Cone VS Clutch?

Which is better Cone or Clutch for the street?

• Cone type

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • Clutch type

Votes: 99 84.6%

• Total voters
-

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
Which is the best for a pretty pure street build with a mild 360/904 with a reverse manual valve body and an 8 3/4? I see people knocking cones and everyone seems to go clutch. Im wondering whats the issues that comes with each unit and if you can switch done the road from one unit to another

This is just for future reference. Not much of a rear-end guru here and I'd like to know for down the line

cone types are good for round town slippery tire cars, but when you go to the strip with slicks and hook all that power up...the cone go's away.

The clutch type is the better when it comes down to it.

Clutches are easily rebuildable whereas the cone type usually requires machine work where the cone dug into the retainer. Hands down, clutch.

Since you said "street", I would have to say they are both good. A new Auburn type cone will likely go a good 100,000 miles. Clutch type are rebuildable, but I've never had to do one. I've had both, NEVER a problem with either....they are MOPAR afterall.

Which is the best....................

BEST would be a detroit locker. Since you didn't include that in your question, the clutch type.....specifically the Dana Power Lock is the better of the two. The cone type can be restored to working condition......but it is not an accepted repair method. The cone type as Justin said is a very light duty limited slip. They have their place in a stock application that will never see tire spin, but to ask much more of them is a stretch.

Which is the best for a pretty pure street build with a mild 360/904 with a reverse manual valve body and an 8 3/4? I see people knocking cones and everyone seems to go clutch. Im wondering whats the issues that comes with each unit and if you can switch done the road from one unit to another

This is just for future reference. Not much of a rear-end guru here and I'd like to know for down the line
I don't think it matters. You won't have enough power to spin a tire anyway. Didn't mean to bust your bubble. LOL Steve

I don't think it matters. You won't have enough power to spin a tire anyway. Didn't mean to bust your bubble. LOL Steve

Oh but he will. That's my department.

LOL that was just mean.

I pounded the crap out of a cone, and never had it fail. (I pounded on a few clutch type too, same result)

I had a auburn"pro series" and ran it in my mild 360 street racing dart which I typically ran a bottle of nitrous thru every sat night. the POS cone posi lasted 9 months. Go with the clutch,do not spend the money on the auburn.

I had a auburn"pro series" and ran it in my mild 360 street racing dart which I typically ran a bottle of nitrous thru every sat night. the POS cone posi lasted 9 months. Go with the clutch,do not spend the money on the auburn.
This young fellow is on a shoestring budget like a lot of us were. He's not running nitrous, and I hope he will NOT be street racing. If a clutch type is out of his budget for now, don't dissuade him away from a cone. When used and maintained properly, they are just fine.

I do like my tires smoked... I am not much into the street racing scene. Neat on the street, mean at the track. The plan with the car is to build it to handle curves. Though it may see the drag strip a few times.

Your all absolutely right, Cone type are junk. And that is why I will do you'll a favor. Send me all of those POS Cone types. Hell I'll even pay the shipping!

I do like my tires smoked... I am not much into the street racing scene. Neat on the street, mean at the track. The plan with the car is to build it to handle curves. Though it may see the drag strip a few times.
Well, since you've changed your intentions, maybe the clutch will be more appropriate. Though I still think the cone is a decent enough piece for a street cruiser.

Well, since you've changed your intentions, maybe the clutch will be more appropriate. Though I still think the cone is a decent enough piece for a street cruiser.
The streets in my area are pretty damn curvy and also, Road Atlanta and Lanier Speedway are not even 10 miles from me. 8). Sorry, I should not have said "pretty pure street". More like a goodbit street. It will spend most of its time on the street.

I was on a budget too, had a junkyard 360 with eddy 318/360 and a 268 comp cam and a $125 3.91 clutch suregrip. OK just dated myself but when you are making 4.50 an hour a buck and a quarter aint easy to come up with. Bought a cheap NOS kit and some 235/60/15 bfg drag radials and spanked most of what came around would make a 250 mile road trip with no problem. Spend your money wisely but I would scrounge the boneyards for an old imperial thats where I got my last one.You have three pullaparts well within driving distance of you. But if you get a cone I will machine the cones for you and can probably find you some shims.I am only about 2 hours west of you.

I have seven years, 25,000 miles and hundreds of passes on my Auburn cone LSD in a lowly 741 case. It's holding up on a 3700 pound car with drag radials and a 100 HP squirt. Granted its only seeing 430 HP on a 12 second car but it works for this application.

The cones are easier/cheaper to come by and should be fine for your application.Just keep looking for the almighty clutch type,for when the cone craps out.If it ever does?I have an Auburn cone-type in my 73 D.S running 450hp and a 4 speed with no problems.8)

I was pulling 50-75 races a night for 9 months with 125 shot of spray.Laid on it off the line and held the button til i got out of the gas. I'm just giving my personal experience, I won't buy auburn again. Feel free to buy from who you want. Maybe I just got a bad one? Doubt it, but yall have changed my mind definitely go with a cone. They are bulletproof!

I was pulling 50-75 races a night for 9 months with 125 shot of spray.Laid on it off the line and held the button til i got out of the gas. I'm just giving my personal experience, I won't buy auburn again. Feel free to buy from who you want. Maybe I just got a bad one? Doubt it, but yall have changed my mind definitely go with a cone. They are bulletproof!

There ain't no rear end that will take 50 -75 races a night:bootysha:.
Glad we could change your mind for ya:cheers:

-
Back