Comp cam warranty

-

plymouth1937

Reaction score
Hi you all took the 318 apart today and the new cam comp cam 268 is flat on one lobe the lifter is grounded out like i newer seen before i onley have like 100km on the engine when i blow a head gasket anybody made a warranty claim aginst comp cam iv been building and rebuilding mopar sb sens the mid 80s but newer seen this before and in that short time

You might have gotten a bad cam but, it sounds like there was some kind of debris in the engine that may have caused the cam lobe & lifter wear. I have never seen this happen on a Comp Cams piece. May have also been a bad lifter? Is this a roller cam or flat tappet cam? You can try calling Comp Cams & see what they say. Doesn't hurt to ask.

You might have gotten a bad cam but, it sounds like there was some kind of debris in the engine that may have caused the cam lobe & lifter wear. I have never seen this happen on a Comp Cams piece. May have also been a bad lifter? Is this a roller cam or flat tappet cam? You can try calling Comp Cams & see what they say. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Its a flat tap no crap in that engine but it looks like the hardning in the lifter is gone

Another Blueprint Engine Delay | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum
100_3022-jpg.jpg

You probably got a bad lifter. Comp Cams will most likely NOT warranty it unless they are their lifters too. If they aren't, I would contact the lifter manufacture & have them pay for it. A bad lifter could cause a lot more damage with metal particles throughout the engine too.

Buddy had two Comp Cams 268 mopar big block cam and lifters go bad on an engine run stand 3 weeks apart. Bought from Summit, got refund.

Got a 20 year old NOS mopar performance cam… no problems. Car has been driving around for 1 1/2 years now.

Don't waste your time. Comp won't warrant anything they didn't install! Too many chances that the consumer didn't do what they were told in the installation procedure. And unfortunately you can't prove anything when they ask how you broke it in. Nah, write it off. Sorry.
Now Summit may cover your *** on that as they sold it and its somewhat their reputation for making things good for their customers so id try that route before Comp. I used to work at Circuit City and we sold some very low end VCRs. Those would come back 50% of the time within 5 weeks of selling them with a 30 day factory warranty! It got so bad that we just gave them a new one , didn't even send them out to get fixed. Dropped that line a few months later. Comp can't afford losing Summit account so they will capitulate with a Summit RTV (return to vendor) but not the general public.

Last edited:
You probably got a bad lifter. Comp Cams will most likely NOT warranty it unless they are their lifters too. If they aren't, I would contact the lifter manufacture & have them pay for it. A bad lifter could cause a lot more damage with metal particles throughout the engine too.
Ok yes the lifter are comp cam im gona call my swedish suplier on monday some thing is not right

Don't waste your time. Comp won't warrant anything they didn't install! Too many chances that the consumer didn't do what they were told in the installation procedure. And unfortunately you can't prove anything when they ask how you broke it in. Nah, write it off. Sorry.

summit did take two back. Reason to buy from summit

Il try doe

Pishta is probably correct, but try it anyway plymouth1937.

Always check even new lifters to make sure you can see light thru
the edges Not the middle. Flat Tappets are NOT flat if they did not have the
dome they would not rotate and would destroy the cam in short order! this apply
to Solid or Hydr. Flat tappets. To confuse you even more the lobes of the cam generally
have a very slight downhill taper built in them to help the lifter rotate.
This is way more info than you probably ever need to know but there it is.
In high School in mid 60's - I hung out way too much at Clay Smith Cams after school!

Real stiff valve springs can increase the chances of a bad cam break-in too. It's a hassle, but, doing a break-in with weaker springs and then later installing the stiff ones, is sometimes the best option.

Always check even new lifters to make sure you can see light thru
the edges Not the middle. Flat Tappets are NOT flat if they did not have the
dome they would not rotate and would destroy the cam in short order! this apply
to Solid or Hydr. Flat tappets. To confuse you even more the lobes of the cam generally
have a very slight downhill taper built in them to help the lifter rotate.
This is way more info than you probably ever need to know but there it is.
In high School in mid 60's - I hung out way too much at Clay Smith Cams after school!
Yes sire im well avere of how a cam and lifter works but roomer tell me that comp cam has problems whid quality on there products

Real stiff valve springs can increase the chances of a bad cam break-in too. It's a hassle, but, doing a break-in with weaker springs and then later installing the stiff ones, is sometimes the best option.
No problem there i use reforced stock springs

Comp is crap.

Could have went flat from numerous things... just one lobe.. check the spring pressure, that the lifter spins , coil bind.

When you dont catch it right away.. you can't just say it was a bad lobe till you check the above. If you do catch it right away.. with all else correct..it will show as porosity near/at the peak of the lobe...either a issue with the core or hardening process

Hi you all took the 318 apart today and the new cam comp cam 268 is flat on one lobe the lifter is grounded out like i newer seen before i onley have like 100km on the engine when i blow a head gasket anybody made a warranty claim aginst comp cam iv been building and rebuilding mopar sb sens the mid 80s but newer seen this before and in that short time
Once you get a new camshaft and lifters, read the thread below completely for excellent assembly tips, and post 111 very carefully for tips specific to flat tappet camshaft inspection.
400/450 stroker....Cheap parts, lotta work.

Comp is crap.

Could have went flat from numerous things... just one lobe.. check the spring pressure, that the lifter spins , coil bind.

When you dont catch it right away.. you can't just say it was a bad lobe till you check the above. If you do catch it right away.. with all else correct..it will show as porosity near/at the peak of the lobe...either a issue with the core or hardening process
Iv chekt all of the abowe good night

New cam and lifters? Break in first 1 minute watching the lifters to see if they are rotating ( put a dab of whiteout on the edges) if the lifters are not rotating, stop and investigate why before you ruin that cam. Someone suggested manually giving the lifters a nudge to start the process but how tou gonna do that wirh the frigging intake on? Maybe they meant when your cranking it (after pre oiling) with the intake off? Lycka till!

summit did take two back. Reason to buy from summit
I agree 100% with this. Summit has second to none customer service. They've helped me out several times even when the box and instructions said "DO NOT RETURN TO VENDOR". All I did was call Summit and ask and they started the return process each time, no questions asked.

New cam and lifters? Break in first 1 minute watching the lifters to see if they are rotating ( put a dab of whiteout on the edges) if the lifters are not rotating, stop and investigate why before you ruin that cam. Someone suggested manually giving the lifters a nudge to start the process but how tou gonna do that wirh the frigging intake on? Maybe they meant when your cranking it (after pre oiling) with the intake off? Lycka till!
Yup, it's a good idea to make sure the lifters will rotate in their bores when you are assembling the engine. You can usually spin them with the engine running too, by pushing down on the push rod and rotating it at the same time. Kind of a messy job on a high RPM cam break-in though! I have a pair of valve covers I cut up for that job. It helps keep oil from dripping from the head down the sides while doing valve adjustments too.

Buddy had two Comp Cams 268 mopar big block cam and lifters go bad on an engine run stand 3 weeks apart. Bought from Summit, got refund.

Got a 20 year old NOS mopar performance cam… no problems. Car has been driving around for 1 1/2 years now.

Sad we even have to discuss such

Sad to hear such !!
Seems like this topic has gotten worse over the last 5 years.

-
Back