Coming To America: ULI

-

bamacuda

Reaction score
Our FABO Friend Uli from Germany is planning a trip to America in the next year or two. I for one would love to meet him. His 1965 Barracuda Rebuild has been an inspiration to many of us and his thread has has many thousands of hits. We are a club, no a family, and we need to be a part of this 8-week tour he is planning. First of all, as he plans his trip, we need to be a part or his tour in the following ways:

1) Meet him when he is in your area,
2) Consider doing a fundraiser like a cookout when he arrives,
3) Gain media coverage of his stops along the way,
4) Provide lodging in your home or at a nearby hotel,
5) Plan a cruise-in style car show when he is in your area,
6) Be able to provide maintenance for his vehicle as he tours,
7) Caravan with him when he is in your area (power tour style)

We have members all over the states so the possibilities are endless! maybe we can suggest a route based on the places he would like to go that would incorporate our abilities to contribute the above things. This would not place a financial burden on anyone to pitch-in in a small way. I think that this could be a fantastic experience for us all!

What do you think? SOUND OFF!:cheers:

This is pretty vague where is he planning on going? Whats he looking to do while he is here? Is there something he really wants to see?

I think it's a great idea:cheers:. Do I understand from your post that he is bringing his car with him?
Like 72Scamp said, though, we need a lot more info...
C

Most definitely interested in meeting Uli. But, as said before, we need to know his itinerary. Where's he planning to be and what does he want to see? I'm in SoCal so can definitely offer suggestions based on the time of year he's going to be here.
Spring would be best for Mopar-based activities as Spring Fling (SoCal) and Mopars At The Strip (Las Vegas) are generally in the Spring. Our club (Inland Mopars) generally have our annual show in May.
Let us know his planned travel dates and we can be more specific.

He was planning a trip sooner, but it will be in the next year or so. He has not, as far as I know, planned an itinerary. I am sure that an eight week tour of the US would include such things as New York City, The Grand Canyon, Southern California, to name a few, but he hasn't said where he's going. I just think it would be cool if he were coming into your or my area, that we would try to plan something to coincide, if nothing more than having a meal with him. As we find out, let's plan to make this thing FABO great!

But my wife and I will do on everybody fall,
in a few years ( 3-4 )we will do a 8 week circular trip by amerika.
We saving our money for it.
And i am must save enough to work overtime .
And I hope this I then some of you may visit.

THX for your help

i would to talk with youse and to thank so at face to face

Well, Smithers BC is a very popular tourist destination and I see a lot of German tourists around here. German is also spoken at many establishments.

http://www.tourismsmithers.com/

If anyone is up around this way, I'd be happy to meet!

My thoughts on this were with reason. There was a guy from South America who had his Grandfather's 1929 Graham Nash. He rebuilt it and then proceeded to drive to Alaska from South America. But as he contacted a club that I belonged to (AACA) people from every region of the country stepped up and offered their home to defray lodging costs, their dinner table to defray food costs, had small events to welcome him to their town, had media coverage, and ended up touring the entire US. There were several stops for serious repairs, including one of our club members providing him with a rebuilt carb.He had one stop in Birmingham and our local AACA chapter had a nice dinner and welcoming party. Maintenance was offered all over the country, it was tons of fun! The guy and his wife became parents along the way (not originally planned) and did stay in NC for an extended time (couple of months) until the baby was good to travel and allowed spring to be in play as they didn't want to travel with the newborn in the cold. He ended up in Alaska but in his communications was very grateful to all the support along the way. The extra 3000 or so miles did not end up costing him any more than the original trip. That is why I had this idea. What an experience for Uli, but also what an experience for us. Maybe we should try to encourage an July-August time frame for Carlisle and the Nats. Anyway, I hope we can kick this around and when he comes, have some plan in place. Just my 2 cents worth. David

It's a kind and hospitable idea. The neat thing about this is that Uli and his frau may get to see interesting parts of the US & Canada that the average German tourist will never lay eyes on.

Let's be sensitive here. One of the German sayings I heard when I lived over there was; (translated) "You can always tell an American when you see one. You can't tell him much, but you can always tell."

I recommend that we let Uli tell us what the "gotta see"s are first and how much car related time he wants to spend. Once we know that, those in destination sites and points en-route can offer suggestions and assistance that might be appreciated.

Let's also find out what Uli's wife is interested in seeing or doing. Maybe she's not fond of salvage yards but a day at an outlet mall or a spa might be just the thing.

Ok, Uli. It's your vacation, there are folks interested in making things happen for you. It's your turn.

I'd be down to show Uli around So-Cal if he chooses to come out this way.
I don't remember if I met him or not when I was at the German Mopar Nationals in 2009 hanging out with Tom, Martin, Wedgy and all of those guys. Way too many cool guys over there so it'd be nice to return the favor, I missed Tom (DeWilde13) on his visit out here. Uli, maybe you have a better memory than I do and remember the redhead kid from America that hung out with Tom at your Mopar Nats in '09?
Like OC Dart said there are the two big shows, Vegas and Spring Fling the first two weekends of April and there's also the NASCAR race in Fontana the last weekend of March if Uli is interested.

If he's headed for the mitten, I'd be glad to show him what Michigan hospitality is all about. I would suggest that if he's coming to Michigan, he plans to be here around the 3rd weekend in August so he can do the Woodward Dream Cruise. That should put some gas in his tank!!! Also, a trip to the WPC museum while he's here would charge his Mopar batteries!!! Yea, I'm in, and my Mopar buddies here would surely "rallye" around this idea!!! Uli, You're certainly welcome in Michigan anytime!!! Geof

If he's headin' for the Grand Canyon, count me in. Whgile Phoenix is about 3-4hra away acruise up ther would be cool & there IS stuff down here I could show him. Local tracks, several shops and a few cruise spots here would keep him busy for a few days at least.......

Hay Uli :cheers::cheers: Keep us updated and I would like to meet you and be prepared for a good time where ever you end up at.:happy10::happy10::happy10::happy10:

This is exactly what I was hoping for. Not that we tell Uli where to go or try to plan his vacation, but to show him that when he comes, there are people in all regions of the US ready to show some hospitality and provide ideas of what is great to see in their area. If you depend on travel agents or the internet to decide on this stuff, you will only get what has been promoted by the paid advertisements, not necessarily stuff that would appeal to a mopar guy. I don't think his trip should be all about mopars, but Uli can decide. I again think it is cool for us to be thinking down the road so that when he does decide, he can maximize his enjoyment with the help of our experience.

Yeah, good idea!!
On my Trip through california i only met GTXperiance (Ben) unfortunatly. Jeff, i promise that i visit you also on our next Trip!!!

To have some Friends all over the World is awesome! I like my FABO Brothers!!!:cheers:

I have my promise not to forget to thank me personally for my friends.

wantyou.jpg

Thanks brother and Sisters for all your help

I would be very interested in meeting Uli maybe we can set up a cruise in Oklahoma.

All My Fabo friends

it is not hurry, when the time comes, I will initiate you into my plans.

It is planned to start the trip in Ney York and Michigan then anything is still possible departure will be from Los Angeles or San Francisco, about 4 weeks of vacation .

Thats the Plan for Year i dont can say .

===============================================================

well try to make Moparfest in New Hamburg Ontario it's the biggest all mopar show there is at 1700 cars last year , I believe at 32 years it's also the oldest show , I'll be there again next year and will be driving back across Canada if you want to tour the Great White North , I might even go to the maritimes the week before Moparfest and try for the Coast to Coast run with Moparfest in the middle

Uli, you and your wife are always welcome at my door.I'm about an hour and a half from Carlisle{chryslers at carlisle}, about eight hours from Columbus{the nats}, an hour to Washington,DC. My home is your home, drop me a line when you get your plans made or if you need any information about local events

-
Back