Console Top Plate Fasteners

-

72Duster440

Reaction score
I'm looking for the nuts needed to secure the console top plate to the console base. I tried some random small hardware I had on hand and nothing fit. Are these something I can get at a hardware store, or am I out of luck? I don't need factory original ones, just something that works.

I think you mean speed nuts.
74C474&o=5&pid=21.1&w=140&h=198&rs=1&qlt=100&dpr=1.jpg

Available in multiple sizes, they cut their own threads.

They are very small nuts. Take something with you to size them

Good Luck. The nuts on the gear selector box are tiny

I have ran a die down the pins and used washers and machine screw nuts. Your choice!

Is this a new top plate? The repop ones don't have studs that are "cut" to allow the speed nuts to tighten on to them. My console had all the speed nuts but none of them were the type with the collar around the edge like you see pictured above. So I wasn't able to get the nuts started on the studs to start cutting into them.

Out of the 50 or so speed nuts I have in my junk drawer, only one of them actually fit on the top plate studs so it's an odd size. I was able to use that one nut that actually had a collar to cut threads in all the studs. Then after that I was able to use the speed nuts that don't have a collar to install the top plate. Not sure how readily available the size is going to be at a local store. I'd personally take the top plate with me to make sure.

It's an old top plate, most of the studs are there, I think 2 are broken. I'll take it with me when I go look for some, my local Ace has a great selection of stuff like that.

Thanks for the offer Grampscamp, I'll see what I can find locally. If I strike out I may take you up on it.

I'm in no hurry, I need to fix the console still, it is cracked completely through in the front corner, and I'm modifying the top plate from working with my B&M ratchet shifter to work with a 4 speed.

Not to be OCD but... Okay I am. Technically they are PAL nuts. Speed nuts push on.

I just rebuilt my console and the original little nuts are hollow sheet metal, but installed the opposite way from the nuts shown - the hollow side sticks out, not toward the plate.

There are 2 different types of those nuts. Some are made for machine threads. Best/or first to come to mind in a-body example are on the back of gauges. Those are for #10-32 NF and will not cut threads.
I don't know that the other type that will cut threads in a soft tapered post may be listed in similar numeric sizes but I do know where there is a more common use of them... Vintage toys. In fact, there is a member here who has connections to toy restorers because he does some of it. I'm sorry I can't recall his user name. I'm just thinking such a company might sell and ship X number of one size and the others where a hardware vendor would likely stock boxes of 25 or 50 count. Google vintage toy restoration?
Good luck

Last edited:
I just rebuilt my console and the original little nuts are hollow sheet metal, but installed the opposite way from the nuts shown - the hollow side sticks out, not toward the plate.
They are on backwards if the hollow side is showing. But they will work that way, it's just that the flange of the nut is not supported against the part. Below is a photo of a palnut, speednut, and U or J nuts.

Nuts.jpg

They are on backwards if the hollow side is showing.

These aren't PAL nuts - no "washer" part so they are installed "upside down" because the flat of the hollow nut then lays on the attached part. They are made to be installed that way. Sorry but I'm not taking my console out to take a picture...

These aren't PAL nuts - no "washer" part so they are installed "upside down" because the flat of the hollow nut then lays on the attached part. They are made to be installed that way. Sorry but I'm not taking my console out to take a picture...

I recently took my console apart and they were installed the way you describe with the flat part against the surface of the bottom of the console.

Okay, Maybe I'm not understanding what you are talking about. What I displayed are palnuts. The hexagonal portion is made for a socket, otherwise it doesn't make sense to apply it upside down. Clearly I don't understand what you are describing. I have my console already apart and the palnuts were on the way I described.

I started to think maybe we are discussing the exact same thing. Here is a palnut installed the way it's supposed to be.
pal.jpg

There are smaller studs that are a part of the installation with this different type of nut

-
Back