Comp cam Xe268

-

Dalton697

Reaction score
I've got 1974 sport 360 .60 with over 9.5 compression withdual plane intake with edelbrock thunder 650 with 2200 stall putting comp cam xe268 is anyone running anything close to wondering where to set the timing

.. i'm at 13 initial,34 total and i had to slow my advance down from all in at 1800 to about 2800 to prevent detonation.
..30 over 340/x heads

I've got 1974 sport 360 .60 with over 9.5 compression withdual plane intake with edelbrock thunder 650 with 2200 stall putting comp cam xe268 is anyone running anything close to wondering where to set the timing

I would think a good starting point for initial would be around 16*, of course you will probably have to limit your mechanical.

I run a very similar set-up. Same carb,same cam.
What I would suggest is to set the total timming between 34-36 deg. (No vac adv).
Then check your initial,to see where it's at. Take it for a drive,and see how it runs.
This isn't a radical cam,so high initial timming won't be necessary.
You will find that your setup will run well between 12-16 initial 34-36 full advance.
This is right around where I run mine.

If you feel the need for more initial,then some recurving will be necessary.
I run the Mopar Performance distributor/elec ignition kit,and the dist works great right out of the box.

Im running 20 initial 37 total holley 770 street avenger and I dont think you can get it any better. Also I had to limit my dist last week I tried a little J B weld and it worked great, I have small dremmel tools for grinding out but this was much easier than welding in.

Talked to a Comp cams rep about a nice street strip combo and he recommended the 268. Very streetable and makes good power.

I'm running the XS274 and I'm got mine set to run 16 initial and 36 total. This thing runs great.

I have pretty much same set up. Comp 268 XE, edelbrock 650 AVS Thunder.edelbrock airgap manifold, mopar electronic ignition. Brian at IMM set the initial at 10 degrees and 33 total. This engine has 9.58 compression.

-
Back