Connectors

-

Joel Chapman

Reaction score
So I am really bad at reading wiring diagrams, so can anyone help me out and tell me what these connectors should be for? I just want to make sure they are for options the car didn’t come with and not something I need to find the other half. The first four pics are connectors from behind the instrument panel and the last picture is from behind the glove box this is a 71 dart swinger btw.
4D6A758F-391D-4FB5-A344-3AA37FE218CE.jpeg
BCDCE84A-1CF9-43EF-BC6C-A08B5068241D.jpeg
98FBA824-0799-40D9-8556-0C0E3FB69070.jpeg
FF2AC04D-27B9-4F39-A5B9-F5C0BDFA2E59.jpeg
BAFE1CB8-F230-46AC-8908-DBAF109B7747.jpeg

Last edited:
You need a factory service manual instead of the usual 2 page aftermarket diagrams. You can get either at MyMopar for free. Just look over the diagram for the same pattern as the connector and same wire colors. Another clue is the area "where they are" near the radio, the heater, etc

In your case I don't think MyMopar has a complete 71 Dodge manual, you'll have to settle for the 71 Plymouth chassis manual

For example, the top photo, look at 8-160, page 381. Looks like a heater connector

Still can’t really find anything, any chance these are just connectors to options my car didn’t come with?
Thats not something we find often in these old Chryslers. Maybe just look for what components are missing in this area, climate controller, signal flasher, etc...

Thats not something we find often in these old Chryslers. Maybe just look for what components are missing in this area, climate controller, signal flasher, etc...
I tried looking all over and other than the pics above didn’t find anything that wasn’t hooked up. Only thing I’ve found that wasn’t hooked up was the wires going to the dash speaker.

Still can’t really find anything, any chance these are just connectors to options my car didn’t come with?
Yes.
So I am really bad at reading wiring diagrams, ...
OK.
I have the factory manual and was looking it over last night
Sounds like you're trying.
How 'bout we help you you get better at deciphering them?

'71 FSM provides a couple ways to tackle this; the wiring diagrams, and the cable diagrams for wiring 'adaptations'. My understanding is that 'Adaptations' are how they make the harness and connections fit or 'adapt' to the body.

Last edited:
If you're better working on paper, print figure 15 (or 16 if the car has a rallye cluster) and tape the two pages together. Also might want the accessory diagrams that follow.
Now lets take the connector in your 3rd and 4th picture. It looks like it has a relatively thin yellow wire..

On the wiring diagram look for a small gage yellow wire.
Here's a couple.
upload_2020-9-17_18-24-57.png

M is the circuit, 2 and 6 indicate the segement of wire.
20 is the SAE wire gage (20 is about as small as you'll find carrying power in the car)
Y is the color - Yellow.
So your connector is most likely a part of the return for the dome light and any other interior lamps. Grounding any one of these yellow wires completes the circuit.

Here's a connector on the accesory diagrams that looks like it might be a candidate for the one in your last photo.
upload_2020-9-17_18-44-7.png

And it looks like 'M' identifies wires related to interior lighting.

Last edited:
If you're better working on paper, print figure 15 (or 16 if the car has a rallye cluster) and tape the two pages together. Also might want the accessory diagrams that follow.
Now lets take the connector in your 3rd and 4th picture. It looks like it has a relatively thin yellow wire..

Here's a couple.
View attachment 1715596939
20 is the SAE wire gage (20 is about as small as you'll find carrying power in the car)
Y is the color - Yellow.
So your connector is most likely a part of the return for the dome light and any other interior lamps. Grounding any one of these yellow wires completes the circuit.

Here's a connector on the accesory diagrams that looks like it might be a candidate for the one in your last photo.
View attachment 1715596959
Thank you so much it really has helped me understand the diagrams better!

Here's a couple.
View attachment 1715596939
Y is the color - Yellow.

View attachment 1715596959

Geez I nearly guessed "map" and didn't see that

Pink and brown almost always map!

-
Back