Confused on Spring kit 68 dart

-

spazman1990

Reaction score
Hello all i'm new to the forums and i'm asking for help i have sum knowledge on theses cars i'm just having a issue with the drums i understand that Napa should have the correct spring kit but i cant locate it, Auto zone has many different types but none fit the car it's a 1968 Dodge Dart with a 5.2 318 in it.

I put the engine in it and along with the tranny need to fix a small transmission leak that would cause it to leak when the trans fluid is hot but before i fix that i want new brakes all the way around working on the front atm. heres a picture to better describe what im asking. I need a spring kit that will work for a 10 inch drums and shoes.

before i took the shoes off..

after

I am surprised that NAPA does not have anything.

I think that all of 10" drum brakes from Chrysler are the same, so any make will do.

Good luck on your project

Napa doesn't carry **** for these cars anymore or any other retail supplier. Best bet is just to order from rockauto.com

This kit should work front or rear
WAGNER Part # H7129 {#F78541} Combi Kit One of our most popular parts
Rear; 10 x 1-3/4" Brake

$5.59 at rockauto.com

x2 Rock Auto.com. That backing plate looks kinda damp. You might ought to pick up a couple of wheel cylinders.

well the cylinders are gone also but it's wet cuz of break cleaner, However i got my friend to order them with any luck he will listen..

Your upper ball joint looks a little rough, check both uppers and lowers while you're there. It's a good time to go through the front end and replace any defective parts. Are you getting the drums turned?

cant not enough meat on the bones yeah going to get alot of stuff from Rockauto.Recently auto zone ,napa and every things slacking on this car so would rather get it from a place that seems to know something about theses day cant blame the employees tho there busting there *** to get you're parts at least here in kingman.. yeah anything plastic is gone on this car along with the brake line.

Rock Auto, Dorman part number- HW-7129 or Raybestos- H-7129. This is for 10"front or rear Drum brakes.

I like to convert over to the "newer" style of breaks. The bottom spring will then go from one shoe to the other instead of going to the adjuster bracket.

Tell them that you are doing brakes on a 72 Duster 318 with drum brakes.

If you need new springs for the parking brake strut lever, they do not come in the spring kit. Order part #80744 from NAPA. They come 2 in a box. This is the oval spring with the "hook" on it...

Pep Boys have most of the maintenance type stuff in a day or two. Good experience here with them.

I bought a drum "hardware kit" at Autozone a few years ago for my 65 Dart w/ 10" drums. Cost ~$9 and each kit does both sides. It has the later self-adjuster, which works better than yours. Just ask for a ~1973 Dart. My only issue was that my rear shoes are thinner, so had to re-use my "shoe pins". You can find photos here or in the shop manual of how it should look assembled. I don't even think it is even "Mopar", just the basic "Bendix" design used on most cars. I use gasoline and a brush to get my backing plate spot-less before adding components.

I would definitely change the rubber boot on your upper ball joint, and the joint itself if loose or rusted. A few blows w/ a pickle fork should separate it, not like you need to worry about ruining your boot. I always use polyurethane boots.

Your bottom spring does not look right to me but my cars are 70 to 72 maybe they changed something. My cars have a long spring going across the bottom, shoe to shoe the spring you have is going shoe to brake adjuster swivel . On my cars the swivel has an arm spring that keeps the tension on it, perhaps someone else can chime in on this. The swivel arm spring does not come in the spring kits

Shadow,
Your car has the newer hardware kit. As mentioned, the self-adjuster design changed. The new design is better and easier to find, so most use that.

Your bottom spring does not look right to me but my cars are 70 to 72 maybe they changed something. My cars have a long spring going across the bottom, shoe to shoe the spring you have is going shoe to brake adjuster swivel . On my cars the swivel has an arm spring that keeps the tension on it, perhaps someone else can chime in on this. The swivel arm spring does not come in the spring kits

Well i would like to make this hole process to be easier having a issue with finding the spring kit . mabye i could find a kit for like 50 bux for the ones you're saying that has everything. all i need is the spring at the bottom thats the only one thats small and that broke.. thanks all

Well i would like to make this hole process to be easier having a issue with finding the spring kit . mabye i could find a kit for like 50 bux for the ones you're saying that has everything. all i need is the spring at the bottom thats the only one thats small and that broke.. thanks all

I got the book for the dart 67-74 i think i see what you're talking about looks like the rear set up sortive. cuz it has the bar for the Parking break. all i need is the spring for the front to go to the Adjusting thing and i want one that thats small i broke the last one.

mabye i could find a kit for like 50 bux for the ones you're saying that has everything. all i need is the spring at the bottom thats the only one thats small and that broke.. thanks all

spazman,
Are you not reading the replies? Not $50 and maybe, but ~$9 and "for sure" at Autozone (and others). I told you what to ask for. One kit does one axle, which means both sides of your fronts or rears.

-
Back