Computer OS advice/help

-

rtee007

Deplorable Texan
Reaction score
I had to buy the woman another HP laptop as hers finally bellied up after 10 years. The MB took a crap.
So I found a de-branded HP machine and bought it. It has no OS. Tried to load a copy of XP Pro on it but no go. I know it is probably too old and the HDD doesn't like it.#-o
So, my dilemma is what to do next. Bite the bullet and get a new OS disc or..........ideas from you all appreciated.
The old HDD from the other notebook is good, but I don't know if I can just swap it in the new one. It does not go in as easy as it comes out of the old HP notebook....searching for answers

XP is no longer supported.
Get Windows 7 on a newer one if what you have won't run it.
That even has a limited life now with support but I haven't heard good about Windows 8..
Check Ebag for used one on the cheap.
I like the IBM Lenovo's that have come off lease and are refurbished.
Solid laptops.

No refund on this machine, only exchange for same model.:banghead:

XP is no longer supported.
Get Windows 7 on a newer one if what you have won't run it.
That even has a limited life now with support but I haven't heard good about Windows 8..
Check Ebag for used one on the cheap.
I like the IBM Lenovo's that have come off lease and are refurbished.
Solid laptops.

That should handle XP. What is it telling you.

Maybe Greg will stumble by and offer up some advice here. :D

You got ripped off. For that kind of money you can buy a perfectly usable new or used machine WITH a legit copy of the OS

I recently bought a Dell multi core (i5?) I forget with Winhozed 7 on it for 200 bucks. This was used off Craigslist. You cannot hardly buy a legit copy of W7 so far as I know, for that.

Normally these types of machines have a reinstall setup on a separate partition so you can refresh the HD drive to "just like" it came out of the box. Normally these also have software pre-installed so you can BURN a set of "restore" CD/ DVDs

Trying to use Xtra Putrid is silly. It's not supported, and won't be very long before stuff like Firefox, most any software, and even anti virus won't work on XP

You need Winhoared 7 or "cough gag" Whinehozed ate

I use Linux Mint. It's free.

If you can return that and trade for something that works, I would

I cannot think of a single reason why someone would "debrand" a computer. The computer manufacturer PAID Microcrap for a license for whatever was on that machine. It should have had a W7 or whatever, sticker on the machine. (LOOK, does it? If so you can easily download and install W7)

No refund on this machine, only exchange for same model.

So I am stuck with it. I have to make the best of it and it looks like I will just have to a find and buy a Win 7 CD, I see them on Ebay w/COA. It has nothing on the HDD, it is a clean 750GB drive.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-SP1-64bit-1-User-GFC-02050-/201153363118?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item2ed5acbcae"]Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit 1 User GFC 02050 885370258509 | eBay[/ame]

You got ripped off. For that kind of money you can buy a perfectly usable new or used machine WITH a legit copy of the OS

I recently bought a Dell multi core (i5?) I forget with Winhozed 7 on it for 200 bucks. This was used off Craigslist. You cannot hardly buy a legit copy of W7 so far as I know, for that.

Normally these types of machines have a reinstall setup on a separate partition so you can refresh the HD drive to "just like" it came out of the box. Normally these also have software pre-installed so you can BURN a set of "restore" CD/ DVDs

Trying to use Xtra Putrid is silly. It's not supported, and won't be very long before stuff like Firefox, most any software, and even anti virus won't work on XP

You need Winhoared 7 or "cough gag" Whinehozed ate

I use Linux Mint. It's free.

If you can return that and trade for something that works, I would

I cannot think of a single reason why someone would "debrand" a computer. The computer manufacturer PAID Microcrap for a license for whatever was on that machine. It should have had a W7 or whatever, sticker on the machine. (LOOK, does it? If so you can easily download and install W7)

Been using if for several years now...was using Ubuntu..but they went crazy with their desktop...Mint 17 Mate is simple...has a very simple desktop

go to Youtube...they are alot of videos they that will show it to you.....simple download and burn the image to a dvd...

use a torrent speed up download....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMHjUqRfmC8"]Linux Mint 17 Mate - Magnificent Mint - YouTube[/ame]

Qiana Cinnamon is what I am DL'n

Been using if for several years now...was using Ubuntu..but they went crazy with their desktop...Mint 17 Mate is simple...has a very simple desktop

go to Youtube...they are alot of videos they that will show it to you.....simple download and burn the image to a dvd...

use a torrent speed up download....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMHjUqRfmC8

nice thing about Linux...you can run it off the dvd with out installing....try it out....

"No bootable device----insert boot disc and press any key"

"Media test failure......check cable"

I have changed the boot sequence to boot from cd-rom drive....nothing but this message.

Had another CD in there earlier and it was being read so I don't understand this error.

Cinnamon is a fanciers...lol

You have another machine? where you can test the download for bootup? You DID burn it "as an ISO" and not just copy the file to the DVD?

As said above you can boot the DVD up from a cold start and (even though slow,) RUN the software "similar" to what you will see when running. You should be able to connect to the internet, etc, if the wireless device is "seen."

Linux has become pretty easy. Mine is called the "Maya" desktop, I think I saw "Cinnamon" above, I kinda like it too. I run what they call the "long term support" version. So my desktop is called "Mate" and the version of the OS is 13, known as "Maya." Confused? So are the rest of us. No idea where "the thems" get the stupid names LOL

I just DL the Linux file and then drug it to the DVD-R drive..... #-o
I see the Linux file listed as ISO on the DVD, but I can't open that folder. Or at least the computer cannot.

Test for boot up.....I have my laptop, will I have to change the bios to boot from CD ROM?

I will probably check this after work tomorrow, thanks for you time

You have another machine? where you can test the download for bootup? You DID burn it "as an ISO" and not just copy the file to the DVD?

As said above you can boot the DVD up from a cold start and (even though slow,) RUN the software "similar" to what you will see when running. You should be able to connect to the internet, etc, if the wireless device is "seen."

Linux has become pretty easy. Mine is called the "Maya" desktop, I think I saw "Cinnamon" above, I kinda like it too. I run what they call the "long term support" version. So my desktop is called "Mate" and the version of the OS is 13, known as "Maya." Confused? So are the rest of us. No idea where "the thems" get the stupid names LOL

-
Back