Con rod cap oil holes...

-

Nitro Will

Reaction score
Doing up a 360 with new Eagle I beam rods. Noticed there's not any oil holes on the caps. The motors doing street/strip duties. Should I notch holes in the caps considering street use?

Thanks....

dsc04918-b2-jpg.jpg

Shouldn't hurt a thing. The factory holes squirted oil on the piston skirts. (supposedly)

I just assembled my 360 and wondered about that. My rods have the notch in them but the clevite bearings don't have a hole to allow oil to pass. The OEM bearings had a hole to allow the oil out.

I have heard both ways. I always put the lube holes in my engines but some people don't. I have cut the slots in aftermarket rods too. I figure the factory did it for a reason and they are smarter than me.

All the aftermarket rods H beam or I beam do not have oil holes.

I do believe that plenty of oil will come out the side clearance on the rods and be flung up on the walls. I personally would not notch the aftermarket rods due to this.

FWIW, the factory actually eliminated the squirt holes on the/6 rods in later production, which were ostensibly used to spit oil on the cam, and never had anything to oil the cylinder walls besides splash and the oil from the rod sides, IIRC.

When an engine is running, the oil mist is sufficient. That's all that most two strokes ever had.

The oil holes are for lubrication during extended idling. I.e. taxicab duty, when the crank and rods aren't throwing oil everywhere. You building a cab?

-
Back