Compression increase ? what will I get ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
Just got a random question. If I were to increase my 273 +.030 compression ( with head change & thin gaskets). And was to increase from say 8.0 to1--to 9.0 to1 What would it do for me?
More HP/ how much ?
Torque/ how much ? Since 273 are not big in this area
Gas mileage/ much if any improvement ?
Just trying to decide if the money it would cost is worth it.

Are you talking about running a .030" thinner head gasket?

I don't know that you would gain an entire point, but what kind of heads are you talking about using, against what kind of head are you using? CC change makes a big difference.

The best way to do this is to use a dynamic compression calculator and know the actual CC of your cylinder heads, by plexiglass with a couple of holes drilled in it, some grease and a solution of water/alcoholwith some food coloring and an mL syringe that is at least 35mL for two injections. Better, if you can find an 80mL syrenge.

You want to do the same with your pistons, to know actual CC, unless you've got advertised numbers that are close enough.

If you gained a full point in compression by dropping CC in head and gasket volume, you would be running higher premium fuel, inherently, you would see gains out of ignition advancing, lighter factory spring left in the dist, with a super light spring to replace the heavy factory spring, I'm guessing the engine would go from 130psi to around 145, coupled with better ignition tuning, timing coming in at 2400, you would see something like a real 40hp+- 50ft lb +- torque

There are a lot of other things that would factor into gains, depending on the tune.

Educate me.

How does higher compression ratio allow him to run more advance in the timing? Might it be the opposite, that he might have to retard the timing to avoid detonation due to higher compression?

I'm not saying 9 to 1 is too high. But I don't understand how higher CR would allow him to advance the timing. If it's just the premium fuel that allows for more advance, he could just buy premium and run more advance without the engine work.

Are you talking about running a .030" thinner head gasket?

I don't know that you would gain an entire point, but what kind of heads are you talking about using, against what kind of head are you using? CC change makes a big difference.

The best way to do this is to use a dynamic compression calculator and know the actual CC of your cylinder heads, by plexiglass with a couple of holes drilled in it, some grease and a solution of water/alcoholwith some food coloring and an mL syringe that is at least 35mL for two injections. Better, if you can find an 80mL syrenge.

You want to do the same with your pistons, to know actual CC, unless you've got advertised numbers that are close enough.

If you gained a full point in compression by dropping CC in head and gasket volume, you would be running higher premium fuel, inherently, you would see gains out of ignition advancing, lighter factory spring left in the dist, with a super light spring to replace the heavy factory spring, I'm guessing the engine would go from 130psi to around 145, coupled with better ignition tuning, timing coming in at 2400, you would see something like a real 40hp+- 50ft lb +- torque

There are a lot of other things that would factor into gains, depending on the tune.

Well right now my 273 is at .030 over W/flat top pistons. And has 675 open chamber 318 heads. When I do a n online compression simulation (summit) it comes out at about 7.8-1 My plan is to install 302 heart shaped closed chamber heads and a thin MR gasket .028" compressed gasket. When I run the number it looks to be around 8.8-1 I'm also going to do the GM HEI ignition thing ( right now I have points) & I have a Mopar performance electronic distributor with adjustable advance.
Do you really think I will need to use premium gas ?

If you know your cam specs you can calculate dynamic compression ratio to get a better idea of whether it will ping. I like this compression calculator for that purpose.

https://www.uempistons.com/index.ph...e=comp&zenid=328ef1b163a776182aae81164fa39b6f

You need to know when your intake valve opens. The longer the duration, the later the intake valve closes and the more pressure will bleed off. So you can run a higher static compression ratio with a bigger cam and get the same dynamic compression ratio.

As for what number is safe, I'm not really sure. They say 8:1 Dynamic CR will run on pump gas no problem (not sure what octane is required though). 8.8:1 static seems pretty safe to me even with a stock cam.

My build is going to be 9:1 with an Isky E-4 cam which puts my dynamic CR right around 8:1.

Educate me.

How does higher compression ratio allow him to run more advance in the timing? Might it be the opposite, that he might have to retard the timing to avoid detonation due to higher compression?

I'm not saying 9 to 1 is too high. But I don't understand how higher CR would allow him to advance the timing. If it's just the premium fuel that allows for more advance, he could just buy premium and run more advance without the engine work.

If you gained a full point in compression by dropping CC in head and gasket volume, you would be running higher premium fuel, inherently, you would see gains out of ignition advancing...

If the engine is at, or above 9:1 compression ratio, you would want to run mid-grade or premium.

Depending on the fuel chosen, you could run more advance and see gains.

You could see gains by doing the same thing with any engine and running higher premium fuels, but the gains are more significant with higher compression.

There is a cap on running minimum grade octane fuel. You can see gains by increasing compression to a certain level of ignition advance and overall cyl. press., no matter how you're getting it.

If your goal is to run min octane rating fuel, I would assume it's only to try and save money at the pump. The truth is, it won't save much in fuel cost, over running mid grade, because the engine isn't making the power that it could be, with better fuels. The engine will not have to work as hard, with higher cylinder pressure, combined with higher ignition advance.

This means throttle position will be lower to make the same power, you will use less of the fuel to make the same hp/tq at the same RPM.

It's also measurable, that because most min octane in ground fuel reservoirs see more use, they are inherently different in chemistry condition, between stations, compared to fuel chemistry on mid grade and premium fuels.

It also pays to test fuels coming from the stations you go to. There are some stations that I will not fuel at, because of water content in their min. octane tanks, even on daily drivers I have. Water content can affect all grades, but the chemistry/ octane rating is more stable, from my findings, between stations, with mid-grade and premium fuels.

The losses you see in money by running mid grade or premium, against min octane rating, make up the difference in fuel economy/ increase in HP/TQ, lower throttle positions, if you tune the engine to use the higher octane.

If you know your cam specs you can calculate dynamic compression ratio to get a better idea of whether it will ping. I like this compression calculator for that purpose.

https://www.uempistons.com/index.ph...e=comp&zenid=328ef1b163a776182aae81164fa39b6f

You need to know when your intake valve opens. The longer the duration, the later the intake valve closes and the more pressure will bleed off. So you can run a higher static compression ratio with a bigger cam and get the same dynamic compression ratio.

As for what number is safe, I'm not really sure. They say 8:1 Dynamic CR will run on pump gas no problem (not sure what octane is required though). 8.8:1 static seems pretty safe to me even with a stock cam.

My build is going to be 9:1 with an Isky E-4 cam which puts my dynamic CR right around 8:1.

At this point I know nothing about the cam (think its stock) the engine is a 66 273block. Was rebuilt at some time. +.030 flat top 2brl engine. The heads are the 273/318 newer model 675 open chamber. All of the mechanical valve train was replaced with hydraulic parts. The whole rebuild seems like it was a updated stock overhaul . That's why I think the cam is stock. About the only specs I will be able to figure out will be lift.

If you got a custom, double roller chain that has multiple crank keyways, you could degree the cam with a wheel and advance the cam cycle, to also gain more cylinder pressure.

In the end, making cylinder pressure is what makes power, no matter how you get it. Initial/static compression is one way, cam timing is another way, boosting, increasing the power of combustion is the idea. Nitrous oxide, better fuels that burn hotter, using more of the combustion cycle by starting the spark sooner, etc.

I'm willing to bet that if you got a new chain, that alone would advance the cam back to stock specs. If you went further and bumped it 3-4 degrees, it closes the intake valve sooner in the compression cycle, trapping more air on the up stroke, increasing cyl. pressure.

All that sounds reasonable. More power out of less throttle position , just by buying higher octane gas.

I think what you are saying is that you could purchase premium and run more advance, but you wouldn't be getting as much bang for your fuel buck as you would if you also increased the compression. That makes sense to me.

My local Costco charges 20 cents more per gallon for 91 octane than for 87 octane. That difference works out to 5.8% more for premium. To break even you would only need to achieve 0.87 mpg more assuming a baseline of 15 mpg.

This seems to be easily achievable with a full point increase in CR and more timing advance. But if the additional CR caused you to have to retard the timing, then your mileage might not improve.

All that sounds reasonable. More power out of less throttle position , just by buying higher octane gas.

And tuning the engine to use the fuel. Otherwise it doesn't change anything.

I think what you are saying is that you could purchase premium and run more advance, but you wouldn't be getting as much bang for your fuel buck as you would if you also increased the compression. That makes sense to me.

My local Costco charges 20 cents more per gallon for 91 octane than for 87 octane. That difference works out to 5.8% more for premium. To break even you would only need to achieve 0.87 mpg more assuming a baseline of 15 mpg.

This seems to be easily achievable with a full point increase in CR and more timing advance. But if the additional CR caused you to have to retard the timing, then your mileage might not improve.

The gains that I saw in a fuel injected engine that automatcally changed the timing, were about 2mpg going from min to mid grade. I think 1mpg on 15 is easy and I would bet that with the same driving habits on a tuned engine with higher CR and a bit more advance, it would get better economy, without a doubt.

Ultimately, the price per mile differences you are talking about is what convinced me to run 9.65:1 in the 318.

Once I get it back together, I'm putting it on an o2 reader on it to dial air/ fuel ratio on mid-grade.

Once I get it dialed and broken in, I may play with premium on higher advance to see if it also makes up the difference or comes close. If it does, I'm going to run premium.

My build comes in a 9:1 with a minimum cut on the deck and heads and a thick perma torque head gasket. If things go well with the thick gasket, I can swap to a thinner gasket and see if I get more gains.

I bumped static by using Keith Blacks and the 1121Gs (.028 compressed thickness @95lbs)

The reason I did this, was because with the closed chamber head (302) I was able to get CR up with additional gains from having a good quench distance between the piston and closed end of the head, at .039" total.

The big thing you want to pay attention to is the piston compression distance against the closed end of the chamber. If you can get it around .040" or tighter, you will see a lot of anti-pinging gains, allowing you more room for more timing advance.

I ended up with 9.65:1 with my combo, because I wanted quench. It paid off. I was able to get 34 total with no ping, all in at 2600rpm under load on mid grade.

The altitude I'm at dropped my dynamic, so I'm a lot closer to the same dynamic number you would have, which is going to be somewhere in the 8.3-8.5 range. Perfect for mid grade.

The heads were blended a touch, to radius the closed areas into the open areas for flame propagation and quench. Your open heads have smooth transitions.

I would prefer to use a flat top piston with a taller compression height, just as you have described. But there's no such animal available for the 273 unless you spring for custom pistons or the mill the heck out of the deck.

To get to zero deck with the stock flat top 273 pistons I would need to mill the deck .045" below spec. Since it's currently .010 above spec I would be milling a total of .055 off the deck.

To get the CR up, I'm using domed pistons from Kanter instead. After a cleanup cut of .005 off the deck, they will be .056 in the hole (measured opposite the flat part of the head) plus the gasket thickness which will be either .039 or .048. My understanding of quench is that this is way too much to get any benefit.

I didn't take the time yet to read the whole thread but a half point increase in compression shouldn't make much difference in performance and detonation shouldn't be an issue until you get past 9.5/1 or so. Knowing your combination, I would use the thinner gaskets if you have the heads off but I wouldn't pull the heads just to install the thinner gaskets with the thought of increasing performance. Initial timing and the proper advance curve will gain you more seat-of-the-pants performance than a half point of compression will. tmm

^
^
^
In a nutshell. If you're doing it to go with tighter heads, you'll see some gains, depending on the piston.

I would prefer to use a flat top piston with a taller compression height, just as you have described. But there's no such animal available for the 273 unless you spring for custom pistons or the mill the heck out of the deck.

To get to zero deck with the stock flat top 273 pistons I would need to mill the deck .045" below spec. Since it's currently .010 above spec I would be milling a total of .055 off the deck.

To get the CR up, I'm using domed pistons from Kanter instead. After a cleanup cut of .005 off the deck, they will be .056 in the hole (measured opposite the flat part of the head) plus the gasket thickness which will be either .039 or .048. My understanding of quench is that this is way too much to get any benefit.

That is correct. .039 gaskets should be used for zero CD pistons with closed chamber, or tighter. Thicker gaskets are designed for dome pistons and open chamber heads to move compression around to what you want.

If I had an engine that was runnning good, I'd go after the ignition timing/ curve first, run better rockers and head south for a good timing set to advance the cam 3-4 degrees, on a street engine.

A blueprinted ignition system can shave a half a second off of an E.T., even over a stock electronic system with factory components, let alone a points distributor.

Just got a random question. If I were to increase my 273 +.030 compression ( with head change & thin gaskets). And was to increase from say 8.0 to1--to 9.0 to1 What would it do for me?
More HP/ how much ?
Torque/ how much ? Since 273 are not big in this area
Gas mileage/ much if any improvement ?
Just trying to decide if the money it would cost is worth it.

So much crap in these threads. The direct and real answer to your question is,

If you go up one point in compression you will gain about 4% horsepower. So, if you are now making 250 HP you'll go all the way to a whopping 260 HP. You'll have to decide if that is worth it.

If you go up one point in compression you will gain about 4% horsepower. So, if you are now making 250 HP you'll go all the way to a whopping 260 HP. You'll have to decide if that is worth it.

Correct IQ,

General Rule

Typically with a Mopar 273 with Flat-Top Pistons

Going from 8.0 to 9.0 will generate a 4% Horsepower Gain {Maximum; +12 Horsepower}

A couple thoughts on this for the OP - Have you actually measured the values and claculated the compression - or are you going on manuals and printed specs?
On the increase - that's assuming you optimize the tune in both configurations. I doubt it would be even that much and I don't think you'll have any trouble running any octane with a 9:1 273 as long as it's properly tuned and maintained.

A couple thoughts on this for the OP - Have you actually measured the values and claculated the compression - or are you going on manuals and printed specs?
On the increase - that's assuming you optimize the tune in both configurations. I doubt it would be even that much and I don't think you'll have any trouble running any octane with a 9:1 273 as long as it's properly tuned and maintained.

No all have done is run numbers on a compression program (summit). My 273 had a blown leaking head gasket. So I had to pull the heads anyway. I'm going to re-ring it and bearings also.
Since the heads are off, I'm going to use the thin head gaskets (why not)?
Since my current heads are open chamber with non hardened valve seats. I thought about putting on a set of 302s to raise the compression, and get the hardened seats.
I'm just trying to decide if the money spent on replacing the heads, will make enough of a difference to justify the cost.
Its just a driver (no track usage). more interested in improving low end and fuel mileage.
Do you think this is a wasted effort ?

Not to hijack, but was just kicking this around in my head on my .030" over 360 build. See no point in starting another thread to discuss basically the same question.

Wondering if I could get away with a calculated 9.15:1 static, 8:1 dynamic on 87 octane.

By swapping gaskets around I can go as low as 8.75:1 static / 7.63:1 dynamic. {.055"/4.180" FelPro} My combo is a '90 block with a small roller, 35* abdc at the recommended +3, 308 open chambers measured at 72cc's. Piston's a SpeedPro flat top w/two reliefs, .026" down.

Calculated cranking pressure at 9.15:1 is 160 psi at 3000ft, but I didn't play with the IC point to see what retarding the cam would do.

Running an AirGap and fresh air setup, should help lower tract temps a little, but the biggest drawback I have is the factory TBI's curve isn't adjustable, has no knock sensor, requires a 195 t-stat, and the aforementioned high temps in this area.
Motor's going in a 4.10 geared 5500lb 4x4 truck, sucks gas to the tune of about 11mpg, that hurts at the pump on 1000 mile trips. Trying to squeeze all the efficiency I can out of what I have. Hell, even 12mpg would help.

Pretty sure the answer is no to 9:1/87 octane, and a 1/4 point likely won't make much difference one way or the other, but thought I'd get you guys' opinions.

Since the heads are off...

While you've got the heads off, make sure you measure how far below deck the pistons are. That can vary a lot and has a big effect on CR.

You probably already know this, so I apologize if I'm pointing out something obvious.

While you've got the heads off, make sure you measure how far below deck the pistons are. That can vary a lot and has a big effect on CR.

You probably already know this, so I apologize if I'm pointing out something obvious.

Yeah , I'm at .048 in the hole.:sad3:

If all you do is bump compression one full point, you will see somewhere between 4-5%, depending on actual compression, before changing anything, if you do absolutely nothing else.

And no, if you paid any attention to what I said, none of it is crap.

I've tested gas stations for water content. Doesn't take a lab. Fill a can, pour some in a mason jar, seal it and shake the crap out of it, then watch it. You can see water separate, if the ground tanks are faulty.

I've seen the numbers in MPG increase, running mid grade over min. This is likely due to octane rating increase, allowing a better tune, combined with more consistent results coming from the stations. Water content doesn't change within the same gas station, just use a known, good gas station (test it yourself)

There is a difference between the capabilities of an engine that runs 8:1, against 9:1.

It just takes a minute to think about the change and how it will change the combustion.

Assuming you've done everything you can to the engine, at 8:1. Timing advanced as much as it can be, air to fuel ratios are sound, throttle positions are correct, etc... Now think about how that fuel is going to react under load, under 9:1 ratio, with absolutely no other changes to timing, fuel, etc.

If you've got the engine tuned so that 8:1 is pulling as much out of each cycle as it can get, there is no room for more advance in the combustion. Anything you do to that combustion is going to cause pre-detonation.

Can you tune a car to run on regular, at 9:1? Yes. It requires LESS timing, which will hurt performance and defeat the purpose of moving up in cylinder PSI.

When you change CR, you change how the engine deals with fuel. This changes the entire tune. Higher cylinder pressure will respond on a higher percentage level to all performance tuning.

No all have done is run numbers on a compression program (summit). My 273 had a blown leaking head gasket. So I had to pull the heads anyway. I'm going to re-ring it and bearings also.
Since the heads are off, I'm going to use the thin head gaskets (why not)?
Since my current heads are open chamber with non hardened valve seats. I thought about putting on a set of 302s to raise the compression, and get the hardened seats.
I'm just trying to decide if the money spent on replacing the heads, will make enough of a difference to justify the cost.
Its just a driver (no track usage). more interested in improving low end and fuel mileage.
Do you think this is a wasted effort ?

It's worth it, if not just for the hardened seats. They are induction hardened, so don't look for ductile iron seats on the exhaust. The entire combustion chamber is already there. The lack of pitting on the seats will tell you, on a used set that is in good shape.

Any increase in cylinder psi/ drop in cc is going to help the engine make more power, per cycle, increasing your potential fuel economy, as long as you tune it for better fuel, it will return the favor.

Not to hijack, but was just kicking this around in my head on my .030" over 360 build. See no point in starting another thread to discuss basically the same question.

Wondering if I could get away with a calculated 9.15:1 static, 8:1 dynamic on 87 octane.

By swapping gaskets around I can go as low as 8.75:1 static / 7.63:1 dynamic. {.055"/4.180" FelPro} My combo is a '90 block with a small roller, 35* abdc at the recommended +3, 308 open chambers measured at 72cc's. Piston's a SpeedPro flat top w/two reliefs, .026" down.

Calculated cranking pressure at 9.15:1 is 160 psi at 3000ft, but I didn't play with the IC point to see what retarding the cam would do.

Running an AirGap and fresh air setup, should help lower tract temps a little, but the biggest drawback I have is the factory TBI's curve isn't adjustable, has no knock sensor, requires a 195 t-stat, and the aforementioned high temps in this area.
Motor's going in a 4.10 geared 5500lb 4x4 truck, sucks gas to the tune of about 11mpg, that hurts at the pump on 1000 mile trips. Trying to squeeze all the efficiency I can out of what I have. Hell, even 12mpg would help.

Pretty sure the answer is no to 9:1/87 octane, and a 1/4 point likely won't make much difference one way or the other, but thought I'd get you guys' opinions.

If your dynamic is down at 8:1, 87 being min-rating octane (I would assume) in your area, I think you are asking for it with that vehicle.

I thought I wanted min octane (85 up here), until I started toying with mid-grade and higher fuels and saw results. Even if it's a wash in dollar per mile, you'll find more consistent results at stations. In my experience, less water in the tanks, too.

If your TBI corrects from o2, you might actually see more out of mid-grade than my carbed engine would.

I'd play with some mid-grade on that engine to see what it does and stick with something that will work on 87 with the build.

It would be nice to hear from someone else running TBI. On the Toyota truck with port injection I saw results in, it went from 20-22mpg, by just changing fuels, on 8.7:1 CR.

I have exactly the same question. Cast iron heads, no quench.

Min octane sucks for everything, if you're willing to tune. I promise.

There are guys fetching awesome MPG in big block cars on the HotRod Pro Tour, with O/D, running premium, because they dial their engines and set the car up right.

-
Back