Complete interior upgrade on my 70 Swinger.

-
Gotta love the white interior!(cool in summer)Can,t be getting in there with your worky,s on!You,ve done a beauty job!I,ve gotta do my 66 Dart.

Can you see the difference?

ChazRam,

I see the difference and I like the polished trim rings vs. the brushed trim rings. Can I assume you have the 14" X 5.5" Rallye wheels? If so, where did you get the polished trim rings and how much $ did you spend (if you don't mind me asking)? Information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Man, sorry for not getting on the site and checking out the thread. To answer some of the questions I will go in order by response,

Dfnsmn34, how goes it bud?? The rings are 14 inchers. I got them from a local guy who sold me a spare pair of wheels. They are year one repops and fit nicer than the others.

DartGtDan, I bought the polished rings from a guy in my area. Paid $60.00 bucks for them. He had replaced his with the same rings I got my hands on. They are year one repops and fit much nicer than the polished ones. They were a bit of a pain to get on but go farther into the wheel center and just look much nicer. I would have liked to get polished ones but I only paid $60.00 bucks for five with two spare wheels and could not pass it up. They will look really nice when I get wheel opening trim on the car. I took some foil and just shaped it around the opening for a test and it will look great when them trim pieces are added.

340_dart_power, I got the mirrors off Ebay. A guy sells them who lives in Ohio. He always posts some. He sells them in pairs only. $110.00 plus $10.00 dollars shipping. They are the same as originals except no Pentastar logo. One point of concern is the studs. they come loose and must be installed prior. The chrome makes it a little snug. Tip here would be to take a tap and just screw it in a back it out to get the threads cleaned up a bit. Other than that they look and fit nice. Door handles are from Ebay also. A guy was selling NOS handles and I got them. They are OEM and not repops. Paid $50.00 for them. Had to change the piece behind the button as mine had the early ball and clip fitting and not the plastic clip on the rod type of assembly.

70dart, that wheel is your basic Grant 13 inch wheel. I mentioned my large size so hence the smaller wheel. What makes it look a tad different is the cover that goes behind the wheel that covers the end of the steering column. When I rebuilt the steering column and painted it I also painted this piece too. It was black before I shot it with the blue. I thought it was a nice touch. Kind of adds something. Dont you think??

All in all I got what I wanted out of the interior upgrade. The car just did not have enough 'pop' with the blue interior and it did smell old. Like 72 Demon added and this was my goal was to try to retain a more stock appearence with a little added flair but not go over the top. I know this interior is not original for a 70 Dart now but I could care less about numbers matching and that 'must be correct' stygma. This was what I wanted and I made the blue as light as I did to not only brighten up the interior but accent the blue on the outside of the car. It was meant to compliment each aspect of the car. I just spent several hours today scrubbing the vinyl top and it is as white as the stripe now. Soon the dual scoops go on the car and they will be white also. I have a bit of work to do still this year but have some plans for next year too. Thanks again for responding and the comments are like fuel to my fire. I will post some updates as they happen if anyone is interested.
Chas.

Man, sorry for not getting on the site and checking out the thread. To answer some of the questions I will go in order by response,

Dfnsmn34, how goes it bud?? The rings are 14 inchers. I got them from a local guy who sold me a spare pair of wheels. They are year one repops and fit nicer than the others.

DartGtDan, I bought the polished rings from a guy in my area. Paid $60.00 bucks for them. He had replaced his with the same rings I got my hands on. They are year one repops and fit much nicer than the polished ones. They were a bit of a pain to get on but go farther into the wheel center and just look much nicer. I would have liked to get polished ones but I only paid $60.00 bucks for five with two spare wheels and could not pass it up. They will look really nice when I get wheel opening trim on the car. I took some foil and just shaped it around the opening for a test and it will look great when them trim pieces are added.

340_dart_power, I got the mirrors off Ebay. A guy sells them who lives in Ohio. He always posts some. He sells them in pairs only. $110.00 plus $10.00 dollars shipping. They are the same as originals except no Pentastar logo. One point of concern is the studs. they come loose and must be installed prior. The chrome makes it a little snug. Tip here would be to take a tap and just screw it in a back it out to get the threads cleaned up a bit. Other than that they look and fit nice. Door handles are from Ebay also. A guy was selling NOS handles and I got them. They are OEM and not repops. Paid $50.00 for them. Had to change the piece behind the button as mine had the early ball and clip fitting and not the plastic clip on the rod type of assembly.

70dart, that wheel is your basic Grant 13 inch wheel. I mentioned my large size so hence the smaller wheel. What makes it look a tad different is the cover that goes behind the wheel that covers the end of the steering column. When I rebuilt the steering column and painted it I also painted this piece too. It was black before I shot it with the blue. I thought it was a nice touch. Kind of adds something. Dont you think??

All in all I got what I wanted out of the interior upgrade. The car just did not have enough 'pop' with the blue interior and it did smell old. Like 72 Demon added and this was my goal was to try to retain a more stock appearence with a little added flair but not go over the top. I know this interior is not original for a 70 Dart now but I could care less about numbers matching and that 'must be correct' stygma. This was what I wanted and I made the blue as light as I did to not only brighten up the interior but accent the blue on the outside of the car. It was meant to compliment each aspect of the car. I just spent several hours today scrubbing the vinyl top and it is as white as the stripe now. Soon the dual scoops go on the car and they will be white also. I have a bit of work to do still this year but have some plans for next year too. Thanks again for responding and the comments are like fuel to my fire. I will post some updates as they happen if anyone is interested.
Chas.

Thanks for the response & info.
It looks great. I'll keep my eyes open for the mirrors and handles on eBay.
I'm still waiting to get mine back from the shop doing the new headliner and
vinyl top install. Should be done later today (Thursday, June 18, 2009).

Very nice job Chas, it really looks fantastic.

On your door panels, did you buy them white or dye them?

-
Back