Commando Chrome Tip

-

fzmax

Reaction score
If anyone have one of these on their car and could snap a picture and take some measurements I would greatly appreciate it. I want to make my own, but I only want the tip and not the complete resonator. TIA

I'll see what I can do for you tomorrow. Here's a site that may help. http://www.westnet.com/~mfrank/commando_exhaust.html toolman

engine 297.jpg

engine 298.jpg

I just updated with a link. There's some dimensions there. Mike

Here's some dimensions of the resonator and tip. I have the Accurate LTD system.
Overall length.......28 1/2"
body length..........26"
body circumference....13"

Stainless tip
Top length.......9 1/2'' (from resonator to tip)
bottom length...6 1/2" ( from resonator to tip)
height..............2 3/4" ( opening dimension)
width...............5" (opening dimension)

I hope this helps.....Mike

Toolman,
How do you like the Accurate system? How's the sound? I am considering it for my car. I notice that the muffler inlet and outlet are offset. I believe the original mufflers for the commando were straight through. (???)
I've heard that some people just use the resonator and leave off the muffler. Any thoughts on that?
Thanks,
66Cuda-S

Here's a link. http://www.accurateltd.com/A-Body-HiPo-Exhaust-System_p_195.html Scroll down to see a drawing of the system. The muffler is offset in, center out. It's fairly quiet with a little sound at idle and I'm sure it will get a bit louder with age. If you want a bit more noise I would suggest a performance muffler instead of the stocker. I have some videos but I need my kids help to get them on u-tube. I can't seem to make it happen. LOL Everything fit like a glove and is complete with all pipes, clamps, hangers, and hardware. Mike

engine 277.jpg

Mike, thanks again for all the info, this is awesome. BTW, your car is bitchin'

Great pics & info. Toolman. Here is what the complete accurate system sounds like on my 65 valiant.
[ame="http://video.yahoo.com/watch/6753864/17551942"]Valiant getting ready for winter on Yahoo! Video[/ame]

Oldschoolcuda

Ya, that's it! I have watched and listened to your video many times trying to decide whether this is what I wanted for my Dart. Thanks for posting it. That's what I wanted, that's what I got and I'm very happy with it. As far as I know Accurate LTD made everything like it was back in 66 and I think it's pretty cool that Ma Mopar engineered the system the way they did back then. Toolmanmike

heres a few pics of the one I made a few years ago. 3x5.5x20 long. I have a full 2.5" single on mine with a home built muffler and just the big megaphone tip....sounds awsome.

aaaaaaaaaa.jpg

aaaaaaaaa.jpg

66cuda-s!

The early 1965 systems were straight through. In middle of 65 production Chrysler changed that due to complains from customers, neighbours, police etc.

The change was made in spring of 65.

65DartCharger,
Thanks for the information.

Does anyone know where you can get a straight through muffler that is similar to the original one? (not offset intake to output as the Accurate ones are)

My car currently has a dual exhaust system with glasspacks. I think it is 2" pipe. It sounds pretty good, but I would like to convert back to a stock-like single exhaust.

Thanks,
66Cuda-S

66cuda-s!

The early 1965 systems were straight through. In middle of 65 production Chrysler changed that due to complains from customers, neighbours, police etc.

The change was made in spring of 65.

I remember the splash those cars made when the 65s came out. The Commando was brand new for 65, and you could hear them blocks away. I wanted one so bad I could taste it.

65DartCharger,
Thanks for the information.

Does anyone know where you can get a straight through muffler that is similar to the original one? (not offset intake to output as the Accurate ones are)

My car currently has a dual exhaust system with glasspacks. I think it is 2" pipe. It sounds pretty good, but I would like to convert back to a stock-like single exhaust.

Thanks,
66Cuda-S

Don't know if these are still in the system. the Pwr.Pack was offered in two finishes. Aluminized, part no. 2660 541 and zink coated part no. 2660 548. And then there were part number's for the entire rest of the system as well as the other systems.

I'm with HemiEd. These things sounded sweet and were plenty loud when you mashed the right pedal.

I tried cutting open a cheapee muffler and transplanting a glass pack core tube into it. It was great while it lasted. When the Frankenstein project disintegrated, it almost cost me the resonator, too. I need to learn to weld better.

4 bbl muffler & resonator.jpg

4 bbl muffler 01.jpg

4 bbl muffler 02.jpg

4 bbl muffler 03.jpg

-
Back