confessions of problems i have with the dart

-

mopower440

Reaction score
Several years ago i spent all of my time and all of my money, what little i had, to build my 440 dart, and dont get me wrong, i love my dart! BUT there is 2 things that really bother me about it and due to those 2 things, i have neglected it for a few years..Its just been stashed in the garage and every now and then i fire it up and maybe run it down the road. I know i will probably be cursed when i state why but i cant help some of it. The 2 things that bother me is 1.) drum brakes all the way around and 2.) I can NOT stand the small tires in the back, it dorives me nuts!! As far as the brakes go, i can and will get off my but and fix that problem soon hopefully. Several years ago i bought a real nice kelsey hayes disc setup ready to bolt on...i just need to do it! The problem with the small rear wheel/tire combo is a different story though.. I want some meat under the back end but there is no room and i can NOT weld and even if i could, i dont have a clue on mini tubbing and all that. I dont know anyone in the area that would know how to fix the rear end up to take a bigger tire combo.. I know it sounds stupid but to me, it doesnt look good and it definately doesnt hook up! I got friends that want me to take it to the track with them and run it down the strip but i wont even drive it around much as it is with the little tires and wheels. Its got the factory 14 inch ralley wheels and 245/60/14 tires on the rear. some say it looks fine, some agree with me..I dont care, it bugs the crap out of me..anyone in the middle TN. area know how to fix up the wheel wells and spring mounts in the back of an A-body and want the job? I have been itching to start messing with the car again. Heres a quick video of it...

You need a little change of mind.

Sounds great!!! and you should not be displeased! If the brakes are in good working order then don't sweat that. The tire size would be better at 15" depending on gearing and more, but what rubber is on them now! That may be you cheaper quick look! I would be driving with tire smoke and smiling!

A set of DOT drag radials will make a big difference.

Last edited:
For really wide tires, yes, an onboard spring kit with mini tubes will allow a whole lotta tire. Otherwise, you can still get a decent amount of rubber in the wheel well. A taller tire would also help a lot.

1.) drum brakes all the way around and 2.) I can NOT stand the small tires in the back, it dorives me nuts!! As far as the brakes go, i can and will get off my but and fix that problem soon hopefully. Several years ago i bought a real nice kelsey hayes disc setup ready to bolt on...i just need to do it!

best bet is to go with a 73-up disc brake set up which will give ya large bolt pattern, then swap the rear to large bolt pattern...

it will open you up to a lot more wheel choices... with the proper width and backspace you should be able to get a decent size tire under that thing...

Change to big bolt on the back for sure and if you have some money put in a RMS street Lynx rear suspension. Very easy to bolt in and you fit a fairly big tire with the extra clearance...

Change to big bolt on the back for sure and if you have some money put in a RMS street Lynx rear suspension. Very easy to bolt in and you fit a fairly big tire with the extra clearance...

what is this RMS?

Had a 275/50-17 I think it was on the rear of my dart. Decent sized tire. Stock wheel wells. No mini tub.

Used RMS street lynx rear suspension.

DSC_0019.jpg

And you could do the street Lynx without welding the second set of perches, it's not at all necessary

Yeah... I forgot those..it's a few years since I did one. But you could bolt it all in on the driveway and have any welder with a portable rig stop in and stick in about a half hour

I'm going to pull the stock suspension out of my 69 gold brick this winter and bolt in a RMS front and rear set

IMG_0367.JPG

RMS is a little pricey. Whats the story on the mopar spring relocation kit?

RMS is a little pricey. Whats the story on the mopar spring relocation kit?

RMS sells a nice spring relocation kit too. Reasonable price too.

Basically you are moving the springs into the frame. You have to cut a section out and weld a spring box in. Also have to move the spring perched on the rear in some also. To get the most out of that though you need to mini tub.

They make a kit to move the springs in like 3/4 of inch. May just have to move the spring perches and no other welding. May be able to just drill new holes in the perch too but not 100% sure on that.

RMS sells a nice spring relocation kit too. Reasonable price too.

Basically you are moving the springs into the frame. You have to cut a section out and weld a spring box in. Also have to move the spring perched on the rear in some also. To get the most out of that though you need to mini tub.

They make a kit to move the springs in like 3/4 of inch. May just have to move the spring perches and no other welding. May be able to just drill new holes in the perch too but not 100% sure on that.

I need to find someone around here that is familiar with this and pay them to do it..

Hey mopower440, I have a 70' dart that I put offset hangers on and have 255/60/15s, 7 inch wide rims with 4 1/4 back space after I was done I found I could have put 275/60/15s on an 8 inch rim with more back space.

Jeff

DSCN0376.JPG

I should have added, No welding at all and the rims are small bolt pattern. I got the kit Fromm Dr.Diff.

Jeff

Hey mopower440, I have a 70' dart that I put offset hangers on and have 255/60/15s, 7 inch wide rims with 4 1/4 back space after I was done I found I could have put 275/60/15s on an 8 inch rim with more back space.

Jeff

View attachment 1715044950

This would suit me just fine!!!!!! How did you do it with no welding? fill me in on this deal!!

Duh, Good catch abodyjoe, Yes I had to weld new spring perches on the axle housing. I've been having a lot of Brain farts lately, I guess I'm finally old! Sorry for any confusion mopower440.

Jeff

-
Back