Confirmation on wiper switch and misc.

-

Jhenry70

Reaction score
Hi all,

1972 Duster
After doing a lot of research here and elsewhere, I do believe I have the wrong switch for my wiper motor. Looks like I have the variable speed wiper motor (picture attached) and possibly a 2 speed switch (also attached). Numbers on the switch are 3488839 - 23199. The factory under dash harness will plug into the switch that I have but one spade from the switch is not in line with the harness. Harness has 6 connectors and switch also has 6 spades... Just not the same configuration.

Can someone confirm for me that I'm on the right track? And where's a good place to get a variable speed switch without breaking the bank? :)

My dash is out but I have my gauge cluster plugged in to the harness, under dash harness is connected to steering column, gauges, heater controls. Engine harness and wiper motor harness is all connected. Do not have body harness (rear lights, dome, fuel sender, etc) connected or the headlight forward harness connected.

I have power to my accessories, heater, wipers, radio, etc. But no gauge lights... Read on another thread that power to gauge lights are dependent on the body harness and power to the tail lights... Does this harness need to be in place to test gauge lights? Is there a jump that can be done to mimic this circuit to test gauge lights?

Car is basically a shell and rear body harness is in bad shape headlight harness is in good shape but I have it laid out on the bench going through it looking for bad wires, splices, etc. I want to put in the relays for the head light circuits as well. If anyone has a good diagram of that mod it would be appreciated as well.

Jerry

Attachments

• image.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 363
I always refer wiper questions to two important places

The Passion for Mopars page

http://www.passion4mopars.com/

http://www.passion4mopars.com/Mopar-Wiper-Motor-Switch-Numbers-and-Applications_b_12.html

and the factory shop manual, which you can download, free, at MyMopar. Some of those manuals, including the '72, came from the guys on here

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Once you match the switch to the motor, refer to section 8 of the shop manual, both the wiring diagrams and the sub-section in chapter 8 on wipers. Do a "wire by wire" matchup of the switch to motor wiring.

Thanks, I missed the link for the switches on the passion4mopars site. It's buried in the middle of a bunch of other items and didn't see it. So the switch is confirmed as a 2 speed out of a 73-74 valiant. Now to find the correct switch, not seeing a clearly defined variable switch for a 72 valiant/dart on that list....

I have all the manuals and resources you listed, that's how I got to the point I'm at now, just looking for others to confirm that im on the right track and not spinning my wheels. By the time I've decided to post here, I've spent time looking through the manuals, poring over the wires and tried to resolve it on my own. Posting here in hopes to gain some confidence that this newbie isn't screwing it all up.

My harnesses are intact, just now need to find the correct switch.

I've pored all through my service manuals and can't seem to locate the diagram for the body harness anywhere. 8-161 refers to the plug for the body harness.

Since you're kind of mismatched there, I'd check the crank arm also and make sure you have a three speed/variable speed crank arm. It'd be a shame to get a good working switch and find out there's one more piece of the puzzle to solve and a two speed crank on a three speed motor can bind the linkage and overheat the motor. Just remember turning the switch off does not cut the power to the switch. As long as the key is in the "ON" or "ACCESSORY" position, the motor is being fed.

Source for switches? I ALWAYS use Jim at JSRestorations for any switches I'm in need of. He stands behind his product and they are completely restored, none of this clean it up and test it and call it restored switches out of Jim.

Since you're kind of mismatched there, I'd check the crank arm also and make sure you have a three speed/variable speed crank arm. It'd be a shame to get a good working switch and find out there's one more piece of the puzzle to solve and a two speed crank on a three speed motor can bind the linkage and overheat the motor. Just remember turning the switch off does not cut the power to the switch. As long as the key is in the "ON" or "ACCESSORY" position, the motor is being fed.

Source for switches? I ALWAYS use Jim at JSRestorations for any switches I'm in need of. He stands behind his product and they are completely restored, none of this clean it up and test it and call it restored switches out of Jim.

Thank you so much for the info. I do know that my wiper motor, crank arm, under dash harness, wiper motor harness, and all other wiper parts are stock to the car. I didn't have a gauge cluster when I got the car. I boutght one off of a member here that sold it to me with the switches. So it's a pretty good bet the switch is a 2 speed and I have a variable speed setup. **** happens...

Although I will be looking for the correct switch, if the need arises is there a known way to make a jumper harness from my harness plug to the 2 speed switch to get basic operation?

Although I will be looking for the correct switch, if the need arises is there a known way to make a jumper harness from my harness plug to the 2 speed switch to get basic operation?

Only way I know to attempt that is to dig into the shop manual and see if you can do so. EG about page 8-110 is a switch continuity chart. Maybe you can build on that. If you download the 73 manual, long about page 8-100 has some wiring diagrams

This is one area I'm "shakey." Everytime an issue comes up I have to dig in and figure it out. There are just too many "variables," no "3 speeds" about it LOL

This is one area I'm "shakey." Everytime an issue comes up I have to dig in and figure it out. There are just too many "variables," no "3 speeds" about it LOL

Yeah, this will be a last ditch effort for me if I go that route... will be absorbed in some diagrams for sure if I get there. In the mean-time I've contacted the original seller of my gauge cluster and switches to see if he has a correct switch in his inventory and what the cost would be to "Switch" them out. Not his fault when I bought the cluster, I should have made a point to let him know I had a variable setup at the time. I had no clue back then that there were different options on the wiper motors available... I've learned so much in the past year though.

Thank you so much for the info. I do know that my wiper motor, crank arm, under dash harness, wiper motor harness, and all other wiper parts are stock to the car. I didn't have a gauge cluster when I got the car. I boutght one off of a member here that sold it to me with the switches. So it's a pretty good bet the switch is a 2 speed and I have a variable speed setup. **** happens...

Variable or three speed wiper motor with a two speed switch will give you high speed only and the motor will park only where you turn it off at. You get the same scenario if you have a two speed motor and a three speed switch. So you can get a very basic operation, HIGH speed and you'll get real good at when to click the switch to off so it parks in a fairly reasonable area of the windshield :eek:ops:

Variable or three speed wiper motor with a two speed switch will give you high speed only and the motor will park only where you turn it off at. You get the same scenario if you have a two speed motor and a three speed switch. So you can get a very basic operation, HIGH speed and you'll get real good at when to click the switch to off so it parks in a fairly reasonable area of the windshield :eek:ops:

Passion4Mopars, can you tell which motor I have by the first picture I posted?

X2 Passion.

Same issue I had with 69 Dart project, three speed motor, 2 speed switch.
Operates when switch fully to right and still parks though regardless where wipers are.
Good info also.
Don't plan on using wipers anyhow.

Dave.

There are some numbers on the barrel of the motor. What are those numbers?

I'll have to get back down to my shop to get the numbers. Haven't been at the shop much during the week it's been too dark with the time change. My buddy blew out our electrical about a week ago using his plasma cutter and the electrician won't be there until the end of this week to put in a new panel for us.:violent1:

X2 Passion.

Same issue I had with 69 Dart project, three speed motor, 2 speed switch.
Operates when switch fully to right and still parks though regardless where wipers are.
Good info also.
Don't plan on using wipers anyhow.

Dave.

I plugged in my switch to see what it would do... the wipers only come on if you cycle the switch a couple of times and then they don't shut off until you unplug the switch... not a good scenario. I'd prefer not to use the wipers either, but I want to make this girl a driver during the spring and summer and they just might be needed a time or two...

Jerry

I can't read the numbers on the cylinder, boy I wish I could, maybe in my younger days LOL But it's a three speed/variable speed depending on the switch. If you have a three speed switch with three very distinct positions it'll operate as a three speed, if you have a variable speed switch, it will operate as a variable, the switch determines that, but it's a three speed motor

But...

3488839 VAL, DART 73, 74 TO 6/3/74 2 SPD WIPER SWITCH
3488839 VAL, DART 73, 74 TO 6/3/74 switch 2 Spd wiper
3488839 VAL, DART 73, 74 TO 6/3/74 2 SPEED WIPER SWITCH U3746851

You have a two speed switch.

I can't read the numbers on the cylinder, boy I wish I could, maybe in my younger days LOL But it's a three speed/variable speed depending on the switch. If you have a three speed switch with three very distinct positions it'll operate as a three speed, if you have a variable speed switch, it will operate as a variable, the switch determines that, but it's a three speed motor

But...

3488839 VAL, DART 73, 74 TO 6/3/74 switch 2 Spd wiper
3488839 VAL, DART 73, 74 TO 6/3/74 2 SPEED WIPER SWITCH U3746851

You have a two speed switch.

Thanks! I was able to get to the shop yesterday here are the numbers on the cylinder of the motor itself.

And yes, 348839 is the switch I have.
it's a 1972 Duster. What would be the part numbers for a 3 speed or variable switch? I couldn't seem to locate the part number on the list of switches for that year on the website.

Awesome day! Buddy and I found an old iron honey pit about 6 acres full of cars in star thistle and blackberry vines about 2 hours from me. Got my 3 speed wiper switch for $5!!!!
Plus a set of near perfect arm rest bases and pads for $30.
Score!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 190
One thing that might bite you if you don't already know, is that the wiper motor grounds through the switch to the dash metal.
If the switch isn't mounted or otherwise grounded it won't work when you try the new switch.

Just saved you a "WTH?" moment. :D

Going back up there soon... Found a 72 Gold Duster just like mine with a good hood, mines got bondo across the nose, and it has all the stainless trim as well.

One thing that might bite you if you don't already know, is that the wiper motor grounds through the switch to the dash metal.
If the switch isn't mounted or otherwise grounded it won't work when you try the new switch.

Just saved you a "WTH?" moment. :D

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

-
Back