Comp-Cams 'Xtreme' XE-268 vs. Crower 'Ultra-Beast' 269H

-
The car will be at Rockingham Dragway {Rockingham, North Carolina} on Saturday - February 14th, for testing.

I wish I could be there on the 14th "P". I love racing & watching cars like this. :thumbrig:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say...the 60' may suffer a hair, but the overall 1/8th - 1/4mi times will be a little better with the Crower, assuming the shift points are in line.

In my experience, cars like this tend to perform well getting the first gear high up in the rpm range & then riding that 1500ish, or so, shift drop right to the finish line...

Time will tell :), and thanks for posting your results here.

Performance Results

1970 Duster 340 ~ 4-Speed ~ 3.91 Gears

Factory Output Specifications
* 275 HP @ 5000 RPM's
* 340 Ft/Lbs. of Torque @ 3200 RPM's

* Average Factory Tested Performance ... 14.22 @ 98.05 MPH

Re-freshened with previous listed Specifications w/Stock Valve Train

Tested Output
* 293 @ 5200 RPM's
* 351 Ft/Lbs. @ 3600 RPM's

* Best Performance ............................... 14.03 @ 99.22 MPH

With Comp-Cams XE-268 'Xtreme-Energy' Camshaft and Valve Train

Tested Output
* 322 HP @ 5500 RPM's
* 380 Ft/Lbs. of Torque @ 4000 RPM's

* Best Performance ............................... 13.72 @ 102.42 MPH

Thanks O-M-R,

The Comp-Cams XE-268H has fast-acting lobes, and gave the 340
a noticeable boost on the Bottom-End and Mid-Range.

And the Torque had a flat-curve between 3500 and 4700 RPM's,
where Mid-Range power was both consistent and strong.

As you can see, we netted a {+29 HP} over a stock 'blueprinted'
340, and increased the RPM power-range {+300 RPM's}.

Comp-Cams had advertised the 'XE-268H' as a {+31 to +37}
Horsepower gain over a 'stock' 340 Camshaft.

So overall, we we're close.

It's never easy to be very repeatable with a stick car that's not a pure race deal - but variations in driver aside I'd expect the performance will be down a hair with the Beast vs the XE268, but in terms of dragstrip performance it's within the percentage of error. The less area under the curve will hurt a small amount, and the faster exh closing won't do much with the stock exhaust manifolding and full pipes. However the wider LSA and retarded ICL may help the launch and low end, and the slightly lighter valve springs free up a little power. (I'm assuming those were changed or were the 901-16s left in?).

Moper,

When we change to the Crower 269H Camshaft next week, the Crower Valve Springs {higher load-rate} will also be utilized.

On the Comp-Cams XE-268H,

We can see why this Cam Profile is the 'Best Selling' bumpstick from Comp-Cams.
It is a great all-around Camshaft, and it has 'Daily-Driver' capabilities.

Looks like "moper" and I are on different sides of the coin here...Hey "D" :wave:. He has way more practical/numerical experience then i do, versus my "butt" dyno on a lot of these cars over the years. Can't wait to see how the numbers work out, and I have no problem giving a :notworth: if my thoughts are off the mark. This is fun stuff for me.....it keeps me thinking and feeling like I'm still in the game. :)

It's never easy to be very repeatable with a stick car that's not a pure race deal - but variations in driver aside I'd expect the performance will be down a hair with the Beast vs the XE268, but in terms of dragstrip performance it's within the percentage of error. The less area under the curve will hurt a small amount, and the faster exh closing won't do much with the stock exhaust manifolding and full pipes. However the wider LSA and retarded ICL may help the launch and low end, and the slightly lighter valve springs free up a little power. (I'm assuming those were changed or were the 901-16s left in?).

Sounds, about right... FWIW, My experience with this grind, is best with a stall converter (Road Runner/good tuning, 2800-3000 tight lights it up) The stick shift , new territory , to me.. Too close, to call....

69 cuda 440, after running that 13.72@102 with the XE268, what are you guys thoughts on the Crower? I can't see swapping to that particular cam unless you think there could be some upside?

69 cuda 440, after running that 13.72@102 with the XE268, what are you guys thoughts on the Crower? I can't see swapping to that particular cam unless you think there could be some upside?

O-M-R,

We got the Crower 269H Camshaft and Kit from {Kerry} at Crower for 'free' to test the performance compared to a Comp-Cams XE-268H.

Crower believes that the #269H can hold its own with the Comp-Cams XE-268 through Upper Mid-Range, and out-perform it on the
Top-End.

They concede that the Comp-Cams XE-268 is a better Cam on the Bottom-End and thru Early Mid-Range.

You can have to very similarly ground cams on paper, such as these 2 cams, yet the lobe can be ground differently. The duration specs at .050 and gross are just 2 of the figures. What about duration at .200 lift? That's where things can change and why two very similar looking cams can run different in the same setup

True, but the duration at .050 isn't the same so it isn't apples to apples to begin with.

I've personally had great success with wide LSA's on milder close ratio 4spd cars with some gear

I've had success with them in auto cars. I think it's about having the whole combo working in synch is what it really boils down to.

Makes sense, Rick. The guy I use, works the exhaust port really hard, uses a deep split pattern ,with a wider lobe center. The Nova 350 we talked about, uses a off the shelf solid , on a 114. (He likes to RPM everything, into the stratosphere. Hence, a flat tappet).

Don't think that a wide LSA or a solid cam means high RPM. It doesn't. A solid cam ALLOWS more RPM. My experience with wide LSA cams is that they peak at a relatively low RPM but fall off slow. Basically a broad powerband.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say...the 60' may suffer a hair, but the overall 1/8th - 1/4mi times will be a little better with the Crower, assuming the shift points are in line.

69 cuda 440, what are you guys thoughts on the Crower?

O-M-R, Crower believes that the #269H can hold its own with the Comp-Cams XE-268 through Upper Mid-Range, and out-perform it on the Top-End.

They concede that the Comp-Cams XE-268 is a better Cam on the Bottom-End and thru Early Mid-Range.

Thank you for the response. Looks like my thinking is the same as Crower's. :thumbrig:

-
Back