Convert my '74 or sell it all and buy a '70?

Convert my '74 or sell it and buy a '70?

• Cut up the '70 and convert the '74.

Votes: 32 28.6%
  • Sell the '74's and restore the '70 Twister.

Votes: 39 34.8%
  • Sell everything and buy a complete '70.

Votes: 41 36.6%

• Total voters
-
Well it would be easier for me to decide if I saw pictures of the cars to tell how much work was needed to do what?

well then sell your 74 dusters and get a 70 duster or just restore your 70 twister. 70 dusters looks better and is worth money than 74.

What made it a Twister? I thought that was mostly just the graphics package with the shark's tooth grill, and ralley wheels?
I wouldn't think twice about this. I'd clone the best body and do it up with the Twister stripes. You've got all the parts. Go to it.
C

I guess it's not a Twister because it is a '70 according to the Vin and they didn't make the Twister until '71. I guess I assumed it was because of the Duster logo on the tail stripe. So now it's just a plain jane '70 Duster that I'm thinking of cutting up. Really nothing special there.

Do what ever is quickest and easiest for you. If that means selling everything and finding a driver then do it, or if you are comfortable with the metal work of turning the '74 into a '70 then do it. I am about to clone a '71 demon out of a '74 duster because it's relatively simple to do.

At the end of the day, the biggest thing to remember is that it's your car. Do what you want. Post your intentions here first, and if anybody feels strongly enough that they don't like your decision, let them step forward with a high enough offer to own it. Then it's their car, and they can do what they want.:D

Rant over, lol. I say go for it. I'm actually thinking of doing the same with a Dart. Clean 63,000 mile 75 Swinger, and I will eventually clone a 70 340 Swinger out of it. Only the VIN will tell the real story.....

And to those who feel a cloned car is worth less money, watch the Barrett Jackson shows sometime. Pay attention. A very nice clone sometimes brings as much as the real deal.:wack:

How much do you enjoy or hate doing major body work? A cloning isn't that major - just swapping parts. Rear quarter work is major.

How much time do you have for it?

Do you have the garage space?

Will your wife help or hound you about how long its taking?

I would scout around a little, post a notice here to see if a sweet deal on a 70 -72 pops up. Those cars are harder to come by but prices are way down and you never know. I think someone from Nevada had a roller here a bit ago and could not get a bite. Set a time interval and if nothing comes up, do a clone project. I'm doing a Demon clone, including a frame swap partly because I like the challenge.

Nobody can say what resale will be except nothing great in the near future.

I hate cars getting cut up, I realize it's a necessary evil sometimes but I believe that it should be avoided unless no other option is available, so I didn't vote for that.

I would convert the 74. I wouldnt put any of the twister specific parts unless necessary. After I was done I would sell all the twister specific parts I didnt use to make some extra money. After that I would pull everything off the leftover cars that are still good, Take whats left over, put it on craigs list, and if it doesnt sell after a month or two, haul it off to the scrap yard for some more money. But I would strip them good. Such as cutting out frame rails if they are still good. The scrapping thing would only be because I had some ugly heap in my yard. Around my shop we got tired of looking at a junkyard and sold as much as we could, scrapped the rest (such as about 5 trucks) and made a place for our "GOOD STUFF"

Unless someone comes along and wants to buy it all, I think it's going to get cup up. I don't have a lot of space so trying to store 4 cars is kind of tough. I've got them scattered everywhere. I've tried selling them on here and craigslist and I don't necessarily think I'm out of line on price but have had no bites at all. There is a '70 locally that I'd love to have but if I can't get rid of these then the money's not there to go buy it. I've already got everything to do the swap, and time is not an issue. She doesn't care when it gets done, just that it does get done at some point.

The body work side of it shouldn't be too bad. The car already needs lower quarters so I figure with the patch panels from AMD I'll get the rust repaired and put the correct marker lights in at the same time. Then it will be a matter of putting on the rear tail panel and making it fit correctly. Shouldn't be too bad though. The rest will just be nuts and bolts. Swap the K frame for the V8, install the 8.25 out of the other '74, etc. I should have some good parts for sale once the swap is all done. I know I'll have a ton of '74 stuff between this car and the other car I have. Could definitely build a complete car out of just that alone. Thanks for the opinions FABO.

yeah the reason i said pick the one with the best body and convert that is because if the body is bad underneath you need a roto and have to pull every single thing off the car so you can flip it & spin it around and work on it... ultra pro's also send it out on a roll back when it's stripped down to the inner shell and get it sandblasted before they start welding.

that is big work, so starting with the best body will save you months and tons of work. full off resto is either a long long process or lots of cash

I was going to convert my 74 dart but when I found out how few 74's there were to the older ones I decided to keep it original. I decided to just convert the rear finish panel and tail lights to Valiant instead. Whatever you think looks best in the end is what you should shoot for.

................Cloning started out as taking the power train from a wrecked R/T or Cuda wheather it be a charger or cuda and putting all the badging etc on/in the car to make it appear as such...all this went into the same type car...kinda all right for yourself,maybe,...Alot of ppl have gotten screwed over by this type of deception buying something thats not the real deal as owners of these cloned cars saw the $$ that could be made............Sure we will never sell it LOL, te he he.....by changing the front and rear panels your making a car into something it is not [duster into demon]....then there's the little deal of insurance, cause the car is not what u say it is or appears to be, or the right year........sure, we can sluff it by, but what happens if u get into an accident.....up here in Canada thats called FRAUD...............kim.........

yes. there is a 1969 hemi dart been advertised here and all over the internet for $90,000. no vin number ever posted ;) all records show that Hurst was commissioned to make those in 1968 and no mention ever of making them in 1969.

................Cloning started out as taking the power train from a wrecked R/T or Cuda wheather it be a charger or cuda and putting all the badging etc on/in the car to make it appear as such...all this went into the same type car...kinda all right for yourself,maybe,...Alot of ppl have gotten screwed over by this type of deception buying something thats not the real deal as owners of these cloned cars saw the $$ that could be made............Sure we will never sell it LOL, te he he.....by changing the front and rear panels your making a car into something it is not [duster into demon]....then there's the little deal of insurance, cause the car is not what u say it is or appears to be, or the right year........sure, we can sluff it by, but what happens if u get into an accident.....up here in Canada thats called FRAUD...............kim.........

I guess that's one person's opinion of it. If there is nothing hidden or left undisclosed then it is what it is. It's a modified 1974 Plymouth Duster. It doesn't matter whether I change the front sheetmetal and tail panel, or build a full blown custom show car that's unrecognizable as a Duster. It's still what the title and VIN say it is. It's not being sold for profit, it's not being offered as a 1970 anything, it just looks the part for my own personal gain. Because I prefer the look of that style than the '74. I have tried selling it to buy a '70 and have had no luck so I've decided to go this route. I have all the parts to do it so now all I'm out is time. Even if I did try and sell it done, I imagine there's not going to be a crowd of people standing in line to buy a Furious Fuschia Plymouth Duster. Not exactly anything special.

It's no different than bolting parts on a new vehicle. My Dodge truck now has a painted bumper and grill instead of the chrome one it came with. Does that mean I'm trying to pass it off as something it is not? If I bolt an SRT-10 hood on it, and put some chrome wheels on it, it doesn't make any difference to the insurance company that they aren't factory. If I bolt an '06 front clip on it because I like the look, they will replace those parts for what they are if something happens. They insure it for what it is, and they cover modifications that I, the customer, have paid for. At least mine does any way.

The main point of this build is being forgotten here.. it is for YOUR WIFE!

1 - You dont want the build to take a long time.
2 - Your wife likes the look of a 70 Duster, not the provenance of one.
3 - You want the safest car for her.. solid body, no rot. One you can put your time/money into things to make her driving experience better.
4 - You have what you need to easily convert to what you want.

Convert it, and get her Moparin..

Grant

as long as the vin number and title are all 1974 there isn't anything wrong with it.. when you run into legal issues is when you start changing numbers to make the car what you want. what the original poster is doing is personalizing his car. not changing numbers or anything.

The main point of this build is being forgotten here.. it is for YOUR WIFE!

1 - You dont want the build to take a long time.
2 - Your wife likes the look of a 70 Duster, not the provenance of one.
3 - You want the safest car for her.. solid body, no rot. One you can put your time/money into things to make her driving experience better.
4 - You have what you need to easily convert to what you want.

Convert it, and get her Moparin..

Grant

exactly

Go for the conversion if you have the parts it a simple conversion I did it to a 73 simply because i was in a similar situation I Had a nice doors forward 70 and a nice 73 shell bolt on except for the tailight panel which isn't hard as long as you have the parts!

-
Back