Converter has reached its limit

-

Toluene56

Reaction score
RIP torque converter.

Anyone have any good recommendations for a turbo car?

Screenshot_20230520_012808_dragy.jpg

20230519_191014.jpg

received_1451580085652625.jpeg

@TT5.9mag
Ultimate & PTC are always good.
But that is badass! What’s the combination consist of? I would be talking to Coan, too. They’ve been doing some development work for pro mod converters and were working on some nitro testing with converters. None of these options are inexpensive, but, well, boost!

@TT5.9mag
Ultimate & PTC are always good.
But that is badass! What’s the combination consist of? I would be talking to Coan, too. They’ve been doing some development work for pro mod converters and were working on some nitro testing with converters. None of these options are inexpensive, but, well, boost!
408 with a 7875 turbo.
3.55 gears
904 rmvb
Current converter is a yank. But it just blows through it as can be heard in the videos.

20230408_125153.jpg

20230408_125142.jpg

PTC, Coan, pro torque, FTI, yank. All good companies. I used Continental for all of mine as I had a friend working for them but unfortunately are now out of business. The best converter will be one built for your exact combo. If you have a company you trust just call em and have one built and you won’t regret it. The more data you give them the better it will be. Turbo cars like load so lock ups and low (relatively speaking like 4500) stall speeds are typical.

Your car is gettin with it now pretty good. 120mph in 1000ft with a pretty soft launch. Nice work.

PTC, Coan, pro torque, FTI, yank. All good companies. I used Continental for all of mine as I had a friend working for them but unfortunately are now out of business. The best converter will be one built for your exact combo. If you have a company you trust just call em and have one built and you won’t regret it. The more data you give them the better it will be. Turbo cars like load so lock ups and low (relatively speaking like 4500) stall speeds are typical.
I don't trust any of them. I guess that's the problem. I had yank build this one. But his son acted like he didn't give a **** when he was taking information, didn't even ask any good questions. I have sent In some requests to coan, ptc, circle d, edge.. so I guess I'll see if any of them call back. Might try Hughes, they had pretty good customer service with one of my transmissions.

Being you’re out west give Jeff Dice a call.
I’ve got some friends running his stuff in some high hp applications and he’s the guy you’ll call, builds your converter, answers your questions.

Dice Converters | diceconverters.com

Last edited:
I don't trust any of them. I guess that's the problem. I had yank build this one. But his son acted like he didn't give a **** when he was taking information, didn't even ask any good questions. I have sent In some requests to coan, ptc, circle d, edge.. so I guess I'll see if any of them call back. Might try Hughes, they had pretty good customer service with one of my transmissions.
Man that sucks. I wish I had some recourse for you. I would for sure call Yank again (even though it sounds like you don’t want to) and ask them to re stall your converter before I had another one built. Did you change up this combination after having the converter built? You’re obviously making quite a bit more power now.

Man that sucks. I wish I had some recourse for you. I would for sure call Yank again (even though it sounds like you don’t want to) and ask them to re stall your converter before I had another one built. Did you change up this combination after having the converter built? You’re obviously making quite a bit more power now.
Yes combo changed (was for nitrous). I'll call him. I had it done in 2021, it was always a bit loose. Probably easier for him to restall it anyways. They were local. Hopefully they didn't move.
They do good work, just wasn't impressed with the lack of caring. Lol

Edit... they moved to Ohio. That sucks.

ATI = Probably a 9 inch 069 J for you combo would
be my guess. However, talk to them

We run ATI in 10 different race cars currently.

Definitely not the cheapest!

You buy the Best = You only cry Once!

ATI = Probably a 9 inch 069 J for you combo would
be my guess. However, talk to them

We run ATI in 10 different race cars currently.

Definitely not the cheapest!

You buy the Best = You only cry Once!
Don’t think that will fit a 904 seeing it’s for a 727. Kim

Yes combo changed (was for nitrous). I'll call him. I had it done in 2021, it was always a bit loose. Probably easier for him to restall it anyways. They were local. Hopefully they didn't move.
They do good work, just wasn't impressed with the lack of caring. Lol

Edit... they moved to Ohio. That sucks.
I think even if you had to send it to em it would be a better deal for you than a new one. And since they built it for a nitrous combination it’s no wonder you’re blowing through it with a turbo setup. But re stalling it should be no big deal. Hopefully you get a little better customer service this time.

Don’t think that will fit a 904 seeing it’s for a 727. Kim
Opps = I missed the 904 part.
Indeed, it certainly would not!
I was 1/2 asleep when I posted the reply.

We explode the Pro Trans ($6,000)
904 about every 30/40 runs or so in our
Superstock car that is 575HP. I would guess
he is 700 to 750 HP?

When we are at the converter shop next week fixing
the Superstock converter again = i will ask him if it would
eve be possible to convert a 069 J to 904 hubs and splines.
But I doubt if it would be practical to do that.

Last edited:
Opps = I missed the 904 part.
Indeed, it certainly would not!
I was 1/2 asleep when I posted the reply.

he is 700 to 750 HP?

When we are at the converter shop next week fixing
the Superstock converter again = i will ask him if it would
eve be possible to convert a 069 J to 904 hubs and splines.
But I doubt if it would be practical to do that.
I think not to convert it but to build it the same as the J may be the better option. Kim

As I recall the J is built out of a 9 inch Ford Cortina core.
It would be very hard to find anymore (Not easy in the 60/70s)

It was utilized to harness the power of the Race Hemis.

I still have one on the shelf but I sold our Street Outlaw 71 Scamp
and will never build another race car that will need it.

he is 700 to 750 HP?

were at 103 passes on our incredibly stock component Chuck Lofgren built 904/ Ultimate converter combo. Picking up our “1000hp” 904 in June at Andrews Racing Transmission. We’re at 760ish HP.

9E16D75B-EC82-4411-A5AF-7E0A1CFB0ED7.jpeg

I just went through this. Filled out the spec sheet for two companies. Ultimate and PTC. Never heard anything from Ultimate, got one sentence response from PTC. (8”, $950 plus shipping) was the entire email. Which tells me they didn’t really read the spec sheet I sent in. I loved my 727 PTC converter, so I went through someone who has a relationship with them and knows what I’m doing with it. I provided every piece of info you could have needed. I understand that they probably get sheets with “it’s a 1000 hp big block Chevy hemi” or “it’s got a 3/4 race cam” but when EVERYTHING is on the sheet, including a warning about the VERY small tire, what you want the flash rpm, you would hope to get real recommendation or at least a call saying “what are you doing?!?!?” I had every number off the PTC 727 9.5” converter and put it on the sheet and just wanted the same converter in a 904 with 200-300 more flash rpm. I love the 9.5” PTC I got for the 904. Flashes spot on! Slips 4-5% at the stripe.

Just curious.. wouldn't it be cheaper/easier to send it back to yank for a rebuild/tightening up? It's not like they are a bad converter company...

I just went through this. Filled out the spec sheet for two companies. Ultimate and PTC. Never heard anything from Ultimate, got one sentence response from PTC. (8”, $950 plus shipping) was the entire email. Which tells me they didn’t really read the spec sheet I sent in. I loved my 727 PTC converter, so I went through someone who has a relationship with them and knows what I’m doing with it. I provided every piece of info you could have needed. I understand that they probably get sheets with “it’s a 1000 hp big block Chevy hemi” or “it’s got a 3/4 race cam” but when EVERYTHING is on the sheet, including a warning about the VERY small tire, what you want the flash rpm, you would hope to get real recommendation or at least a call saying “what are you doing?!?!?” I had every number off the PTC 727 9.5” converter and put it on the sheet and just wanted the same converter in a 904 with 200-300 more flash rpm. I love the 9.5” PTC I got for the 904. Flashes spot on! Slips 4-5% at the stripe.
I did the same thing.... filled out the spec sheet for both Ultimate and PTC. I then followed up with a phone call to PTC and I got the same, 8" $950 response. I had to ask what would the converter flash at and was told 5800. I then had to ask him to tighten it up and build it to flash 5200-5400. He said ok, took payment and hung up.

Hopefully I get what I want and not what he came up with. lol

I did the same thing.... filled out the spec sheet for both Ultimate and PTC. I then followed up with a phone call to PTC and I got the same, 8" $950 response. I had to ask what would the converter flash at and was told 5800. I then had to ask him to tighten it up and build it to flash 5200-5400. He said ok, took payment and hung up.

Hopefully I get what I want and not what he came up with. lol
I’m pretty sure I would have got it with 5000+ flash also. When I only wanted/can use 3500. Not sure how that would have gone. “Yeah, the 8” converter you sent, I need it tighten up 2000 rpm, you can’t do that? Well, you see right there in the spec sheet?” Not totally fair to PTC, because you take my little tire out of the question and north of 5000 is probably close to what my combo wants, but I’m very specific about what I’m doing with companies because it is so different.

Just curious.. wouldn't it be cheaper/easier to send it back to yank for a rebuild/tightening up? It's not like they are a bad converter company...
Cheaper maybe. Easier not so much anymore. They aren't local anymore so it's about as easy as everyone else. I'm going to get ahold of them maybe this time he won't act like it is a hindrance.

I bought a custom converter for my Cuda over the winter. The place i got it from is called Perfect Converter Company, or they also go by .501 Performance. They are out of Cleveland OH, and seem to cater to the street and no prep race crowd. I went to them based off of a recommendation from a trusted friend. A 10 minute conversation on the phone with them where i gave them engine and car specs, my plans and usage, then he shot me a price and described what the build would be. I ordered immediately, got the converter 3 or so weeks later. I have not been to the strip yet this year, but my street driving, and "Mexico driving" has me VERY happy with the build. This converter acts like a stock converter until you floor it, then it flashes to 5,000, and only has about 500-600 rpm drop when shifting. Exactly what i was looking for for my combo. This one replaced a PTC i was running last year......

I called yank to see if I could get it restalled and gone through, had to leave a message. Never got a call back.

In fact ONLY ONE company actually called me back to talk about the car and setup and they called me back within minutes. So I went with FTI this go around, comes with a free restall within the first year, so we can make sure it works the way I want. So far they have pretty good customer service. Hopefully it stays that way.

Circle D did email me back but said they won't build a 904 converter. (Oh well).

I have about a month before it will be on my doorstep. Then we'll see.

-
Back