Compression

-
You have to think about it the other way around, compression selection is an output based on the other choices you have made in the build, as @AJ/FormS was eluding to. You need to make sure you have a cam with enough duration (which is actually where your RPM HorsePower increase comes from) to keep the cylinder PSI to a reasonable level. What the compression really does (as @Bewy said above) going between 9 and 11 with a long duration cam is keep the cylinder pressures up near optimal so you don't loose low RPM torque. If you put a long duration cam in without increasing compression the cylinder pressure drops off and you may gain if you are running it at high RPM all the time (like at the track) but once you get back on the street you have lost a lot of low end torque because the cylinder pressures are so low. It is a delicate balance that you have to design depending on what you are after.

I wonder if some of you guys mighta dropped the ball on this one.
How many 9.5 engines can you actually jump to 11.5
"with no other changes"?
I know OP didn't say, but if an SBM,
11.5 has the potential to quickly run the pressure up near to 200 psi;
Which I have run BTW, and it was fantastic!
Ima thinking 33IMP/ post #6, hit pretty close to home.
Ima thinking the 9.5 engine would have, had to have been, a less than exciting build to start with.
Nobody dropped any balls, because the OP dropped exactly -0- info on the proposed subject engine, I summed up the spectrum pretty much on the nuggets in post #19. If We are going to play 'Mystery Engine Theater 2024', the balls are going to stay in the air, & there will be no accurate/specific advice/opinion possible.

I wonder if some of you guys mighta dropped the ball on this one.
How many 9.5 engines can you actually jump to 11.5
"with no other changes"?
I know OP didn't say, but if an SBM,
11.5 has the potential to quickly run the pressure up near to 200 psi;
Which I have run BTW, and it was fantastic!
Ima thinking 33IMP/ post #6, hit pretty close to home.
Ima thinking the 9.5 engine would have, had to have been, a less than exciting build to start with.
Love the post but the OP asked a general question and got a general answer. It’s all theoretical. All from a bunch of points of view. @33IMP gave a sharp answer.

To address your question, “What engine can go from a 9-1 to a 11-1 ratio”, probably none in an afternoon. Unless you’re using the crazy thick MP head shim and two gaskets. But working with that, it’s an interesting thought on what happens.

Let’s take a typical zero deck piston in a 360 and use a .028 head gasket. Then use the old MP head shim designed to drop the high ratio engines for pump gas with 2, .050 Fel-Pro’s. One on each side of the .100 shim.That’s equal to a total of .200 extra space or just like dropping a piston down .200. That ought to do it?
Just enter in the cylinder head cc amount of 72, or whatever… & the diameter of the shim I can’t not remember but let’s make all of the diameters 4.185 just to keep it even and easy.
I didn’t run the numbers but it sounds like a 12.5 went to 7.8-1.
:rofl:

While a 9.0-1 ratio doesn’t create excitement with most of the performance enthusiasts, I well running and decent power maker it still can be. In my head, I’m thinking of something like a 5.9 Magnum.

I currently have an 11.3-1 - 360 and yea! Very nice and responsive. It’ll work with most any sizable cam. That ratio keeps the efficiency up very well. A 9.0-1, not so much with a sizable cam. This is where it’s all about & the problem incured with cam changes.

While in in general question has a lot of holes to wonder about, it leaves it open for an interesting discussion. One of the missing points is what cam is in the engine now, to how much larger will be out in on what compression ratio it is at now vs a change or 2 points higher.

We could have a thought process of one thinking the start engine is a smog 360, 5.9, zero deck 360, domed slug 360 for 12-1.
The move onto various cams from a very mild Comp 268H to a might rustyratrod “.750 roller!”

The effects of this would be tons of money on the dyno so please everyone, pray that I win lotto!!!!! I’ll be testing!
:thumbsup:

Yes, it was a hypothetical question me and a guy at work were discussing if the cam and heads could support it
I love these discussions at work. (When I was working)
No matter who was involved, car guys, racers or the fellas that only knew just a little bit.

That and the older guys or the fellas that knew the really old and semi old stuff with there pop quiz’s with hard or obscure questions. Fun times- fun times!!!

What you and your work fellas should understand is cam and compression ratio work hand in hand for best performance. I could take a whopping huge roller racing cam and install it in a low ratio smog engine (making sure everything clears of course) and run, drive, use the engine no problem outside of probable driving, idling issues. But the efficiency of the package is down in a really big way. The cam is huge and the dynamic compression ratio is garbage. The two have to be balanced as well as possible and there’s even wiggle room there.

On cylinder heads, the match is more of what the power output will produce. An excellent example of a sizable cam and a stock head is a FAST engine. Within the rules, there limited to a stock head and while there ported, they only port out so well for only so much flow. You could swap out the head and intake for a wild W9 or Victor head and pick up well over 100hp?

But the FAST package still runs some exciting numbers. The cam/cylinder head match was thinking is a myth I think people have created in a certain line of thinking. FAST engines defeat the myth in a way because there running really good.

Think of the cylinder head as not a component to match to stuff but an item to maximize breathing and cylinder head airflow for maximum performance. No matter what head you’re using, it will only release so much power due to its limitations of airflow. A good example of this can be seen on various episodes of engine masters. In one of the early episodes in season, one or two, they ported out a set of standard Edelbrock heads, and dyno the stock port versus the ported Edelbrock heads on a 408 Mopar stroker. It was a 92 hp gain if I remember correctly.

This shows the power release of a better flowing head. It’s not matching the head to the cam, it’s allowing the engine to breathe better. I have not seen a cylinder ahead on an engine, big enough to destroy power, however, it’s more of where the powers made, and how well it reacts in the vehicle, which is the real key, isn’t it?

I suppose if you took a ported W9 head and single plane intake and used it on a 7-1 318, there would be a lower loss. But this is an extreme and ridiculous route.

That’s why I said I haven’t seen a cylinder head on an engine to big and destroy or wreck power.

Freiburger attempted this with various cylinder heads and a small cam on a Ford small block, but as he stated - being the engine is a stroker @ 408…. Perhaps the CID should have been a 302 for that test?

Last edited:
so you don't loose low RPM torque.
But is that really the goal, obviously we want good low rpm torque, but is there an unacceptable and or a non functional amount of low torque ?

If there is wouldn't a stock 170 /6 be around there already and a 440+ not be able to get there at all?

I think we mistaken the low rpm range certain overlaps don't like to run at as a torque issue?

All I know is this:
I ran a 11 to 1 small block flat top zero deck on california pump 91, and it ran very well. Aluminum heads, good quench, and a 265 at .050 solid roller in a 2300 lb car meant I could get away with that.
I also ran a 10 1/2 to 1 440 with iron heads on california pump 91, but timing was critical. It has a 255 at .050 solid flat, weighs 3300, and is a LOT happier with a 2 to one mix of 91 and 100LL.

All I know is this:
I ran a 11 to 1 small block flat top zero deck on california pump 91, and it ran very well. Aluminum heads, good quench, and a 265 at .050 solid roller in a 2300 lb car meant I could get away with that.
I also ran a 10 1/2 to 1 440 with iron heads on california pump 91, but timing was critical. It has a 255 at .050 solid flat, weighs 3300, and is a LOT happier with a 2 to one mix of 91 and 100LL.
That’s a great demonstration of how weight affects the engine and how, as you said, timing is critical. I see a 1/2 point lower compression 10* in cam duration @.050 and an added 1,000lbs. is where the boarder line is approached in this particular case.

A case can be also made on the cylinder head chamber shape/design & quench.

Think of the cylinder head as not a component to match to stuff but an item to maximize breathing and cylinder head airflow for maximum performance. No matter what head you’re using, it will only release so much power due to its limitations of airflow.
From what I understand max effort 2.5 hp per cfm is attainable. I've noticed most around 10.5:1 cr 245 ish cammed type engines get around 1.8 hp per cfm.

A good example of this can be seen on various episodes of engine masters. In one of the early episodes in season, one or two, they ported out a set of standard Edelbrock heads, and dyno the stock port versus the ported Edelbrock heads on a 408 Mopar stroker. It was a 92 hp gain if I remember correctly.

This shows the power release of a better flowing head. It’s not matching the head to the cam, it’s allowing the engine to breathe better.
When you look at a program like pipe max for eg.. 6500 rpm 408 it gives a fairly wide range of cross section that's work not as narrow as some make it seem in the velocity above all camp there are upper and lower limits shouldn't go beyond cause air speed gets to fast or slow. To me heads set the stage to available power, cam is a major the deciding factory what hp per cfm were talking about, obviously cr intake exhaust etc.. also factor in. And displacement and efficiency has a big role in where the powerband takes part, obviously everything else contributes to that efficiency.
I have not seen a cylinder ahead on an engine, big enough to destroy power, however, it’s more of where the powers made, and how well it reacts in the vehicle, which is the real key, isn’t it?

I suppose if you took a ported W9 head and single plane intake and used it on a 7-1 318, there would be a lower loss. But this is an extreme and ridiculous route.

That’s why I said I haven’t seen a cylinder head on an engine to big and destroy or wreck power.

Freiburger attempted this with various cylinder heads and a small cam on a Ford small block, but as he stated - being the engine is a stroker @ 408…. Perhaps the CID should have been a 302 for that test?
Agree, might show up sooner as a drive ability issue before a power one. I think making power with too much cam is gonna be more of a drive ability issue than port size. And were pretty limited on head choice anyways leaving most with the option close enough especially when you factor in cost

That’s a great demonstration of how weight affects the engine and how, as you said, timing is critical. I see a 1/2 point lower compression 10* in cam duration @.050 and an added 1,000lbs. is where the boarder line is approached in this particular case.

A case can be also made on the cylinder head chamber shape/design & quench.
You zeroed in on a big part of the difference in the two combos too. Aluminum heads with a (sort-of) modern chamber, and quench.
The 440 has a 70 year old chamber, piston down the hole a bit, NO quench, and a small dome. It SHOULDNT work on pump gas. Big gear (has had 4.56, 4.11, and 3.91) and a 4500 converter helps.
A typical 225 at .050, 3800 lb 3,23 street combo, would be a disaster at 10.5.

From what I understand max effort 2.5 hp per cfm is attainable.
IDK about this. While I have read a few things on this topic, I don’t bother to retain it since I’ll not be going there.

I've noticed most around 10.5:1 cr 245 ish cammed type engines get around 1.8 hp per cfm.
In the area, yea, that’s about right and a good average number to use.

When you look at a program like pipe max for eg.. 6500 rpm 408 it gives a fairly wide range of cross section that's work not as narrow as some make it seem in the velocity above all camp there are upper and lower limits shouldn't go beyond cause air speed gets to fast or slow.

Yes! This is what I discovered years back. There is that thinking split, that I don’t argue with because at a certain point, if the head is to large but yet still makes the power, I don’t think it’s a driver in most anyway one would think of but more of a narrow range build designed for 1 thing rather than all things or a small amount of flexable things.

So, depending on what you’re after….. someone’s wrong!

To me heads set the stage to available (POSSIBLE) power,
Fixed LOL
cam is a major the deciding factory what hp per cfm were talking about, obviously cr intake exhaust etc.. also factor in. And displacement and efficiency has a big role in where the powerband takes part, obviously everything else contributes to that efficiency.
Yep
Agree, might show up sooner as a drive ability issue before a power one.
Agreed
I think making power with too much cam is gonna be more of a drive ability issue than port size.
Possible. Enter in the rest of the package….
And were pretty limited on head choice anyways leaving most with the option close enough especially when you factor in cost

Yeeeeeeaaa, cost aside…. The sbm head market could use a few extra choices. I don’t think it’s bad. I’m not aware of a max output W9 engines potential or what has been achieved already.

I’ve seen Brett M’s 1,000+ dyno pulls. I’m not always aware of there CID though.

Aside from throwing money out the window without care or concern of how much is flying out the window. 99.9% here are limited budgets and most are flexable builds. - AKA - Strett Strip & at most.

A 360 @ 1.8 = 640+ HP, that’s a bit optimistic for most people and land in a strip build, not that it isn’t drivable in the street, though that depends on who you are and willing to tolerate.

Since a buck has to do with the cam size needed to achieve such levels, it’s probably going to be a bit much for the average fella here. I’m not even that big of a fan of a Hyd. @ 248@050 for an everyday driver. Power wise, with ported 2.02 J heads, it was a fun ripper in the street. I wasn’t a fan of it everyday commuting in and out of NYC on a 80 mile round trip through bumper to bumper traffic and a heavy MP clutch. No Sir, No Fun.
Kate night in the back alley industrial parks, whooo, thumbs up baby!

This head/cam/power part of this thread is fine and the compression needed to effectively run a whatever size cam is good but may get carried away in a weird direction. (AKA-Race)

I think the bases are well covered here. AJ, 33IMP, etc… have really good posts and examples.

IMO, bringing up what is possible in head flow and stating that 1.8 is what you see on a 10-1/10.5-1 engine to me means the cylinder head is letting a big cam work to its best and it pushes the thread into racing talk. (Again!)

It bothers me that you bring it up so nonchalantly as if it’s done all the time with ease. You’re often pointing your finger to a video as proof. This is not the everyday engine build or occurrence. It’s actually a high goal to achieve 650hp on a 10-1 engine. This is not everyone’s desire or goal.

When you get there, I look forward to your build though.

Were you planning on anything unusual? Or odd?
Lightened cranks, over a 416 stroker or greater than a 4.00 like a 4.18 crank stroke?
Race block or stock block?

You zeroed in on a big part of the difference in the two combos too. Aluminum heads with a (sort-of) modern chamber, and quench.
The 440 has a 70 year old chamber, piston down the hole a bit, NO quench, and a small dome. It SHOULDNT work on pump gas. Big gear (has had 4.56, 4.11, and 3.91) and a 4500 converter helps.
A typical 225 at .050, 3800 lb 3,23 street combo, would be a disaster at 10.5.
Thanks and yea that’s a BINGO on many fronts people miss or forget about. Sometimes the balance of the parts can be loose and sometimes there going to be tight and bad at a minor thing you would t think about. How about the things that pop surprise you?

For me, waaaay back when, I was swapping iron for aluminum heads and the thick gasket got trashed by accident and I had to use a thin gasket. I was nervous about running the slug to head at (IIRC) .028 instead of the .050 gasket on a zero deck closed chambered head. I said screw it, ran it, loved it! Later when I took the engine apart, the quenched area was whistle clean.

One member here I expressed concerns with a zero deck 360 TF headed engine and a cam I thought was going to be to smal. He shook his head and said “Sont worry about it, your good to go, all day long! No worries!”

Thanks Keith!!!! @68cuda408

Yea man! It’s a go and go it does very well.

IDK about this. While I have read a few things on this topic, I don’t bother to retain it since I’ll not be going there.

In the area, yea, that’s about right and a good average number to use.

Yes! This is what I discovered years back. There is that thinking split, that I don’t argue with because at a certain point, if the head is to large but yet still makes the power, I don’t think it’s a driver in most anyway one would think of but more of a narrow range build designed for 1 thing rather than all things or a small amount of flexable things.

So, depending on what you’re after….. someone’s wrong!

Fixed LOL

Yep

Agreed

Possible. Enter in the rest of the package….

Yeeeeeeaaa, cost aside…. The sbm head market could use a few extra choices. I don’t think it’s bad. I’m not aware of a max output W9 engines potential or what has been achieved already.

I’ve seen Brett M’s 1,000+ dyno pulls. I’m not always aware of there CID though.

Aside from throwing money out the window without care or concern of how much is flying out the window. 99.9% here are limited budgets and most are flexable builds. - AKA - Strett Strip & at most.

A 360 @ 1.8 = 640+ HP, that’s a bit optimistic for most people and land in a strip build, not that it isn’t drivable in the street, though that depends on who you are and willing to tolerate.

Since a buck has to do with the cam size needed to achieve such levels, it’s probably going to be a bit much for the average fella here. I’m not even that big of a fan of a Hyd. @ 248@050 for an everyday driver. Power wise, with ported 2.02 J heads, it was a fun ripper in the street. I wasn’t a fan of it everyday commuting in and out of NYC on a 80 mile round trip through bumper to bumper traffic and a heavy MP clutch. No Sir, No Fun.
Kate night in the back alley industrial parks, whooo, thumbs up baby!

This head/cam/power part of this thread is fine and the compression needed to effectively run a whatever size cam is good but may get carried away in a weird direction. (AKA-Race)

I think the bases are well covered here. AJ, 33IMP, etc… have really good posts and examples.

IMO, bringing up what is possible in head flow and stating that 1.8 is what you see on a 10-1/10.5-1 engine to me means the cylinder head is letting a big cam work to its best and it pushes the thread into racing talk. (Again!)

It bothers me that you bring it up so nonchalantly as if it’s done all the time with ease. You’re often pointing your finger to a video as proof. This is not the everyday engine build or occurrence. It’s actually a high goal to achieve 650hp on a 10-1 engine. This is not everyone’s desire or goal.

Lightened cranks, over a 416 stroker or greater than a 4.00 like a 4.18 crank stroke?
I meant an average of 1.8 hp per cfm, Eg.. a set of sbm trick flows heads seem to generally fall in low to high 500 hp so 1.7- 1.9 hp per cfm, I'm imagine some more race oriented setups getting the 2+hp per cfm out them. Same with other heads and combos from what I've observed so far.

So I guess point is (if I had one :) ) if something like 2.5 hp per cfm is max effort and 2 isn't seen too often on a street type engine and a low non performance stock type engine is probably at least 1 hp per cfm and a decent street strip engine is around 1.7 to 1.9. Guess leaves 1.1 to 1.6 hp per cfm for general average performance street type engines.

Last edited:
I meant an average of 1.8 hp per cfm, Eg.. a set of sbm trick flows heads seem to generally fall in low to high 500 hp so 1.7- 1.9 hp per cfm, I'm imagine some more race oriented setups getting the 2+hp per cfm out them. Same with other heads and combos from what I've observed so far.
You surf YouTube a lot to find stuff. If I get this correct, your finding TF builds on line that mostly fall into the 1.8 average output. That’s 648hp.

This is correct?

The average article and YouTube poster is making 648hp with a few making more, a few making less.
Correct?

So I guess point is (if I had one :) ) if something like 2.5 hp per cfm is max effort and 2 isn't seen too often on a street type engine and a low non performance stock type engine is probably at least 1 hp per cfm and a decent street strip engine is around 1.7 to 1.9.
I’m stopping you right here. A decent street strip engine in this case using a 360 engine is between (1.7) 612hp & (1.9) 684hp. While using TF heads.

Interesting. I think, I could be wrong though, but, you just insulted a lot of people here with those numbers. I’m not an100% sure about that. Sounds poll worthy to me. Results would be interesting.
Guess leaves 1.1 to 1.6 hp per cfm for general average performance street type engines.
1.1 X 360 = 394 HP
1.6 X 360 = 576hp

Hummmm, yea I guess. I really don’t know. It may be a point of view, but I don’t see a 576hp engine as being average. It might be. IDK what’s out there.

I meant an average of 1.8 hp per cfm, Eg.. a set of sbm trick flows heads

So I guess point is (if I had one :) ) if something like 2.5 hp per cfm is max effort and 2 isn't seen too often on a street

Sorry, the point of being up a 1.8, 2.0 & a 2.5 output power build was what again?

Again…..

(Aren’t you planning a build?)

You surf YouTube a lot to find stuff. If I get this correct, your finding TF builds on line that mostly fall into the 1.8 average output. That’s 648hp.

This is correct?

The average article and YouTube poster is making 648hp with a few making more, a few making less.
Correct?

I’m stopping you right here. A decent street strip engine in this case using a 360 engine is between (1.7) 612hp & (1.9) 684hp. While using TF heads.

Interesting. I think, I could be wrong though, but, you just insulted a lot of people here with those numbers. I’m not an100% sure about that. Sounds poll worthy to me. Results would be interesting.

1.1 X 360 = 394 HP
1.6 X 360 = 576hp

Hummmm, yea I guess. I really don’t know. It may be a point of view, but I don’t see a 576hp engine as being average. It might be. IDK what’s out there.
I'm saying CFM so 1.8 x 300 cfm = 540 hp average for trick flows.

Think of the cylinder head as not a component to match to stuff but an item to maximize breathing and cylinder head airflow for maximum performance. No matter what head you’re using, it will only release so much power due to its limitations of airflow.
This the original statement I was responding to, I'm saying hp per cfm :)

Glad your on the compression topic

And I’m moving along folks……

Glad your on the compression topic

And I’m moving along folks……
Talking about CR I wondering your thoughts on this, a point I made in post #31, that keeps come back to me when I see conversations about cams cr and low end torque and it's hard to find a lot of dyno evidence in the 1500-2500 rpm range, but something doesn't add up to me.

I'm not really seeing the lack of torque in what dyno evidence I can find.
Like obviously bigger cams give up low end torque and lower cr gives up torque everywhere, but engines only seem like they can only go so low in torque (per cid) even at lower rpms like 1500-2500 rpms.

Guess question is there a minimal and or a non functional torque level around 1500-2500 rpm? guess it would be higher rpms for real big race cams. It just seem like were talking more about a cam with overlap not like operating at X rpm not necessarily the torque amount.

Eg. Cause even a 440 with very weak low end cause of big cam and low cr probably gonna have more torque than a /6 still. A stock /6 don't need a lot of gear and stall to function normally :) and a big cammed 440 even with enough cr still gonna require a stall.

As I understood it, practical maximum power is 2 hp per cfm. (not 2.5).
2 hp per cfm is supposed to a reasonably attainable power level, I see most street strip fall slightly short (1.7-1.9) on this rule of thumb.

One engine I do see reach 2 hp is the 5.9l create engine dynos 400-410 hp on 200-210 cfm, 2.5 would be 500-525 hp how much cam and cr etc.. would you need to add to get there ? :)

Last edited:
I also think Bewy's earlier assessment was correct. In that going from say 10:1 to 12:1 would have less of an effect on power than say going from 7.5 to 9.5 or 10:1. But I'm just saying that as a guess, since I don't have a dyno shoved in the corner of my shop.

-
Back