Comp Cams...trouble in paradise?

-
Kirk, I don't know where this is going as far as the Comp cams issues, but I did have some experience with Pontiac's as far as what combo's work & which don't.

Depending on where your Boy is going with this build, he won't necessarily need a "Hot Rod" cam...especially with stockish "D" port heads. Some of the milder, factory designed grinds can make great power.

Post the combo here or PM me if you'd rather speak about it away from here. I'm no expert, but I surely learned my lesson on a few of these bad boy's years ago. If you'd like one guys opinion, just let me know?

Agreed, above post. Pontiacs, are their own world. I decammed my 400,went 8.2 to 10.4 actual compression ( 72 7k3 heads, swapped for '68 era 16 castings, zero decked block. Just junkyard parts, what a difference in sound , power & torque)

Get a cam with lifters that have little wheels on the bottom of them....

I haven't had any issues with any of Comp's cams but did have some issues with 2 sets of their hyd lifters in 2007. They honored the warranty without question.

As for this Pontiac crapola thing, Pisha! In 1983 I was 19 and bought a 72 Grand Prix with the original low compression 400 HO (7k3 heads) with a mild Crane cam and Holley intake and cheap headers with a 3.08 crazy wheel rearend and ran 13.90's at 105. No street cred my foot Rob, LOL... I raced any and everything that'd race me and the only ones I had much trouble with were good running Mopar's. Sorry, 318's may be great engines but I left every one I ran so far in the dust I could barely see their headlights.

Sorry to get off track Kirk. Had to stir the pot, lol

View attachment 72 Grand Prix SJ.jpg

I haven't had any issues with any of Comp's cams but did have some issues with 2 sets of their hyd lifters in 2007. They honored the warranty without question.

As for this Pontiac crapola thing, Pisha! In 1983 I was 19 and bought a 72 Grand Prix with the original low compression 400 HO (7k3 heads) with a mild Crane cam and Holley intake and cheap headers with a 3.08 crazy wheel rearend and ran 13.90's at 105. No street cred my foot Rob, LOL... I raced any and everything that'd race me and the only ones I had much trouble with were good running Mopar's. Sorry, 318's may be great engines but I left every one I ran so far in the dust I could barely see their headlights.

Tracy, Thanks! I dying laughing, at this post. Just, thank you....

<fingers in ears> blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah. lol

I wiped a comp cam in my 360. I did like ink junkie said, haven't wiped a lobe since!

Flat tappet profiles suck anyway

Comp Cams

A very good quality product. But, there have been some 'minor' issues with
the lobes in a couple of their grinds.

It was a quality control issue that was corrected.

They aren't the #1 seller of Camshafts by mistake.

My builder convinced me to go with a Comp cam versus Lunati or a custom grind. He feels comfortable with them, so that's what we went with. As far as Pontiacs not being able to run, ask VOETOM. This is his dad's wagon liftin the front tire.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GHYxPqePv8"]71 LeMans Station Wagon at Strip, Run #8, 11.58 at 115 + mph - YouTube[/ame]

Old wagons are a rarity. Old Pontiac wagons have to be like hen's teeth. That thing is cool.

I learned to drive on a '77 Pontiac wagon. 400-4bbl, TH400. I loved that car. Pontiac is by far my 2nd choice, although I've only owned two non-Mopars over the years. I'd still like to find a '77 "woodie" Gran Safari wagon with a 400.

Yeah Summit for one. I see Brad Penn oil all the time at swap meets being sold by multiple vendors. My engine guy is a dealer and he says he sells it for less $$ than Summit.

You can also buy ZDDP additive in plastic bottles to add to regular oil.
To which my engine guy says "When you buy Mountain Dew, do you go home and add sugar to it?" He said when he went to a Brad Penn seminar last summer, that's what the speaker said. Well, of course his main goal was to sell more oil so.....

Nice Grand Prix...

318's..what are those??:D:D

Kirk, I don't know where this is going as far as the Comp cams issues, but I did have some experience with Pontiac's as far as what combo's work & which don't.

Depending on where your Boy is going with this build, he won't necessarily need a "Hot Rod" cam...especially with stockish "D" port heads. Some of the milder, factory designed grinds can make great power.

Post the combo here or PM me if you'd rather speak about it away from here. I'm no expert, but I surely learned my lesson on a few of these bad boy's years ago. If you'd like one guys opinion, just let me know?

Rick, the engine builder has already ordered a Lunati Voodoo (not sure on specs but fairly mild) that is, I believe, a hydraulic flat-tappet cam.
Regardless, I will educate my son on the virtues of a zinc/phosphorus rich oil or blend thans to the great info on this thread!
In fact, when discussing my cam, the same builder mentioned going with a hyd. roller on my 340 so I wouldn't have to deal with "those zinc issues"...now I probably know as much as he does, thanks to the responses here.
There's a reason FABO is the best.......:burnout:

Oh, and Rusty; I've known some pretty wicked-*** Pontiacs in my past. I'd rather have him build a P-word than say, take up ballet....:D

Not sure where it's going...combo, intended use? But myself, I could live with the Lunati 701/702 with D port's on a street car. I hope the shop has recommended new rocker studs and some adjustable nuts...It really does help out the stock valvetrain on these engines. Hope thing's turn out well for you guys. :thumbrig:

Not sure where it's going...combo, intended use? But myself, I could live with the Lun 701/702 with D port's on a street car. I hope it turns out well for you guys. :thumbrig:
Street car. Maybe a track run or two but primarily a street motor Firebird.

I wiped a comp cam in my 360. I did like ink junkie said, haven't wiped a lobe since!

Flat tappet profiles suck anyway

You apparently haven't looked at some of the profiles in the comp lobe catalog. There are some that are more aggressive than a stout hydraulic roller. Nevertheless a roller is the way to go if you can afford it

I just like givin Ponchos a hard time. But really, if you look back at history, they didn't have much that really competed stock for stock.

That said, I have always kinda pined for a 70 428 4 speed Grand Prix.

Ill raise you a 70 Monte BB A/T, with the fattest tires.. Black on black on black.ooya

While Ponchos lacked street cred in stock form, they were head and shoulders above Chevy for luxury. Junk. LOL

But hay, if we're gonna have a GM brawl, I'll take a 70 GSX and mop the floor with all yall. LOL

And that comes from somebody that has a numbers matching 70 LS5 Chevelle sittin in the driveway.

Hell to the yeah... lol

Attachments

• GSX.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 183
Oooh, a banana-flavored GSX! I love those cars. One of the biggest sleepers ever!

-
Back