**Comp XE268H in a 273...**

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
I need some feedback on a Comp XE268H cam in a 273, stock but with ~.040 cut from "302" heads, ex. manifolds and dual exhaust.

I think it's a little big.

That's a nice cam in a 360. It will idle like a top fuler in a 273.

You'll probably want to use a cam 15 or so degrees less than a similar built 340

I need some feedback on a Comp XE268H cam in a 273, stock but with ~.040 cut from "302" heads, ex. manifolds and dual exhaust.

Domes or flat top pistons? Compression ratio? Transmission? Auto with stall convertor? Rear gear? What do you want to do with the car?

Domes or flat top pistons? Compression ratio? Transmission? Auto with stall convertor? Rear gear? What do you want to do with the car?

Mike...it's just my '67 'vert cruiser...273, 2bbl pistons ('302' heads cut~.040), CR somewhere in the 9's, stock convertor,3.23 rear...just cruising...not a street machine...not concerned with 1/4 mile performance....never see high side of 4000. Just looking for a good parking lot sound.

Rob...that Howards cam says "Smooth idle"...not really what I'm after.

Mike...it's just my '67 'vert cruiser...273, 2bbl pistons ('302' heads cut~.040), CR somewhere in the 9's, stock convertor,3.23 rear...just cruising...not a street machine...not concerned with 1/4 mile performance....never see high side of 4000. Just looking for a good parking lot sound.

It will not be smooth in a 273.

Forgot to ask. Do you want to convert to hydraulic or stay with solids?

I ran the Comp cams 20-246-4, 468 lift. solid in my 65 recommended upgrade for the 10.5:1 commando motor. Motor ran killer.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwuhOzcC3O8"]65Dart - YouTube[/ame]

I wouldn't. I'm putting Lunati's 10200701 in my 318 with 302 heads this weekend, and I'm not shaving them down at all.

If you are just doing this for form instead of function, go with the Comp Cams thumper line of cam for your car, and stuff some rolled up socks in your crotch.

I ran the Comp cams 20-246-4, 468 lift. solid in my 65 recommended upgrade for the 10.5:1 commando motor. Motor ran killer.

65Dart - YouTube

Must have it idled up pretty good. This cam is recommended for 340 and 360 with stock convertor. I see you have a 4 speed.

Why would a Cam in a 318 idle smooth but same cam in a 273 not? Inquiring minds....

Because smaller cube engines make a camshaft sound bigger and act bigger. This is why larger cube engines need a larger than normal camshaft to achieve the same results. Cubic inches has a big effect on how a camshaft reacts in an engine. A 273 with a camshaft that hits a good lick for example. Pull that same cam out of the 273 and put it in a 408 and it will idle much smother.

Stroke has some to do with it too, but is not the entire variable.

Because smaller cube engines make a camshaft sound bigger and act bigger. This is why larger cube engines need a larger than normal camshaft to achieve the same results. Cubic inches has a big effect on how a camshaft reacts in an engine. A 273 with a camshaft that hits a good lick for example. Pull that same cam out of the 273 and put it in a 408 and it will idle much smother.

Stroke has some to do with it too, but is not the entire variable.
Some good info. thanks..

Then try this one if you don't believe me about the first one. This is the next size up, but in a 273 this one will not resemble a stock idle.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-cl710991-08/overview/make/dodge

Here's a Whiplash in a 318. Not sure of the number though.
[ame]https://youtu.be/ufRTSVOnmDQ[/ame]

-
Back