Console mounting.

-

ajarofclay

Reaction score
Gentleman, many many moons ago I had the console out of my car for some customization and when putting it back together, I recall it being a bit of a fight to get holes lined up. Flash forward almost 50 years and I am more aware, mechanically inclined and picky. I'm now trying to put my interior back together along with said console and it is crooked; About 3/4 of an inch from front to back. It's actually slightly offset from Center which I can see I guess but the twist makes no sense to me. I included a picture of the rear bracket and the holes are a little offset as is the form stamping. Are any of you aware of this or have run into this before? Normal? I remember I had to elongate the holes that are on the bottom of the storage compartment a little bit, way back when but didn't think much of it then. Like I stated, I can bolt it down now but it's a little bit of a fight to get the screws started and it would be crooked. As always, I appreciate any thoughts and information.

20240121_131152.jpg

I would think the front and rear mounts welded to the floor would dictate if the console sits parallel to the car or off parallel.

If the front bracket was welded 1/2 inch to the pass side and the rear 1/2 inch to the driver's side that would rotate the console in relation to the car.

If you loosen all the mounting screws can you move it a bit?

If it's an automatic is the shifter in the correct location and fit well?

When set into place the shifter does seem to move slightly from left while in park to right while in low but it's minimal because it's only a few inches while the console in general is off about 3/4 of an inch over the whole length. I just can't understand why it wouldn't be perfectly straight

Put it where you like it, making sure it is totally functional.
Drill a new hole .
Believe it, - you may have been the only one to notice since it left the factory . Nobody would measure, nor care .

Agree. I never paid zero attention to it before but it just seemed so obvious that I took measurements from both sides and it's definitely crooked from front to back. I was leaning towards just drilling a couple new holes in the bottom of the storage area as I'm sure the washers would cover it but it just seemed so bizarre that I wanted to find out if this is the norm or if something just got misaligned from the factory on mine.

Drill into the under bracket using the visible/existing holes, nobody will know, till it's taken off .
The alternative is move the brkt . (bfh)

Thinking on it, a person carrying the front seat out across the vehicle, could step on and squash that brkt .

Last edited:
PXL_20240122_031108287~2.jpg

67 dart

Passenger side

From the front bracket right side to the kick panel lip
26 3/4"

From the front most slot in the rear bracket to the rocker lip
28 3/4"

From the rear most slot in the rear bracket to the rocker lip
28 3/4"

Drivers side
From the front bracket left side to the kick panel lip
26 3/4"

From the front most slot in the rear bracket to the rocker lip
29"

From the rear most slot in the rear bracket to the rocker lip
29"

I was surprised how consistent the measurements were. On my front bracket the right side is bent to the left a tad as compared to the left side of it.

PXL_20240122_031108287~3.jpg

Last edited:
The front screw on the rear bracket is offset toward the passenger's side and hole inside the console is offset accordingly. Thats how it was on my '69. This really tripped me up when I went to weld rear bracket to the new floor pan. Why would they make that front screw offset like that I have no idea makes no sense.

I believe the screw in the rear of the rear bracket is centered in the car.

The console is centered side to side in the car and the transmission hump is offset a couple of inches to the passengers side. So the console sort of "hangs over" the trans hump on the drivers side.

When the console sits evenly between the two front seats then you know you have it correct. I bolted my seats in with console brackets mocked up before I welded the brackets to the floor. This way I know it will have a correct look once seats get their final install.

Console front hole offset.jpg

Console Seats Test Fit 2.jpg

The console is centered side to side in the car and the transmission hump is offset a couple of inches to the passengers side. So the console sort of "hangs over" the trans hump on the drivers side
Which you can see on the console itself. One side is longer than the other.

Its quite difficult to get a screw to go anywhere but into those slots. The tapered top causes the screw to swim about and find the slots. PIA really. When the aftermarket started reproducing the brackets, they put the same slots in them. Back when I made and sold console brackets (before aftermarket took that business with all their advertising) there were no slotted holes. End user would place the console right where they wanted it and install the included drill point screws with or without predrilling a small pilot hole. You might predrill a small pilot hole down through the hole in the console but if you're not far enough away your drill point might swim to that slot.
Good luck with it.

Much thanks to ALL and especially you '67 for the pics and details. I see the obvious right there in your main pic, the rear slot is centered as is the recess in the stamping itself. If you look at the pic I attached, you can see mine isn't. I took same type
measurements and didn't come up uniform like yours did. I will make adjustments as needed but can now sleep at night.:lol:There may be some other imperfections but I'm sure this was the main culprit. Thanks again, this site Rocks!

-
Back