Convert 67 to 68/ later tank straps?

-
I have thought about doing this on my 67 fb barracuda. When I replaced the trunk floor, the donor was a later dart. The anchors are a couple of tabs on the bottom of the spare tire area. But i am not sure where the other side of the strap goes. I will be watching this one:happy1::happy1:

oh pic of the anchor point:

http://1967barracuda.shutterfly.com/pictures/146#148

Simple really. There is a cross member with the upper shock posts attached. The slots cut in this member are huge block letter like T shape. The tank straps drops right in those. The 67 will have one example of the T slot cut into its left rear sub member.

If someone wants to go under a 68 up and pull measurements, that's great but...
all you really need is the later tank and straps. They will point at where the new slots belong.
Drill three 1/2 inch holes in a T formation and clear out the remaining with dremel, file, whatever.
The tough part is the floor of the spare well. There are a couple of pieces that stack up and weld together to create the tank support and spare wheel anchor.
I have seen those at repop websites before but they were pricey.

Thanks Red, the wheel well end was the end I was really worried about.

I guess I could "hold them up" there and do all of it before pulling the old strap, LOL

Any decent muffler shop can get around that J-bolt. They did on mine. If they can't, change shops.
Ma got'em in there for the '67 GTS 383.....

Thanks Red, the wheel well end was the end I was really worried about.

I guess I could "hold them up" there and do all of it before pulling the old strap, LOL

You really should have the correct tank so the straps lay in its spampings.
The pic above is a good example of where the anchors drop through slots in the spare floor. Again thats not just a 2X2 piece laying in the floor. It goes all the way across providing both of those anchors.

While we are on this subject I'll share my plan for my 67 vert.
My spare wont fit in the well anyway so I've got a space saver spare from a 94 town car along with its cover, that jack, etc, etc, to mount in the trunk.
I'm going to delete the spare tire well even raise that trunk floor area 2 inches. Then a plastic fuel tank from a 96 Cherokee fits, its straps, electric fuel pump, and all.

-
Back