Console lid spring?

-

chrgdrt

Reaction score
67 Barracuda center console, seems to me I remember there being a spring to hold the lid in the open position, my current one has no spring. Does anyone have any pics of the spring and how it goes on, nothing in the service manual or catalogs I could find..
thanks.

20220225_092150.jpg

69 version.

Yep, not a spring but a catch to keep it open.

The metal tab keeps the lid "open". The spring is built into the hinge and keeps the lid closed.

thanks for the replies, I'll check mine out this afternoon. I must have been spending too much time in my e-body, has a latch for closed and then a spring to hold it open over center.
I had a 68 back in the day but obviously my memory may be a bit clouded.

It should have the bracket posted above. Every early console I've had was the same way, including 2 '66s and 2 '67s.
It has the bracket but there is nothing about it to hold the top open, at least on my car, never was even in the 80s when I first got the car. Maybe there is an indent that is worn or the lid is out of adjustment. My lid will not stay open, never did.

Alan

The bracket can be adjusted and/or bent to work. Yes, the lip could be worn away, but I've never seen that.

Checked mine out this morning, no spring but it does have the bracket, also here’s a pic of my e-body console with the spring as part of the hinge.

EF4C5BAA-324E-44B5-AFD9-92B8C1BAC12E.jpeg

71EA388B-7F92-4B21-9C8F-CF3D4C11DCAA.jpeg

67 Barracuda center console, seems to me I remember there being a spring to hold the lid in the open position, my current one has no spring. Does anyone have any pics of the spring and how it goes on, nothing in the service manual or catalogs I could find..
thanks.
The hinge has a wound spring built into it. That's what keeps the lid closed. There should be an angle bracket attached to the lid at the rear end. This bracket has a tab on it's end that rubs against a bump (detent) in the rear of the console. That is what is supposed to hold the lid open. It's adjustable as mentioned.

The spring is in the 'piano hinge' attached along the whole top. Older ones held the lid closed, newer ones with the latch button sprung the lid open. It is the same hinge just installed upside down. Doesn't the bracket at the end of the door just keep it from opening too far and damaging the lid and console?

The spring is in the 'piano hinge' attached along the whole top. Older ones held the lid closed, newer ones with the latch button sprung the lid open. It is the same hinge just installed upside down. Doesn't the bracket at the end of the door just keep it from opening too far and damaging the lid and console?
Nope, it holds it open if it's adjusted correctly. Like this.....

consolelid.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back