comp XE HL 275 camshaft

-

D-mailman

Reaction score
Comp cams XE HL 275. Anyone use one of these? How does it behave at idle? What vacuum does it pull? In Duster, 340, 9.0 , air gap, 1 3/4 hookers, auto, 10" TCI, ported J heads(254 cfm), 3310 w/pro-form main body, manual steering & brakes, 3.91. Mostly street driven now. Old cam was MP 284/484, with Holly strip dom. Good cam, didnt have enough compression for it. 3000 up it was great..only 4" of vacuum at 1000 in drive. Changing over to air gap and maybe XE HL 275...this should be an improvement the on street. Any thoughts ? Anyone use this combo? Please advise and thanks. Terry B.

OneHellofaDart runs a XE274 and Fastback340 just stabbed one in his motor but hasnt fired it yet.

I say get a real cam... But what exactly are you trying to accomplish? That cam will idle relatively smooth, but you've got enough motor to run something in th 284 to 292 range without any problems other than vacuum, and thats easily solved with a vacuum canister...

He's looking to replce a MP 284.484 because it didnt have enough vacume. The XE275HL will build more vacume then the MP284. the Mp 284 is 246 @ .050 duration while the XE275 is about 234 @ .050"

the extreme energy line of cams is freakin awesome! I have a XS274S also- just waiting for my turn on the dyno now- they came out with the High lift cams right after I ordered mine- I'd say try it and you won't be disapointed

AdamR said:
..... and Fastback340 just stabbed one in his motor but hasnt fired it yet.

Go ahead, keep reminding me...... :tongue:

I'm trying to decide on a cam for the 408 we're putting together for my Demon 1/8 mile car( 3800 stall, 4.56 gears, 9"slicks). Looking at the Comp XE285XL, Lunati VooDoo #60405(the biggest one) or a Comp XS282S solid lifter. Any thoughts? Heads are stock Eddies, 10.5 compression Probe pistons, H-beams, Eagle crank, M1 single plane, 750HP carb, Hooker Super Comps, Zex 150 shot. Thanks

Welcome to the board. Glad to see you have been looking around and found this old thread.

Klrfish1968 made a noteable coment I'd like to add to, most do not know that the Comp Cam's XE series cam doesn't take fullest advantage of the 904 lifter but there hi-lift series of cam is about as good as it gets.
Huges and Lunati also make excellent grinds.

I'd stick with a split pattern cam with the OOTB Edelrbock heads and in the duration of your operating RPM. Seeing what you put up in choices, in which there all good, the fine details of this build are up to you. And I don't think theres really a bad choice in the split pattern cams you have listed.

More lift the merry with heads. No sense going beyond stall point in the heads unless your racing for the money.

Since this thread was last alive, Fastback340 has had his ride out and about.
I do think he likes his power plant build.

I run an XE268H in a 10.6:1 360 and its a great street cam. Idles at 650 rpm almost as smooth as a stocker and pulls 13-14 "Hg of vacuum. It runs hard from 1500 rpm to 6000+.

I would think that the XE275HL would work well for you.

It's the aggressive rates that makes these modern fast ramp cams idle smoother for a given duration at fifty. They don't bleed off cylinder pressure as much because the advertised duration is much less.

The VooDoo 268 is very close to the Comp XE268 about 4 degrees more at 0.050. Can't see it idling much differently than the Comp XE268. I have heard folks say the Comp has quite a lope to, must be my combo.

In either case I don't think you can go wrong with the Comp XE series or a Lunati VooDoo.

It's the aggressive rates that makes these modern fast ramp cams idle smoother for a given duration at fifty. They don't bleed off cylinder pressure as much because the advertised duration is much less.

The VooDoo 268 is very close to the Comp XE268 about 4 degrees more at 0.050. Can't see it idling much differently than the Comp XE268. I have heard folks say the Comp has quite a lope to, must be my combo.

In either case I don't think you can go wrong with the Comp XE series or a Lunati VooDoo.

You know, I have used the 275 comp, and it sounds and runs about like my 268 voodoo. The voodoo hits harder when it comes on tho. What the voodoo 268 DOES do more than the 275 comp, is header ping, them headers on my 390, and the 360 I built for a guys jeep, ping like nuts. the cam timing itslef has a lot to do with it too.

I am scared of comp cams tho, had a few too many wipe a lobe, or LOBES, and I am not the only one.

You can hear the combustion come through the header when the exhaust valve starts to open, what happens when the ex valve is opening on the bottom of the exhaust stroke, kinda a scavenging effect. You can hear it through the headers.

dodge, it's the exh valve opening too early, truthfully. It's opening when there is still a bunch of pressure in the cylinder. I have yet to run Lunati, because I dont particularly love the lobe designs for street cars. I will say, fewer than 5% of cam failures can be attributed to the cam or lifter themselves. It's ALWAYS something to do with installation, oiling, or first-starting procedures. I have seen lifer with no crown, and I have seen flat tappets with no taper... but the usual culprite is assembly/starting errors.

Thanks for all the good input. I think I'll try the Comp XE285XL and see what happens. Should work well with the lil' shot of nitrous (less overlap, good exhaust scavenging). I'm sure the Lunati will run like crazy but I gotta pick one and those folks at Comp seem to have a pretty good handle on modern Mopar cam designs with this series.

-
Back