Commando Cylinder Head Gaskets 273 1967

-

robodhran

Reaction score
Hi, Is there anyone, that provides really thin metallic cylinder-head gaskets that will fit exactly the 273 diameter will not have any influence to the commando-compression 10.5:1?

Most of the gaskets found on the web fit every diameter from 273 to 340.

Or doesn't it matter at all what gasket to put on?

Thanks, Robert

I would think that a thicker head gasket would help bring compression down a bit for today's gas....

Yes it matters - even more so given the 4.10 bore size and composite material vs the factory steel shim for a 3.69 bore. No, I have not seen anyone make them. Call Cometic and have them make you a set with the right bore, and thickness. Just make sure the block and heads are surfaced to the proper Ra value for the MLS type gaskets.

the dome top pistons and closed chamber heads put you ahead of the game, compared to other LA cores. Off the shelf 318 gaskets wont lower the ratio so much that its noticed.

Moper is correct! We've had some discussions about this in the past few years. The only thin metal ones with a smaller bore size you can get come from Cometic. I don't believe they have them on the shelf but they can make them for you. http://www.cometic.com/custom-gaskets.aspx tmm

Cometic is the only place you will find em with the correct bore size. I've got them on my hi-po 273. The seal ring is still @ about 4 inches,but the material goes out to what ever you speced them out for. I think the thinest they can make em is like .035 or .040 if i remember rite make sure both head & deck serfaces are smooth as possable there mls gaskets like a fine finish. hope this helps! Fyi there about $90 ea. aswell!

Good stuff for the memorie bank for when I tear into my girlfriends 66 barracuda 273 this spring. Thank you.

General Information

Near impossible to find a set of Original {.020"} Thin-Steel Head Gaskets {#2463 338} for the 273 4-Barrel.

But, if you dig a little, you can find a set from the 1968 318 {#2806 984}, {.020" thickness} which are designed for the 3.91" Bore.

Or possibly.

1969 Part #2951 259 {.028" thickness}
1970 Part #2946 082 {.028" thickness}

Thanks folks for the useful infos. That helped a lot! :D

I am sure now, to find a good head gasket.

Have a good New Year.

The steel shim gasket wasn't just on the 4 barrel 273...they used on the 2bbl as well...big blocks had 'em too. That's what they used back then.

FWIW, in street driving you will probably coke up the tiny gaps anyway. At least, mine were packed with carbon when I pulled the heads. And I had recent full bore track miles on it, so once it's in those gaps, it doesn't seem to burn out.

-
Back