connecting rod side play?

-

SirDan

Reaction score
I am taking a motor apart rite now to hopefully rebuild it. It was a good running motor when pulled a long time ago.

All of the connecting rods slide back and forth a lot!(parallel to the crank). I guess that is normal? can anyone explain why they are like that?

Loose bearings, normal wear. I'd check for clearance and if the crank is ok replace them. My vans bearings are like that. I just run a little heavier oil. It's almost 20 yrs old and getting tired.

Loose bearings, normal wear. I'd check for clearance and if the crank is ok replace them. My vans bearings are like that. I just run a little heavier oil. It's almost 20 yrs old and getting tired.

He's not talking about bearing clearance......he's talking about rod side play -- the space between the rods when each is up against the journal on the crank.

Years ago, I called several machinists after having a crank reworked on a 440. The side clearance as I recall was over .020 I'm thinking about .025 on one rod pair

The machinists all pretty much said "it might use a little oil" but "it will hang together."

your cylinder walls will get some extra oil.......

.020-.030 wont hurt a thing. A little extra oil for the cylinders is all.

What they said, There should be some movement, but as long as it's not beyond something like .040... it's fine. Side clearance isnt really a big deal and I know of some race engines that have more.

Too much side clearance is way better than not enough. Roll with it.

-
Back