Comp cam XE 274 help

-

318boy

Reaction score
Hi folks I'm new to this site from B.C. Canada but have read many threads on engine builds in the past. Trying to find a new Comp Cam kit # K20-224-4 XE 274 h , cam ,lifters, timing chain , springs and such. I've searched many stores through Canada and the States without luck for a 318 LA build . Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

I did order from Jegs but when contacting Comp cams they said the did not yet have cores available for grinds , but should not be too long . Apparently they've been waiting for a few months but wont give a date yet

Nice cam for a street performing 318.

Call other cam companies directly.

Schneider racing cams
Howard’s
Etc…..

Give the specs and purpose of your project before you pull the trigger. Lots
of experience here if you want it...or contact one of the cam companies.

I'm planning my build around this cam but am waiting for Comp to have the blanks to grind , apparently they have been waiting for a few months now. I put in an order with Jegs but was hoping for a solid date

See if you can find a Lunati 703 or 704 camshaft

Same basic size of cam and maybe a little stronger on the 704.

Do your research on a hydraulic drivetrain. Anything recently is garbage per reviews. Maybe aske about a solid flat tappet setup?
I'm in Ontario, maybe try Karbelt Speed/Custom, here in Oshawa Ontario. Speak to Corey.

Yes I tried mopac but they said the same thing as everyone else nothing in stock and have to special order from comp. Comp still hasn't set a date on blanks to grind , not really crazy on other cams listed in the same size or larger , just building a mild street application and already have other parts built around this cam. Hopefully something shows up

I have the XE 268H in my 340, and it is an awesome cam. Very nice lopey idle and lots of power. The 274 cam might not be a bit much for a 318 unless you build the rest of the engine for it. I see you are planning on doing that. It should be an AWESOME 318.

Last edited:
E36E0B51-972B-432D-9D7C-4D4F973C8686.jpeg

Hi folks I'm new to this site from B.C. Canada but have read many threads on engine builds in the past. Trying to find a new Comp Cam kit # K20-224-4 XE 274 h , cam ,lifters, timing chain , springs and such. I've searched many stores through Canada and the States without luck for a 318 LA build . Can anyone point me in the right direction please.
Keep in mind (and you may already know this/IDK), that Advertised numbers can fool you;
Some cams are spec'd at .006Tappet rise, others at .008, and still others at .001.. The closer to zero, the bigger a cam will read.
Therefore; not all 274s are alike.
You can take a specific cam that is spec'd as a [email protected] cam, and respec it @.008 and it be "only" a 270 or something, yet it is the exact same cam.
The point is that long-period cams may have late closing Intake angles, which will reduce your cylinder pressure. This may or may not, be a good thing, depending on your Scr.. 318s are notoriously hard to get decent street cylinder pressure out of, with off-the-shelf parts.
Low CCP (Cranking cylinder pressure) manifests as; soft low rpm power, which usually requires a higher stall and gears to overcome, reduced fuel-economy, and a lazy throttle-response..
The difference can easily be in the range of 1.0 to 1.3psi per degree(or more); thus 4 degrees could be 4 or 5psi. If the pressure increases from say 160 to 165, then you may have to run a higher grade of fuel to avoid detonation. But if the pressure falls from say 135 to 130, then she becomes very lazy down at low rpm.

Some manufacturers take advantage of the spec'ing system, to sell you a say [email protected] spec'd cam, that they can brag will outperform another manufacturers cam, also spec'd at 274 but at .006. and it might, depending on the rest of the cam specs.
It's not as bad as it used to be 50 years ago; but you still have to keep it in mind.

For a 318 to run that 274cam efficiently, with a Dcr of near 8/1, the Scr will need to be up around 10/1. This will drive your CCP to near 165psi, and your gas requirement into 91 at WOT. This is really only important if you are running a clutch, and street-friendly gears which, on the street, is gonna drag the rpm down below 3000rpm for a lot of the time. The manual-trans equipped 318 will not do well down there unless it has decent CCP.

You may know all this, IDK, so if you do, sorry to have wasted your time.

Last edited:
If you are building a 10 to 1 motor that cam may be a good choice. If it is a stockish low compression 318 it will not make for a good combo imo.

I will be running about 10.75 to 1 compression Keith black domed pistons with ported 714 heads and 1.88" , 1.60" stainless valves, headers , dual exhaust , Performer RPM air gap , 650 cam carb , prepped A500 with stage 2 shift kit , 2800 stall , and 3.91 gears. My builder has built a few of these combos with good results. Not worried about fuel have many options

I have the XE 268H in my 340, and it is an awesome cam. Very nice lopey idle and lots of power. The 274 cam might not be a bit much for a 318 unless you build the rest of the engine for it. I see you are planning on doing that. It should be an AWESOME 318.
Do you have power brake,s,

-
Back