Conical Manifold Washers

-

pablo2541

Reaction score
Hello you wonderful FABO's! I'm putting my /6 back together and can only find 4 of my washers. I'm supposed to have 8, right? Anyone have a spare parts bucket overflowing with these little buggers?! Thanks!

I'm fairly sure I have those. Aren't some of them T shape to catch both manifolds though ?

I have all the hardware. You should have only one conical washer (for the middle stud) 2 brass washers for the end studs, 2 castleated nuts for the end studs, and the rest should be triangle washers with fine thread nuts.
Thanks, Mark

I have all the hardware. You should have only one conical washer (for the middle stud) 2 brass washers for the end studs, 2 castleated nuts for the end studs, and the rest should be triangle washers with fine thread nuts.
Thanks, Mark

That's right. Triangle shaped not T shaped. I have 4 of those on a couple of bolts that pass through chain links to create a loop.
Cheers

Check it:
fsm-washer-locations.jpg

courtesy of slantsix dot org

P>S> "Note that "later" SL6 engines came with only one round conical washer in the top center position. All the other were triangular type. This combination is also acceptable but installation of the lower, inner triangle washers can be a challenge, especially the one under the choke stove mounting pocket.."

courtesy of slantsix dot org

Except for the ends and middle stud, I've only seen triangle washers on the rest. Starting in the 70's they made the triangle washer much thicker so they don't warp as easily. I've used a couple different methods for installing the bottom center two triangle washers. If you have compressed air and a nozzle, I'll slide the washer up the shaft of a long #2 phillips screwdriver, place the tip of the screwdriver on the end of the stud, and then blow the washer right down the screwdriver shaft and onto the stud. If you don't have air, you can also use a long handled magnet to push the washer in place and then use a long, thin screwdriver to push against the washer as you pull the magnet out.
Otherwise, you need to grab the neighbors 4 year old to reach their little hand in there but with my luck they'd put in on backwards! :)

The first time I tried, it probably took me half an hour to get all the washers on. The second time I tried...it took 3 minutes lol. Just use one of those long magnets to get the washer in place and then use a screwdriver to push it on to the stud.

If you don't have a magnet, you can also use thread or tiny fishing line to tie to the washer and dangle it down into the crack while you push it on the stud with a screwdriver or extension. It will stink a little until the line burns off but won't hurt anything.

-
Back