well two of the mother#%>?>>>!ers broke at the Allen head. See the little cracks. WTF!!! Really bad. Very little pressure while tightening into my 273 rockers. The rockers already had threads chased and were very clean. No issues with originals.

Hoping this is not an ongoing quality issue with these locking nuts. Plus they sent one that was the wrong sized ball end. SMH!!!

Going to call Mancini Racing and see if they will send a new set. I don’t trust the one I got.

What do you guys think?

even h/s rockers have some issues so hard , there brittle . how knows were there made .

-
Back